Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu M5 M6 winterization

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an '01 Sunsetter LXI with the Hammerhead 365hp engine, does anyone know how many drain plugs it has - I couldn't find it in the manual anywhere?  My previous boat had a black scorpion engine and it had 8 drain plugs but I don't want to miss any.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Am I missing something  here. Every other Malibu I've  had said to remove the plugs and spray fogging  oil into the cylinders. The 2019 manual says. Nothing about that step. Is this not good for the M6?

Depending on where you read it and who says it, the claim is that it can harm/foul the cats. Right or wrong, I have never fogged and never had an issue come summer.  If I was concerned about the cylinder walls I would just bump start it once mid winter to sling some oil on them. JM2C

I edited the original to advise against just disconnecting the bottom hose from the exchanger at the tee.  I did that today, then also pulled it at the exchanger and quite a bit more water came out still.  I am not sure if it was a vacuum effect holding a column of water or something else, but I am glad I did it.  

9 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I edited the original to advise against just disconnecting the bottom hose from the exchanger at the tee.  I did that today, then also pulled it at the exchanger and quite a bit more water came out still.  I am not sure if it was a vacuum effect holding a column of water or something else, but I am glad I did it.  

That hose that connects to the bottom of the heat exchanger is shaped like a trap, and flexible enough that if you disconnect at the Tee and try to drain it, it pinches closed and keeps water in it. I did the same as you and was really surprised how much water was in there.

Supposedly that piece of tubing is getting modified soon, with a drain in it.

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

I've already asked my dealer for the part number as that particular connection is a bit of a pain, especially in relation to how easy everything else is.   

Yeah, i had my boat over at the dealer to have it installed, for several weeks. Still not done, apparently malibu is changing the part, that whole piece of tubing, or at least that is what they told me, so i have to wait until spring. 

If you get a part #, please post it for the rest of us struggling to be upside down trying to wrestle that hose off.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 8:34 PM, hethj7 said:

I've already asked my dealer for the part number as that particular connection is a bit of a pain, especially in relation to how easy everything else is.   

Thanks for this post.  I didn't look today but was rolling and thinking this is the easiest bu yet to winterize and then I couldn't find the one on the heat exchanger.  Guess I don't have it.  I'll finish this weekend.  I was going to install the valve but I think I'll just order a 2020. haha

Related note I was just going to run some RV antifreeze through it and it appears my flush valve is stuck.  I tried the two pumps I use and neither was strong enough.  Going to take it apart and see if its stuck (read this elsewhere).   

I don't have a water drain plug on the exchanger tube on my M6.  @hethj7  @asnowman Did you more easily get to the bottom of the heat exchanger reaching in from under the rear seat storage or from within the ballast/storage compartments?  I'm not much of a contortionist and the tube connection location seems just awkward enough to be difficult.   

I don’t have a 25 w the M6, but on my 23/M5 it was easily reachable by pulling the rear buckets or the inner panels in the ballast storage compartment. The hose clamp is easier to see and reachable from the bucket area, but you will have to get in the rear compartment to be able to pull the hose off of the exchanger. That hose is a lot thinner, hence more easily removed from the bottom of the exchanger than the raw water pick up hoses are from the VD.

• Like 2

@riffraff I had the divider out, and ended up getting the best position by hanging upside down, head into the rear locker. i disconnected the whole length of tube that connects into the bottom of the heat exchanger, that whole tube held a good amount of water in it. 

• 4 months later...
ahopkins22LSV

I just drained our 2020 M5. I thought, I’ll time it. Now I already had the cover rolled back but didn’t have the sun deck panels open or anything. 

It was 4 minutes and 4 seconds for me to open the sun deck, remove the warming tray, remover the starboard engine dividers, remove the two plus on that side. Decided to remove the port side exhaust manifold plug without removing the engine dividers and then opened the rear bench seat, remove that storage bin and remove the v-drive plug. I stopped the timer here. Absolutely awesome though. If you were in a rush you could have all four plugs removed and the boat recovered in less than ten minutes for sure. I opted to wait for everything to drain and put the plugs back in. You really can get any easier than that. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The heaters are full of antifreeze in the partial closed cooling boats.

pardon my ignorance, but are the new engines partially closed cooled?

1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

They are. 

Can you post a pic of what the drain under he heat exchanger looks like? My M6 doesnt have a drain there, so i have to remove the hose from the heat exchanger

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Can you post a pic of what the drain under he heat exchanger looks like? My M6 doesnt have a drain there, so i have to remove the hose from the heat exchanger

Yes no problem! It is a pretty simple fitting spliced into the hose, I am sure you could make something out of some plumbing parts.

19 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Yes no problem! It is a pretty simple fitting spliced into the hose, I am sure you could make something out of some plumbing parts.

i was told last year, there was an issue with the origional part, and it was being re-designed, i am still waiting for the new part to be available.