Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop for a 2000 Sportster LX

I dinged my prop the other night and I want to get it fixed and would like to look at getting another prop.  Not sure what prop is on there now other than it is a 4 blade prop.  What would anyone recommend for this boat.  The boat is used for skiing 95% of the time.

ahopkins22LSV

4 blade can actually create more turbulence in the wake and many times the 3 blade will take that out to make the wake smaller/softer. I know some companies run a four blade but the response line has come standard with the acme 515 for a long time. It’s going to perform just as good or better on a sportster because it’s s lighter boat. 

@EdK:  At skiing speeds, specifically the prop RPM, a 4 blade is closer to the limit of the prop from the following blade piercing the water thus losing efficiency.  The newer CNC 3 blade Acme's have as much actual blade area as the older 4 blades do.  Based on your location assuming within 1,000' of sea level, an Acme 515 would be a very good choice.  That small / light boat might even respond well to a 449.  I suggest you visit the Acme Propellers website, they have a prop calculator on the site that provides you with a recommended unit.  Both Acme and OJ offer great customer service and you can talk through your specific application with them for a recommendation.

• Like 3