Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 22 LSV shuts down at high stereo volume

CentralTXLAKELIFE

Hi at the end of last season I accidentally crossed wires on one of the batteries which resulted in blowing a few fuses and who knows what other problems.  Had tech come out to get boat ready for the summer and fix issues but he said the boat keeps shutting off when stereo is turned up to around 60-65%.  No other issues. He did mention the ignition breaker popped two times when testing boat but then stopped popping. No other functions seem impaired. He is stumped.  They want to take boat to shop but that would take a really long time and cut into season.  Any thoughts?

Edited by CentralTXLAKELIFE
8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Someone must have really been sick of listening to your music ;)

My initial thought would be that something is wrong in the amp

Do you think this would this cause it to shut off the boat? I've never heard of a defective amp causing a boat to shut off.   Or maybe I am reading his post incorrectly,  I believe he said it shuts down the boat (engine wont run) not the stereo turning off.

23 minutes ago, Fman said:

Do you think this would this cause it to shut off the boat? I've never heard of a defective amp causing a boat to shut off.   Or maybe I am reading his post incorrectly,  I believe he said it shuts down the boat (engine wont run) not the stereo turning off.

If something is causing a short maybe it could be causing the ecu to shut the motor down.  But just a wild guess based on stereo volume having anything to do with the motor shutting down. 

Hi all thanks for replies.  I charged and load tested both batteries and they were fine. I tested tonight and voltage was 14V at shutoff. Volume level gets to around 6-7.  Also the ignition breaker popped every time.  When breaker is reset I can start again. Same result with batteries 1/2/1+2.  Ignition breaker popped last fall when we throttled up a bit (no radio) with new batteries but after crossing wires on old batteries. So ignition control seems to be damaged?

Any other insights?

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Could be as simple as the breaker being bad.  Not really a good way to test that 

other than a relatively inexpensive-in-comparison-to-losing-your-boat-for-six-weeks-at-the-dealer ten minute breaker swap.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Circuit-Breakers/dp/B0051OWRHE/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=150a%2Bbreaker%2Bmarine&qid=1555073603&s=gateway&sr=8-6&th=1

(not sure 150A is the right amperage?)

Edited by shawndoggy
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

other than a relatively inexpensive-in-comparison-to-losing-your-boat-for-six-weeks-at-the-dealer ten minute breaker swap.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Circuit-Breakers/dp/B0051OWRHE/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=150a%2Bbreaker%2Bmarine&qid=1555073603&s=gateway&sr=8-6&th=1

(not sure 150A is the right amperage?)

Ignition breaker is 5 amps IIRC, if he is referring to the one at the helm area.

9 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Ignition breaker is 5 amps IIRC, if he is referring to the one at the helm area.

ah I was thinking of the "main" breaker by the batteries.  What's the rating on that one?