Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blown seals on Malibu trailer- The Vault

Agman

Sorry to hear.   So far so good.  No issues on my 2016 Malibu trailer with the vault system axles.     Good thing they have a up to 10 year warranty.   

12 minutes ago, Agman said:

I wish I could replace them myself, that’s my frustration with it

You can if you want.  There is nothing particularly special about the vault setup other than the grease you need to refill it with.

If you look at the service kit here, you can see the magic piece that allows you to overfill the hub and install the caps ;)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UFP-K71-029-00-Vault-Service-Kit-for-4-2K-545-and-5-2K-655-2-328/552817770?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227102963671&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=217712333662&wl4=pla-352155703651&wl5=9019644&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=552817770&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIus_Cga3E4QIVRNbACh2f8g1YEAQYAiABEgIr5PD_BwE

25 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Amazing what you can find at Walmart.

3 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Sorry to hear.   So far so good.  No issues on my 2016 Malibu trailer with the vault system axles.     Good thing they have a up to 10 year warranty.   

Their "warranty" is a joke.  Dig deeper, and they actually require you to inspect/service yearly.

Here is my experience with them last year.

5 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

The caps are cheap and easy to replace. Nothing in this world is lifetime, that’s just naive.

Well, if you read my thread, it was more than just caps.  And if it won't last for 10 years, don't put a sticker on every trailer saying it will.  That is false advertising.

I'm obviously not the only one with a problem, as evident in this thread.

8 hours ago, RyanB said:

Their "warranty" is a joke.  Dig deeper, and they actually require you to inspect/service yearly.

Here is my experience with them last year.

Honestly in your other thread - this says it all.

The "preload/endplay was extremely loose.  Castle nuts on all 4 spindles were 1/2 - 3/4 turn loose and could be turned by hand".

That says that the hubs/bearings were not preloaded properly and doesn't have anything to do with the vault system itself.   Jacking up the axle on a trailer and pushing/pulling/spinning the tire to check the bearing/preload condition is just normal annual trailer stuff. - No disassembly required to do it.

11 hours ago, Agman said:

I wish I could replace them myself, that’s my frustration with it

Back to your issue - was the seal on the same hub, or 2 different hubs?

If it was on 2 different ones then check the other 2 for play

If it was on one hub then jack that one up and check it, also consider bringing that tire/wheel in for balancing and see if it is way off.  Other option if it was the same hub both times is that the hub or bearings are slightly out of spec making the seal ride in a mildly elliptical rotation.

8 hours ago, RyanB said:

Well, if you read my thread, it was more than just caps.  And if it won't last for 10 years, don't put a sticker on every trailer saying it will.  That is false advertising.

I'm obviously not the only one with a problem, as evident in this thread.

I don't disagree with ya. I was actively commenting in that thread.

I've had to replace both seals on the backside and vault caps. It's frustrating, but part of life.

http://www.waymires.com/support_documents/ufp/ufp_vault_filling_instructions.pdf

44 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Honestly in your other thread - this says it all.

The "preload/endplay was extremely loose.  Castle nuts on all 4 spindles were 1/2 - 3/4 turn loose and could be turned by hand".

That says that the hubs/bearings were not preloaded properly and doesn't have anything to do with the vault system itself.   Jacking up the axle on a trailer and pushing/pulling/spinning the tire to check the bearing/preload condition is just normal annual trailer stuff. - No disassembly required to do it.

Doesn't have anything to do with the Vault system itself?  Not sure how you can say that when Vault claims "NO INSPECTION - NO MAINTENANCE - NO SERVICE REQUIRED"

dpJ5Z42.jpg

9 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Doesn't have anything to do with the Vault system itself?  Not sure how you can say that when Vault claims "NO INSPECTION - NO MAINTENANCE - NO SERVICE REQUIRED"

dpJ5Z42.jpg

The vault is the cap and grease, it is not the hub, the bearings, the seal or anything other than the cap and the grease.  It does not magically change/check/maintain bearing end play.  This is just normal trailer stuff.  The no inspection means that you don't pull the cap off to check the condition of the grease as a normal check like you would on a normal boat trailer cap/grease setup.  It also means that you don't keep pumping grease into it periodically like you do with a bearing buddy.  It does not mean that you don't jack up your trailer and make sure that the bearings spin and don't have end play.  Also doesn't mean that you don't have to look at your tires and keep the pressure set correctly.

People who think the way you do when you read that sticker is why we can't have nice things ;)

Edited by oldjeep

Oldjeep- it is the rear seal on the front passenger axle. Last year was the cap on the rear passenger side. 

I glanced at the schematics of the assembly and realized it’s nothing like my other trailers. It looks like replacing the rear seal is not as simple. I do all my other trailers myself every other year- no issues, it’s very easy to do. 

I brought the boat into the dealer yesterday for 1 warranty issue on my seat so I will have them fix the seal. They actually bring it to a certified Vault RV dealership and sub it out....

I’d like to get the tool for the assembly and do everything myself. Does anyone know what rear seal these axles need?

11 minutes ago, Agman said:

Oldjeep- it is the rear seal on the front passenger axle. Last year was the cap on the rear passenger side. 

I glanced at the schematics of the assembly and realized it’s nothing like my other trailers. It looks like replacing the rear seal is not as simple. I do all my other trailers myself every other year- no issues, it’s very easy to do. 

I brought the boat into the dealer yesterday for 1 warranty issue on my seat so I will have them fix the seal. They actually bring it to a certified Vault RV dealership and sub it out....

I’d like to get the tool for the assembly and do everything myself. Does anyone know what rear seal these axles need?

Which schematic are you looking at?   There is nothing special at all about the way they are setup.  Normal seal, normal bearings.  There is an o ring by where the cap attaches, but otherwise perfectly normal.

The only "Tool" needed is $1 pvc coupler from home depot

Seal and bearing info is all here

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/blogs/boat-trailer-tips-advice/the-vault-hybrid-lubrication-system

Install instructions here

http://www.waymires.com/support_documents/ufp/ufp_vault_filling_instructions.pdf

• 2 months later...

Resurrection of this thread.  Spoke too soon in April.  Another "failure" of the axle seals on a Vault system. Just got back from 800+ mile trip from Portland OR to Lake Shasta CA and back.    Checked both axles prior to trip and when de-winterized boat this spring all was good.  Two axle seals show signs of leaking as there is grease visible on inside of rim on the Left rear and Right Front.     Already called Active Water Sports for an appointment.  Next available 7/08.  

I have tire pressure monitoring which also monitors temperature.  No signs of over heating on the trip.  Will see what they say once they get into it.  Guess it is not if but when these seals fail.  :(

Edited by ORMailbuboater

5+ years with 9500 miles on vaults  launching mostly in brack water , just put it up on my roll on tandem jack and wheels are tight no play and no grease Stain/leaks from rear seals with non on rim 

i usually only drive 40-120 mile round trips  twice a weekend warm season once a weekend in the cooler season , 40-45 weeks of the 50-70 mph

• 2 years later...
ahopkins22LSV

I’m pulling this old thread back up too. Noticed this today when I picked the boat up from storage. Must have been like this last year too but not sure how long. Doesn’t look like enough grease to be a bearing failure to me. Maybe just need to replace the cap? Admittedly, shamefully, I know little to know about these systems. I pay attention to them and check temps on long drives but that is it. 

E12D3EBF-A783-45A8-ABB0-B884D75C9DBA.jpeg

8A468234-2192-4752-AA2B-52B8DA85662D.jpeg

Could need a new cap, or it could have overheated if you had a sticking brake.  Pull the wheel off and start inspecting to see if there is also grease on back side and if rotor looks ok.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

If the center of the cap moves, or rocks back and forth, when you push on it with your thumb, then there is enough grease in it.  If the center of the cap will not move, then it will need to be refilled and the cap can also be replaced if it is leaking.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
19 hours ago, csleaver said:

If the center of the cap moves, or rocks back and forth, when you push on it with your thumb, then there is enough grease in it.  If the center of the cap will not move, then it will need to be refilled and the cap can also be replaced if it is leaking.

They all move. I cleaned them all real good and I will monitor over the next few short trips. It wasn't new grease so Maybe it was just overfilled?