Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moomba vs. Axis A24

Tonka33

Like others of said there are tow ways to look at a this brand new budget boat or slightly used fancy. No wrong side to pick one just suits some people better than others. Go stop by your dealer and compare them for yourself and keep an open mind for other models and brands. I would put a centurion fi23 right next to a Moomba no questions asked. For me I would probably jump on a fancier slightly used/demo.

Little of topic but if you are going to run out of room tell your rider to try a harder trick and then stop. You will probably spend about the same amount of time and you won't face your own chop for forever. 

• 5 months later...

Test drove an A24 and Moomba Max this week. The Max left a lot to be desired. The wave was decent, but not very long. It was different and fun in a way. Overall I just can’t rate it as highly.

I also thought the layout and the build were kind of awkward. It’s a 23 foot boat and felt smaller than my buddies 22 LSV. 

Also, the dealer asked us to move around the boat to help with the wave. Ummm... is this 1997?  

Lastly, he said it was really hard to get a goofy wave on that boat. :shocked:

If you’re a Moomba owner you have to have a sick pleasure of trying endlessly to dial in a wave that the Axis will come dialed in already for. If only Axis had surf settings like the Malibu... but it’s a budget boat.

Am I crazy here? Would the Makai have been better?

• 6 months later...

Has anyone rode behind the new ATX tige 24 they have the traps 3 system but nobody ever talks about the brand much the original tige is pretty expensive but the newer live is a much better price want to buy a new boat next year but I like a hundred k compared to 150k

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2019 at 5:18 PM, IXFE said:

I was with a buddy who is also new to surfing and shopping for his first inboard.  He really liked the Makai and was wrestling with the decision between that an the A24.  In the end he bought a 25 LSV.  Go figure!  

This happened to me! I couldn't stop thinking about your comment when pulling the trigger on the 25 LSV! 

Maybe it was like a mental implant (buy the 25 LSV you fool!) haha

boat 1 edite.jpg

Boat 2 edite.jpg

Boat 3 edited.jpg

Edited by Raleigh
  • Like 2

I started out with the same boats in mind when I did my shopping.  A few things that helped me make the decision (I actually ended up with a 19 23 LSV).

1.  The Moomba flooring isn't as nice as the decking in the A24.  

2.  The Malibu / Axis dealer was much more willing to deal than the Moomba guys were, meaning that the "real" numbers on the boats were much closer than the list prices would indicate.

3.  Malibu / Axis are the pros, I tried all the waves.  Even as an amateur (at the time), you can really tell the difference with Surfgate vs. other systems.

4.  Moomba seems to have more Freeboard.  This means you may get less wet in choppy water.  However, it makes climbing in an out a little harder for the smaller family members.

5.  I have been very happy with my Malibu, but I've never heard a bad word about either boat.  I wish you all the best in your decision and have fun.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AxleGrease99 said:

How does the Grand Cherokee pull that monster? 

It’s great! I only tow local about 20 mins away. Towed with full tank of gas, family of three and gear out of the ramp no problem. Stopping power is good too. I do have a 5.7L V8 HEMI so that helps. 7,200 towing capacity is more than pushing it but not a problem. Honestly it feels better than towing my single axle 3,000 boat! 
I have use of a 1500 with 12,500 towing capacity for longer trips. 

• Like 1
On 4/9/2019 at 6:14 PM, bamaboy said:

Am I the only one that thinks these are both bad choices? I've crawled around both and hashtag not impressed.

What is your budget?  I am assuming around 80k?  Look for a used 23 LSV. 

I bet you can snag a 2015-16 for around the same price with some warranty left.  There are tons on onlyinboards.  Get a Malibu. Just go used.

totally agree

we rented an axis, sure the wave was great but the interior felt and was cheap. i would agree with finding a good used lsv.  lots of deals out there right now

On 3/25/2020 at 12:04 AM, MyLakelife said:

Has anyone rode behind the new ATX tige 24 they have the traps 3 system but nobody ever talks about the brand much the original tige is pretty expensive but the newer live is a much better price want to buy a new boat next year but I like a hundred k compared to 150k

we stepped into one at the Dallas Boat show back in Jan.  3 very distinct memories.   

1) When stepping down onto the back seat bottom (down off the sun deck), my foot immediately hit the base board.  The foam was TERRIBLE.    It seriously felt like something you would buy at Jo-Ann Fabric for arts and crafts.  Honestly, the feel of the foam created a REALLY bad first impression...and it only went downhill from there.

2) The dash was un-ergonomic and plain.  The single screen to the right means you are constantly having to divert your attention from what directly ahead of you, even for basic information (speed/rpm/depth).  To me, thats a safety concern.  Having just a single screen also made me feel like it would be over complicated to get to different control aspects (navigating back and forth thru several menus).  Unimpressed with the cockpit overall.

3) From the moment we stepped foot on the boat, the ONLY thing my wife said to me..."get me off this boat!" 

I tried to get on the demo list late last summer when they were set to release.  I figured that since it was a Tige product, it should be a nice boat.  They never bothered to reply to my inquiry.  And after stepping into the one at the boat show, im ok with that.  It would have just been a waste of out time.