Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 WakeSetter

SandpointDave

As I was wrapping up my boat for the winter, I noticed a small crack in my gel coat near my tracking fins. I also noticed that the tracking fins were off center. Wondering if anyone out there can advise me how to straighten the tracking fins and how much brain damage it is to fix the gel coat. Thanks

Here is a pic.

https://imgur.com/oPI3omE

I can send more if necessary. 

Edited by SandpointDave

Not sure about a 2003 but I just had the fiber glass rebuilt above my tracking fins on my 99 VLX.  Had to remove seat base, gas tank cover (part of the floor), and the gas tank (and of course lost the gas).  If they're tight, I wouldn't worry about it.  I can't see how being a little crooked would affect the drive significantly.

So what you are saying is to just fix the gel coat as best as possible and leave the fins. As they are, the boat drives and operates great. Thanks for your reply. On a side note, do you think a decent repair job on the gel coat would require removing the fins?

Interesting....Can anyone else confirm this. The shop wants $2000 to replace fins and fix gel coat. Wondering if I can leave the fins and just fix the gel coat?