Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 LSV Alt/ low volt alarm

350 engine.

I kinda sorta forgot about this, but last year, (my first year with the boat) I had a few times were I got a "low voltage" alarm. Lasted short enough to not have to do anything but long enough to notice it. 

Occurred maybe 2-3 times total over 60+ hours last year. Clearly the alt was going offline, but not sure why. No squeaking from belt. 
Do these years boats have CAN controlled alt? Or standard voltage regulator? 

Obviously when it works it's near impossible to diagnose. But if it happens mid season and dies for good I'd like some pre-formed ideas as to where to look besides just throwing an alt at it. 

Edited by Ryan1776

My 2010 VLX would do that if I had all 3 reversible pumps I installed were running at once, just had to bump the throttle in neutral to get it to stop.  If I filled/drained them while moving forward with the boat barely in gear it would not do it.

How much stuff are you running at one time when it does it?  Is it at idle or while under way?

4 hours ago, jwl019 said:

My 2010 VLX would do that if I had all 3 reversible pumps I installed were running at once, just had to bump the throttle in neutral to get it to stop.  If I filled/drained them while moving forward with the boat barely in gear it would not do it.

How much stuff are you running at one time when it does it?  Is it at idle or while under way?

Same thing and same solution on my 06.

Are your batteries fresh?  My first set of batteries from the previous owner were on their way out even when I would charge them up, and I would occasionally get that warning.  New batteries seem to clear up all those gremlins.  

14 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Just the engine and radio. And underway. 5-10mph maybe. 

28 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

Are your batteries fresh?  My first set of batteries from the previous owner were on their way out even when I would charge them up, and I would occasionally get that warning.  New batteries seem to clear up all those gremlins.  

Not 100% sure on the age of the batts. They were dealer checked out last year when I bought it. 

But the fact that it all of a sudden comes back up to 13.6v without me doing anything tells me it's in the charging system. 

I have a 2010 LSV with the Monsoon and started noticing the same thing last year.  My batteries were only about 2 years old.  I replaced the batteries this year, fully charged them at home prior to installing.  On the first test trip I filled the tanks and then drained them while idling for a bit and got the same warning.  If I bump the throttle it goes back up to 13V.  I have a bit over 700 hours on my boat.  I just ordered a new alternator and hoping that will solve the issue as I have never had this issue until around the last year or so.  Hoping this solves the problem.  I usually order parts from Bakes but the alternator there was just shy of $300.  I ordered one from DB Electrical for a bit less than $100.  Same part number and description for marine applications. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

I have a 2010 LSV with the Monsoon and started noticing the same thing last year.  My batteries were only about 2 years old.  I replaced the batteries this year, fully charged them at home prior to installing.  On the first test trip I filled the tanks and then drained them while idling for a bit and got the same warning.  If I bump the throttle it goes back up to 13V.  I have a bit over 700 hours on my boat.  I just ordered a new alternator and hoping that will solve the issue as I have never had this issue until around the last year or so.  Hoping this solves the problem.  I usually order parts from Bakes but the alternator there was just shy of $300.  I ordered one from DB Electrical for a bit less than $100.  Same part number and description for marine applications. 

I've used DB Electrical for a number of items and was very happily surprised the quality was top notch stuff.

Steve B.

1 hour ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

Interesting! I'm wondering if that's not my issue either. I have just shy of 600 hours. 

Got a part number?? 

4 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Interesting! I'm wondering if that's not my issue either. I have just shy of 600 hours. 

Got a part number?? 

Here is the part number 8600002.  I did talk with Bakes on the phone and they looked up the alternator I needed based on the hull identification number, they are really great.  Here is a link to the part Bakes said fits my boat with the Monsoon engine:

https://www.bakesonline.com/alternator-delco-remy-marine-95-amp-serpentine.html

Here is a link to what I purchased at DB Electrical:

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/indmar-marine-alternator-8600002-20827-11si-95-amp.html

I just ordered it so it will be a week or two before I install it and also verify it is the same as what I have.  But based on the part number it should be a plug and play.

Kris

24 minutes ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

Here is the part number 8600002.  I did talk with Bakes on the phone and they looked up the alternator I needed based on the hull identification number, they are really great.  Here is a link to the part Bakes said fits my boat with the Monsoon engine:

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/indmar-marine-alternator-8600002-20827-11si-95-amp.html

I just ordered it so it will be a week or two before I install it and also verify it is the same as what I have.  But based on the part number it should be a plug and play.

Kris

Thanks for the links.  You can't even imagine what one of these costs in Canada.

12 hours ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

Kris

11 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Thanks for the links.  You can't even imagine what one of these costs in Canada.

Outstanding sir! Thank you! 

For those Amazon Prime members..... 

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical-ADR0424-Alternator-1-3166-11DR/dp/B0081SE1CG/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Indmar+Marine+Alternator+8600002&qid=1555071939&s=gateway&sr=8-5

few bucks more but 2 day delivery.