Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 23 LSV Gas tank removal

I need to access the back side of the gorilla fins.

Does the gas tank pull out of the fiberglass cover? I've seen in older boats the floor has to be cut to remove the gas tank - but I really don't want to do that.

Remove the screws and pull out the fiberglass floor lid/cover. Then remove the screws from the aluminum “L” brackets holding the tank to the hull and the tank will come out. Tank access was the same for my ‘10 and my ‘19. The ‘19 just uses full lateral cross width bars instead of the “L” brackets in case anyone is interested.

Why do you need to access back side of gorilla fins?  My 07 vtx has no backing nuts.  Fins are only screwed into fiberglass and are breakaway/pull out so they dont RIP large hole if you hit something.  I took mine to fiberglass shop and they filled holes and resecured from bottom.

21 hours ago, wdr said:

Remove the screws and pull out the fiberglass floor lid/cover. Then remove the screws from the aluminum “L” brackets holding the tank to the hull and the tank will come out. Tank access was the same for my ‘10 and my ‘19. The ‘19 just uses full lateral cross width bars instead of the “L” brackets in case anyone is interested.

Okay perfect. Glad to hear it's that easy. Thank-you.

20 hours ago, bscheper said:

Why do you need to access back side of gorilla fins?  My 07 vtx has no backing nuts.  Fins are only screwed into fiberglass and are breakaway/pull out so they dont RIP large hole if you hit something.  I took mine to fiberglass shop and they filled holes and resecured from bottom.

There's a couple loose bolts. Past owner may have overtightened them or something. I want to investigate and fix the threading.