Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody have a full hull cover?

riffraff

A lot of boats in the D/FW metroplex area marinas are covered with a full hull cover.  I'm considering moving to this option and getting a full hull cover that will cover the tower with the bimini open while extending down the hull and over the swim platform.  I think Dallas Canvas does a lot of these for Nautique.  I'm assuming there's a ratchet strap sewn in at the bottom to tighten it down.  I love the idea of no more mud duabers but I have a concern about the extra fabric against the gelcoat.  It's a heavy canvas but it allows you to pull in, drop it over the boat and have EVERYTHING covered.  The boat should be clean when you show up for the next outing.  Does anyone have any experience with one of these vs. the CS cover? 

IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5581.jpg

I've had this cover on my '16, '17, '18 and now my '19. Several around me have this same one and a couple have the full side cover. It's great for working in the boat when it's raining or cold. I have put in an electric heater while working inside the boat with the cover on. PLUS the boat stays clean inside.

IMG_7845.JPG

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

@Slurpee How does your cinch down around the hull?  That looks exactly like the one I was considering.  Is yours Sunbrella fabric?  Is it a pain to get on?

As awesome as sunbrella is. It’s heavier and a little elastic. My cover is Surlast. It’s a little lighter and a little more stable keeping it taught. My bimini is the same material I noticed. 

It cinches taught along the bottom sides. There’s a flap that is Velcro’d that opens up to expose the rope and cinch. Just tug till it’s tight. Usually I only need to pop one side loose for the whole cover to go on and off. 

Yeah. It’s a bit of a pain to get on and off. It’s a lot of material and heavy. Ronnie does it all the time. But my cover has more material with the sides. So I built a hammock for it to hang in above the boat. I just roll it up onto the bimini, hook up the cables, and drop the boat from underneath.  Very easy.

C90A5DB6-538F-4D48-BD28-39B3805DFAA8.jpeg

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 1

Oh. I can also say that with sunbrella or Surlast your going to get dust migrating through the fabric. After a good month or so there’s about the same amount of dust you’d see after a week without a cover. Don’t expect it to be spotless. 

And have dallas fabric put wool down the sides above the rub rail where it lies on the gel. Mine is raw fabric and it does lightly scuff the gel on the spot where the planes of the deck make an angle on the sides. Mostly by the tower. I just polish it up every year. But this year even after ceramic didn’t stop it I’m having the wool added to mine. 

Edited by Slurpee
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a full cover that fits over my 21.5 VLX(fits up to the 22 VLX) that I would be willing to let go cheap or good offer.  It's collecting dust in my basement.  Looks exactly like the same from some of these posts.  Previous owner had it as it was stored outside but I store this boat in my heated garage so I will never use this thing again.  Not a rip or blem in the cover.  Color is grey.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:17 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

I have a full cover that fits over my 21.5 VLX(fits up to the 22 VLX) that I would be willing to let go cheap or good offer.  It's collecting dust in my basement.  Looks exactly like the same from some of these posts.  Previous owner had it as it was stored outside but I store this boat in my heated garage so I will never use this thing again.  Not a rip or blem in the cover.  Color is grey.

I’m interested in your cover. I have a 21’ SUNSCAPE. Message me and I can shoot you my email for pics and other details. Thanks!

Lars

• Like 1