Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

White powder from boat cover

2015 23 LSV:

Boat cover is still in nice condition but it appears the water resistant compound in the fabric has started to fail and is releasing a white powder residue in and on the boat.

Any products you recommend to treat the cover to stop the residue release on the boat?

TIA,

MJ

I think I would wash the cover, let it dry, then treat it with 303 fabric waterproofing.  You might even consider a commercial washing machine to get it clean. 

6 minutes ago, justgary said:

I think I would wash the cover, let it dry, then treat it with 303 fabric waterproofing.  You might even consider a commercial washing machine to get it clean. 

Everything that I have read says, “not to use anything on the cover as it won’t let it breath”. I would wash/hose it off and let it air dry. I would shy away from a machine though. Both of the factory covers I have owned (CS) to include this ‘19 are not sewn together well enough to withstand the rigors of a machine wash IMO. 

By the way, is it possible that the white residue is mildew, and not anything from the cover?  Does the boat get covered when it is still wet?

I experienced the same "powder" on my 2015 23LSV CS cover.  For me, the cover lasted about another 1.5 seasons from when I began to notice the powder.  I do not believe it to be mildew -- the cover is just beginning to disintegrate.  Eventually, my cover began to tear and rip in several places.  Not much you can do other than order a new one now or custom order an Evolution cover.  If you get in on Cory's backlog you should be "covered" until the new one is made.  Good luck.

Thanks for all the great info. It's not mildew. Cover hardly ever gets wet and when it does it dry very quickly. Boat never goes away wet. Im very particular with the boat. I think I'll treat it with 303 and see how that goes. Worst case is order a new cover which sounds like if I do nothing will be required soon enough. 

jammer, Do you know the cost of a Malibu replacement?

Thanks,

MJ