Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drilling Holes.....

mackie12

morning folks,

I am curious in regards to drilling holes in my Response as I need to run three sets of RCA's from under spotters seat to under drivers seat for a new stereo. There is currently a hole  at the far back corner behind (cuby) the spotters seat to which runs thru the ski locker and back up in to the drivers side, but the hole is to small to add more wires. I believe there is room to add new holes on either side but am hesitant to drill holes in my boat naturally....... do I have any legitimate concern here?

ahopkins22LSV

When I installed a sub behind the drivers kick plate in my response I ran the stereo wires up around the bow to the storage area. It obviously will take longer rcas but it was super simple and I was done in about 15 minutes. That would be my suggestions. 

The first hole is the hardest, after that pretty easy:-)   Small thru holes for wiring seems to be a common issue as people add stuff to their boats.  Adjacent holes should not be an issue.

Chipping gel coat is the major obstacle on drilling a hole in your boat.  FYI - I have done several, including mounting a transducer for Perfect Pass in the bottom enlarging the holes for the exhaust tips and a few others, she has not sunk yet!

13 minutes ago, Woodski said:

The first hole is the hardest, after that pretty easy:-)   Small thru holes for wiring seems to be a common issue as people add stuff to their boats.  Adjacent holes should not be an issue.

Chipping gel coat is the major obstacle on drilling a hole in your boat.  FYI - I have done several, including mounting a transducer for Perfect Pass in the bottom enlarging the holes for the exhaust tips and a few others, she has not sunk yet!

@Woodski, really tempting fate here...

• Like 2

@ahopkinsVTX do you recall how long of RCA's you used?

@Woodski correct, it would be thru the carpet/fiberglass, would prefer this way as  I dont need to order any new cables.......

Was planning on using a 3/4 hols saw bit.....any problems with this?

3 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

@Woodski correct, it would be thru the carpet/fiberglass, would prefer this way as  I dont need to order any new cables.......

Hole saws are pretty tricky in carpet.  Might want to try to cut the carpet out first with a utility knife.

29 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Hole saws are pretty tricky in carpet.  Might want to try to cut the carpet out first with a utility knife.

spin it backwards and it'll cut that carpet like a champ.

18 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

spin it backwards and it'll cut that carpet like a champ.

I agree, run a hole saw backwards and you will have much better success through carpet. We do it quite often through floors.

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, mackie12 said:

I don’t. Was a few years ago. Sorry. 

Thanks boys, backwards hole saw bit worked perfectly!

Next question......probably aimed at @Sparky450, remote amp power, where does one hook this up to? dont want on constant but dont want on keyed either......

can I go battery supply - switch - Wetsounds equalizer, remote power pick up from hot side of switch? would have to remember to ensure switch is turned off of course.

Probably best to talk to a stereo install guru.

But my first go around in the 07, I originally  ran a deck so the deck turned off when the key was turned off. The deck turned off and on everything else.

When I did it the second time I eliminated the head unit and I wired the blue remote turn on wire to everything on a spare switch on the dash. Separate power lead from the batteries all the way to that one individual switch. Yeah, dont forget to turn it off. 

In the 2019 the installer installed a head unit and it is on the accessory, I requested the stereo to go on and off with the accesory.

Edited by Sparky450