Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fresh Air Exhaust Install Help

kodyind

I had turn downs on my '13 and installed FAE.  I remember using a small flathead and a light tap to separate the silicone from the hull (with only one mis-swing and gel chip!).  Then some water and alcohol spray into the hose and it slid right out.

I popped my plastic flapper tips off by whittling a board down so it would just fit into the tip for a few inches, then used the board as a lever to pry the tips off.  It took longer to fit the board to the tips than to pop them off.  You want a good fit to the tips so the pressure is distributed evenly and doesn't bend them.

Theoretically, gasoline will soften the sealant, but it takes too long for it to soak into the gap.  They also sell a special product to soften silicone sealant, but I don't think you need it.

By the way, no need to double post.  Next time, bump your old one if you get too impatient waiting for help.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:40 AM, justgary said:

I popped my plastic flapper tips off by whittling a board down so it would just fit into the tip for a few inches, then used the board as a lever to pry the tips off.  It took longer to fit the board to the tips than to pop them off.  You want a good fit to the tips so the pressure is distributed evenly and doesn't bend them.

Theoretically, gasoline will soften the sealant, but it takes too long for it to soak into the gap.  They also sell a special product to soften silicone sealant, but I don't think you need it.

By the way, no need to double post.  Next time, bump your old one if you get too impatient waiting for help.

I have not yet bought it yet, but they did send me the installation guide and I was going though it and i have a question, did your exhaust have a Restrictive Baffle and if so did you remove it

thanks

Jim

1 hour ago, kodyind said:

I have not yet bought it yet, but they did send me the installation guide and I was going though it and i have a question, did your exhaust have a Restrictive Baffle and if so did you remove it

thanks

Jim

I have mufflers (on a direct drive).  I wasn't removing the tips to install FAE, I was switching to stainless turndown tips that I bought from someone who was switching to FAE.

3 hours ago, kodyind said:

thanks

Jim

I removed the muffler and flappers.  Plenty of hours on the boat and it's quieter than with the muffler.  FAE sells a muffler delete kit if you don't want to go with a home grown fix..something to consider.  Certainly makes impeller changes easier on the v-drives.

5 minutes ago, formulaben said:

I removed the muffler and flappers.  Plenty of hours on the boat and it's quieter than with the muffler.  FAE sells a muffler delete kit if you don't want to go with a home grown fix..something to consider.  Certainly makes impeller changes easier on the v-drives.

I am doing it because of the carbon monoxide, i git sick last year