Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Wave Setup

Peebalz

Hey Everyone,

I have struggled with my Axis (sold) and my 2019 Malibu 22mxz (just took delivery) in setting up a great surf wave for all the different situations we have on the boat.  We ride with all different kinds of crowds: 2 people in boat, 12 people in boat, small people surfing, huge people surfing. 

Is there any advice you can give on setting the wave in these different situations? 

What should water flow look like around the surfgates and swim platform if it is set correctly? 

How do i set ballasts different for 12 people in boat vs 2, etc....? 

How should I use wedge as well?

How do i set up boat to provide an easy comfortable wave for beginners?

How do i set up the boat for a longer wave, so i can learn tricks?

I have several huge friends that weigh over 250 lbs and they have struggled learning how to ride.  How do i best set it up for larger riders?

I am sure i can help them more if i knew how to dial it in for them.

Thanks for any advice.

How do i set ballasts different for 12 people in boat vs 2, etc....? 

I max my ballast for surf always... I use wedge positions to accommodate number of people (more people.. wedge angle less.. to no wedge... less people.. more wedge angle).. more people allow you to move them around as weight to fine tune and/or see how ballast could be set up.

How should I use wedge as well?

As stated above

How do i set up boat to provide an easy comfortable wave for beginners?

more wedge angle and/or less bow weight.. slower speed.. create a short powerful wave

How do i set up the boat for a longer wave, so i can learn tricks?

less wedge/more bow weight/faster speed.. experiment with each one at a time to dial in what you like.

I have several huge friends that weigh over 250 lbs and they have struggled learning how to ride.  How do i best set it up for larger riders?

Board makes a huge difference as well... are they on the correct board for their weight? 

20 minutes ago, Peebalz said:

@kerpluxal thanks for the reply.  I purchased the Doomswell El Jefe and i believe this board should be big enough for them.

I picked up the El Jefe board this winter for my big guy friends as well. It should do the job.

As Doomswell is right down the road from me.. I get to ride all their boards and can't go wrong with them. El Jefe should do the trick.. if they catch the bug, Brock will suggest next boards for them as all his boards are offered in different sizes for different weights.

@Peebalz Set their wake as for beginner.. slower speed/more angle on wedge/less bow weight. as stated before.. play with them one at time... first wedge angle.. once maxed (I never go above 4 clicks but I have 1st generation of PW). then speed, slow boat down in minute steps.. lat start draining ballast from front... the idea is to get more weight to back of boat to producer a shorter wave.. a shorter wave will have more push...