Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No factory PNP on 2018 Axis T22.

Mattonspeclake

19 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

I’m just going to purchase the 450lbs bow, 750lbs rears and a Tsuanmi pump. See how I like it before drilling holes and running hoses. 

saying this in the nicest way possible, that sounds awful.  Filling three sacks with a tsunami is going to take half an hour (at least) to fill; Half an hour to drain.  Not acceptable in 2019.

• Like 1

I would very strongly suggest doing 3x this: https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-complete-reversible-ballast-system.html

You will have to drill holes for the rear pumps, but you could use the center bilge T handle for the front pump.  Personally, I'd drill there too, because I like the ability to drain from the T handle.  There's definitely enough room to add a through-hull down there (I've done so for a reversible pump to fill an on-top-of-the-seats supplemental bow bag)

It's a project but not an insurmountable one if you are reasonably handy.  the only "hard" part is making sure that you drill the holes in the bottom of the boat at the right place(s).  That's not difficult and there are tricks and tips (and even a couple of wakemakers videos) for getting it right.

Edited by shawndoggy

Shawndoggy. 

Thanks! I just got off the phone with Malibu. My dealer is providing a good price on parts and Malibu is providing CAD drawings and part #’s So the dealer, or myself can take care of it.

It doesn’t look too complex. I may attempt it.

I Just have to be sure where to drill and how to prevent spider cracks around the new holes. 

20 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Shawndoggy. 

Thanks! I just got off the phone with Malibu. My dealer is providing a good price on parts and Malibu is providing CAD drawings and part #’s So the dealer, or myself can take care of it.

It doesn’t look too complex. I may attempt it.

I Just have to be sure where to drill and how to prevent spider cracks around the new holes. 

Drill in reverse to burn through the gelcoat. The forward to get through the hull. Then chamfer the hole with a dremel/rotary tool.

Wakemakers has some great videos that explain it thoroughly.

2 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Drill in reverse to burn through the gelcoat. The forward to get through the hull. Then chamfer the hole with a dremel/rotary tool.

Wakemakers has some great videos that explain it thoroughly.

This^^^. Plus put some vinyl tape over the area you are going to drill before marking. 

On 4/3/2019 at 3:59 PM, Mattonspeclake said:

I’m just going to purchase the 450lbs bow, 750lbs rears and a Tsuanmi pump. See how I like it before drilling holes and running hoses. 

Whether you do it yourself or have your dealer do it (if they have time) I would highly recommend getting it done before summer.  Filling all of those bags with a tsunami pump will be painfull especially if your summers are as short as mine.

1 hour ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks for the tips. 

Wakemakers is quoting the parts now. Picking up the boat after work. So exciting! 

Discount for Supporting members here on TheMalibuCrew.com.  :whistle:

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 8:44 AM, boardjnky4 said:

You COULD theoretically just piggy back the bow off of the center. Would be cheap, and it would work. I don't think there are many cases where you wouldn't want both the center and bow full at the same time.

@boardjnky4 have you done this?  I actually just realized I have PnP in the rear but not the bow (which seems odd, and I’m actually going to reconfirm what I’m seeing with the dealer tomorrow), and I got the complete wakemakers ballast set for Christmas for my T22. Was thinking the same thing as you mentioned, why not just piggyback it of the center tank?  If you’ve done it I’d love to hear more about that. 

23 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Just plumb in a reversible for your bow bag.  it'll work better than piggy back too.

But if I wanted to piggyback it off the center tank, would it work?  I’ve gotta think so right?  Theoretically should work the same as the rears. 

12 hours ago, IndyFerg said:

But if I wanted to piggyback it off the center tank, would it work?  I’ve gotta think so right?  Theoretically should work the same as the rears. 

time your center tank fill time before you install so you can fill just center tank for wakeboarding before it fills the bag with overflow , over the years it gets a little slower and you’ll have to add a little more time   

Edited by granddaddy55
14 hours ago, IndyFerg said:

@boardjnky4 have you done this?  I actually just realized I have PnP in the rear but not the bow (which seems odd, and I’m actually going to reconfirm what I’m seeing with the dealer tomorrow), and I got the complete wakemakers ballast set for Christmas for my T22. Was thinking the same thing as you mentioned, why not just piggyback it of the center tank?  If you’ve done it I’d love to hear more about that. 

no way you have rear factory pnp plumbing and not front

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

what is front PNP?  I didn’t think any model had that.  

Front ballast is a plug n play bag in axis models. I’m pretty sure it’s a separate option from the rear plug n play plumbing, but I could be wrong. 

I think the bow ballast is still a selectable option in most Malibu models too.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Front ballast is a plug n play bag in axis models. I’m pretty sure it’s a separate option from the rear plug n play plumbing, but I could be wrong. 

Wow, I don’t know how I didn’t know that on the Axis line.  

Selectable bow ballast make sense - it was the PNP option that I was off on.  

6 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Yeah I didn’t know it was separate either until I started poking around up front and saw none of the excess tubing that should have been there. Hit the fill switch for the bow and didn’t hear any pumps running. Bummer. 

I’m not feeling a whole reversible pump install and all that jazz so will probably just go the center tank piggyback route and see how it goes. If it sucks I can always add the separate pump setup later. 

PNP is sort of a misnomer on the bow ballast. Axis comes pre-plumbed for a bow sack with its own fill and drain pumps. So it’s not like the rear locker pnp setup where it relies on underfloor tank overflow and uses the under tank drain pumps to drain the bags. 

I totally would not bother trying to get the center tank overflow to fill a bow triangle. It’s going to be insanely slow, and I don’t think you will ever get it to drain correctly. Two aerators (factory PNP) or a single reversible are the only viable alternatives. 

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

its one option, at least i think it was in my ‘14, it was about $375 bucks for the whole plumbing set up( there was no front bag included, nor obviously rear bags) , my buy sheet had it as one option, but i never saw my build sheet so i could be wrong

Edited by granddaddy55