Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No factory PNP on 2018 Axis T22.

Mattonspeclake

Just found out the boat I’m purchasing doesn’t have factory PNP, only hard tanks and PW2. Does anyone know if this is difficult to add later. The dash controls and wiring is already factory installed.

6 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Just found out the boat I’m purchasing doesn’t have factory PNP, only hard tanks and PW2. Does anyone know if this is difficult to add later. The dash controls and wiring is already factory installed.

Not hard at all.. WakeMakers has a lot of resources on how to and different ways.. Here is one https://www.wakemakers.com/resources/malibu-super-piggy-back-factory-upgrade-kit-ballast/

Not sure what you mean by dash controls and wiring as a PNP/PiggyBack system is plumbed into existing hard tank

Thanks. 

I will post under Axis Topics in the future. Thanks for the link and recommendations. 

Just want to be sure Im not making a $3000 mistake, not having pnp.  

2 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Seems odd someone would order a boat with pw2 and not PnP. Just because the bags aren’t there doesn’t mean it’s not already plumbed. Just something to think about. 

When I ordered by 2016 that very question I came up as to the added cost after the fact.   

Answer I got was that adding later was about double the factory option charge to add PNP.  In my case that was $525 MSRP from factory install. ~$1200 installed after later by the dealer.   I ordered from factory.  

ahopkins22LSV

Just to clarify, it doesn’t have the plumbing for plug and play bags from the factory? Or it doesn’t have the actual plug n play bags from the factory?

If it actually doesn’t have the plumbing I’d definitely try to work with your dealer to make this apart of the purchase. If I remember correctly you posted a bit earlier about how they were going to add the bags for you so it sounds like they were under the impression it had the plumbing too. Maybe they will help you out a bit b

The boat is a brand new loaded 2018 T22 , other than pnp. Dealer claims many customers prefer using lead, to maximize storage. I love the boat colors, options, price, etc.

Called Malibu, I would need to drill three holes in the boat for the front ballast and piggy/back the rear ballasts. Malibu did say that it is possible doing this myself could void the warranty. 

The dealer is checking on options now. Fingers crossed.

ahopkins22LSV
52 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

cough bs cough

Totally agree. That would be an insane, and dangerous amount of lead. Plus it’s weight that’s is there all the time. Putting lots of extra strain on your trailer, tow rig, hoist, etc. 

Agreed. I think he forgot or ordered it wrong. Either way its a new 2018 thats in my budget.  Wakemakers can sell me all the bags, pumps, fittings and hoses for $1400, probably another $1000 in labor. 

9 hours ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Agreed. I think he forgot or ordered it wrong. Either way its a new 2018 thats in my budget.  Wakemakers can sell me all the bags, pumps, fittings and hoses for $1400, probably another $1000 in labor. 

This would be the faster fill/drain option. The stock PnP system uses the same pumps as the hard tanks and they just over flow into the bags. The problem with going wakemakers is you'll have to add new switches to the dash or somewhere handy, plus alot more wiring. Id absolutely have the dealer install the factory option.

Thanks. 

I’m picking it up Friday. Dealers getting back to me with options today. Looks like you can run another pump in parallel on the same switch, plus dash already has the switches for the front ballast . So fuse size and wire size would be the only concern, drilling the hull is the one thing I won’t touch. 

You COULD theoretically just piggy back the bow off of the center. Would be cheap, and it would work. I don't think there are many cases where you wouldn't want both the center and bow full at the same time. But, adding the pumps to have seperate pumps for the bow is also not bad. Drilling the thru-hulls is a lot easier than you'd think.

The rear is just a piggy back setup, super easy to add the hoses for it.

Matton, one option is taking out the hard tanks in the rears and you could put up to1,100lb bags in the rear if you wanted (i have 1,100 in mine).  That's what I did with my A22 because I got sick of the PNP in the rears taking so long to drain.  You gain a lot of storage room when you do this and the bags will go flat when you drain unlike the PNP.  Also, makes more room when winterizing.  If you're interested I have a few pics and had another buddy do that with his 06 VLX.    Took me maybe an hour to get the tanks out and then you just plug the bags in where it went into the tank.

Check out this thread in the axis forum.  They have tons of pictures.  Shouldn't be any different with the newer boats.  Gives you an option nonetheless.  I wish I would have done it right when I got my boat. . . now I think everything is 1" lines so it doesn't take as long to drain, but still takes a while for the gravity ordeal.

http://axiswakeboardboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3082&start=0&hilit=johnnydefacto

I tried the no ballast tank thing and didn't like it. Ended up putting them back in. Did this on both a 2013 A20 and a 2011 A22.

In the end, I actually felt like removing the tanks made my wake smaller. I attributed that to the weight of the actual tank and floor itself. The bag doesn't make up for that difference. Wake was better with the tanks put back in. That is with 1100s, which I still used with the tanks.

YMMV

Edited by boardjnky4
2 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

I tried the no ballast tank thing and didn't like it. Ended up putting them back in. Did this on both a 2013 A20 and a 2011 A22.

In the end, I actually felt like removing the tanks made my wake smaller. I attributed that to the weight of the actual tank and floor itself. The bag doesn't make up for that difference. Wake was better with the tanks put back in. That is with 1100s, which I still used with the tanks.

YMMV

I have to agree with this.... Also, if you want the simplicity of piggy back and want to drain quicker.. all you have to do is add a ballast pump to the bag and wire it to the tank drains ballast pump. Or you could have the tanks on one switch and bags on a separate switch...

Removing your hard tanks means less weight.. not sure why you want this.. MORE is ALWAYS better lol 

I would think the simplest method for an after the purchase install would be to take the vent/overflow line off of the thru hull outlet, attach it to a fill port on the bottom of the bag. Then run a new hose from the top of the bag to the thru hull outlet for the vent. 

I know it takes a bit longer to fill/drain completely, but this is what has been done for years prior to factory PnP being an option.

Thanks MFknk. 

Probably should of purchased one with pnp, surf pipe and a few other options..........this one was a good deal and my wife and daughter liked the colors. 

I’m going to snap a few photos of the 2018 pnp system when I pick up my boat. Then at least I’ll know what is suppose to look like. 

36 minutes ago, Mattonspeclake said:

Thanks MFknk. 

Probably should of purchased one with pnp, surf pipe and a few other options..........this one was a good deal and my wife and daughter liked the colors. 

I’m going to snap a few photos of the 2018 pnp system when I pick up my boat. Then at least I’ll know what is suppose to look like. 

Did you ask your dealer for a quote to add it?