Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Fluid Change?

1 hour ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

I use a 12V electric pump and use the same technique described here except I bought a funnel with a hose, shutoff valve and measurement markings at Autozone.  I pump into that and note how much I pumped out.  I then refill using the exact amount I pumped out.  The funnel with hose/tube makes it really easy to refill and be certain I am getting the right amount back in.  Your manual should have the type of oil and quantity needed.  I was not able to find one of the oils on-line and just ordered that from Bakes.  Very easy and quick job. 

It's only the right amount if it was filled correct at the factory. My 18 LSV was overfilled . Why does no one want to do the correct procedure to check V Drive and Trans levels. Once you get it right, make a Cold level mark on your stick and you won't need to do the CORRECT warm it up procedure. We all know everything is not perfect as delivered.

• Like 2

I routinely check the fluid level using the technique described in the manual so I know the unit has the right amount of fluid.  Otherwise, you are correct, you could just be prolonging a potential problem.

• 1 month later...

I loaned my boat to my son last summer and one of the tranny lines going to the cooler started leaking quite a bit.  He noticed some weird shifting and then noticed the oil in the bilge.  So he limped back to the dock.  I have replaced the two hoses but I have no idea how much fluid leaked out or how much is left in the tranny.  I could try to pump out the rest but again I have no idea how much to put back in. I guess I could  find out from you how much you normally extract on average,  extract whatever I can from the case,  then subtract the amount I get out from the average.  That would be the simplest I think.    Any other ideas?

98 Sunsetter VLX

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a 2005 Direct Drive Wakesetter XTI with not many hours (270).  I bought used 4 years ago, well maintained.  I want to do transmission change myself.  It calls for Dexron-III, Mercon, any particular brand better than others?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, dizzygti said:

And everyone does this annually?

It’s easy enough to, but I do it every other year or so.

• Like 2

I haven’t bought a new boat myself but my used boats, I do full fluid changes first year to ensure I’m up on maintenance and then I evaluate at the fall.  I do have a fluids testing department at my work so I can get that done as needed easily for the cost of a lunch, but unless you start with a benchmark that’s difficult.  Truth be told, most of our fluids in our boats are used in automotive applications which over the same hours of use are subject to similar wear.  If we were told to change our cars transmission fluid annually, we’d be screaming.  

Edited by Nick55
19 minutes ago, Nick55 said:

If we were told to change our cars, we’d be screaming.  

On my old F-150 I dropped the transmission pan at 100,000 miles, changed the filter, and welded a plug into the pan.  I didn't try to remove any extra oil beyond what the pan held, so roughly half the oil came out.  I figured that periodically dropping a quart or two every few years after that and replacing it with new oil was a whole lot better than just letting the old oil cook in there.  Apparently automatics don't really like a full change anyway, so I figured it was a good compromise.

No problems with it, but I sold it a few years later.  The new one doesn't have enough miles to worry about yet.

2 hours ago, dizzygti said:

I don't.  I follow the manual on mine.  It was done as part of the 10-hour (maybe it was the 20-hour) service, but since then I've followed the recommendations in the manual.  For my use it's approximately every other season.

1 minute ago, Slayer said:

I don't.  I follow the manual on mine.  It was done as part of the 10-hour (maybe it was the 20-hour) service, but since then I've followed the recommendations in the manual.  For my use it's approximately every other season.

But hours per season is not the same for every user.   Really frustrating that the service intervals seem to be suggestions based on loose assumptions of usage.    My manual states change at 10 hour inspection but then every year.    I'm doing an oil change and some other things tomorrow, so I'm going to go ahead and do it since it's the start of the season and I put 240 hours on it in the first season.    

1 hour ago, dizzygti said:

But hours per season is not the same for every user.   Really frustrating that the service intervals seem to be suggestions based on loose assumptions of usage.    My manual states change at 10 hour inspection but then every year.    I'm doing an oil change and some other things tomorrow, so I'm going to go ahead and do it since it's the start of the season and I put 240 hours on it in the first season.    

I understand.  I don't recall what mine said.  I did it before last season.  Most likely again before this season.  

i do mine like every 3 years - it's more than sufficient unless you are putting on 100's of hours a year - then I would do it like every 150 hours.   Yeah when Larry wrote the manual i think there was a lot of CYA in there.  I do my transmission oil, spark plugs and fuel filter every 3 or 4 years.  I do the oil every fall and impeller every 2-3 years.

15 hours ago, dizzygti said:

I do it every other year.  Which is around 200 hours.

14 hours ago, Nick55 said:

If we were told to change our cars transmission fluid annually, we’d be screaming.  

I change the transmission fluid annually in my Expedition.  Runs way too hot towing through the mountains, even if it is only once per year, for me to be comfortable otherwise…..

On 2/23/2024 at 8:21 AM, dizzygti said:

I change out one quart every three years now. Looks like new each time. Concluded over 21 seasons that annual spill and fills was drastic overkill.