Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Fluid Change?

I've searched, but can't find it.  I've done plenty of oil changes, but the transmission and impellers I have left to the dealer.  Until this year.

I found a thread on the impeller, but can't find one of the transmission fluid.  Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Like how to do it?  The method I've always used is:

1. Remove tranny dipstick.

2. Insert extraction pump tube

3. Suck till it's dry.

4. Stab it around in there a little more to suck out all of the nooks and crannies.

5. Measure how much you removed.  Usually I get a tad less than 2Q.

6. Refill same amount of new fluid (a long funnel is helpful here).

It's usually Dex III or Dex IV on boats IIRC.  I'm pretty sure the fluid is printed on the tranny somewhere.  

If you've changed the oil, this job will seem extra easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

3. Suck till it's dry.

4. Stab it around in there a little more to suck out all of the nooks and crannies.

It's usually Dex III or Dex IV on boats IIRC.  I'm pretty sure the fluid is printed on the tranny somewhere.  

My process, exactly.  I have historically used the plunger style extractor that @oldjeep noted with volume measurements.  

So there isn't a set amount of fluid that I should put back in?  Like the way I know if I get all the oil out, the boat will take 10 quarts to fill?

Looking through Amazon I don't readily see one with volume measurements.

Edited by RyanB
1 minute ago, RyanB said:

So there isn't a set amount of fluid that I should put back in?  Like the way I know if I get all the oil out, the boat will take 10 quarts to fill?

you can never get all of it out, and you shouldn't be burning tranny fluid.  You can certainly mark the dipstick before and after to make sure you are in range.

• Like 3

These are the EMPTY measurements for 2019 (had this open b/c I'm picking up stuff for my 10-15hr break in service).  As shawndoggy states .... you NEVER get that much out.  You will get a quart and a half and maybe 3/4 quart of the v-drive.

image.png.745bc4819382b425bcd1cb393de41697.png

• Like 2

@RyanB I can't remember which vdrive your boat has, but it isn't one that requires that sort of gear oil, I don't think.  Again, just pull the rear seat and take a look.  Pretty sure the fluids are marked.

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Looking through Amazon I don't readily see one with volume measurements.

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-Extractor-Syringe-Suction-Transfer/dp/B07CNQMZYJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=MVA6852&qid=1554240966&s=gateway&sr=8-4

A turkey baster always worked fine for me... Just replace the fluid that you remove, and DO NOT return the turkey baster to the kitchen drawer.

4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

3. Suck till it's dry.

This is exactly how I do it as well.  But, I pour all the tranny fluid from my extractor pump into an empty 2L plastic bottle (rinsed-out soda bottle works well).  When it settles, I mark the bottle with a Sharpie pen.  Then I discard the old tranny fluid into another bottle [later to be disposed of at auto parts store] and fill up to the Sharpie line with new tranny fluid.  

I then pour that fluid into the dipstick channel using a long funnel. Job done.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

1 hour ago, DWhynot said:

A turkey baster always worked fine for me... Just replace the fluid that you remove, and DO NOT return the turkey baster to the kitchen drawer.

I'm surprised that 200cc or a turkey baster would be big enough.  But you guys have more experience than I do.

34 minutes ago, srab said:

This is exactly how I do it as well.  But, I pour all the tranny fluid from my extractor pump into an empty 2L plastic bottle (rinsed-out soda bottle works well).  When it settles, I mark the bottle with a Sharpie pen.  Then I discard the old tranny fluid into another bottle [later to be disposed of at auto parts store] and fill up to the Sharpie line with new tranny fluid.  

I think this is the route I will go.  I ordered another extractor today.  I have some time at home next week.  If the weather is good, I will give it a go.

Thanks for the advice.

51 minutes ago, srab said:

Yep. To measure I use an old kool-aid pitcher that I keep with my oil change stuff. 

You still need to do the proper level check in water with it at operating temp to be sure it is right. Mine was overfilled as new. if I did replace what I removed, it will always be over filled.

Edited by dalt1
29 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

You still need to do the proper level check in water with it at operating temp to be sure it is right. Mine was overfilled as new. if I did replace what I removed, it will always over filled.

Just make sure you check it correctly.  The screw in dipsticks are checked not screwed in. 

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Just make sure you check it correctly.  The screw in dipsticks are checked not screwed in. 

I’m a manual reader. I go through every page when I get something new. You also need to have it to operating temp and shift through forward and reverse. Then turn off and check within the next 30 seconds. It will read high after extended shut down and all fluids have run back down. I will make a cold mark on my stick after I establish the correct level at operating temps. 

3 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I’m a manual reader. I go through every page when I get something new. You also need to have it to operating temp and shift through forward and reverse. Then turn off and check within the next 30 seconds. It will read high after extended shut down and all fluids have run back down. I will make a cold mark on my stick after I establish the correct level at operating temps. 

I just check it cold like most normal people. 

19 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I just check it cold like most normal people. 

If I check mine (410 Raptor) cold and remove all the excess above the full line, (like most normal people) it will be running at lower capacity than designed for. Read your manuals as different models are checked differently. 

I just picked up my 2019 yesterday and the techs who just got back from Malibu engine training said that the V-Drive does not require changing until 1,200 hours (so never for most).  No break in change either.  Only the transmission needs to be changed.

Note - I'm still confirming this information but that's what I was told.  Also, the new engine/trans/vdrive are all powder coated dark grey .. they look more finished but the cowling could use some upgrades ;)

Just had a look in the 2019 Manual on the Malibu web site.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/malibu-production-us-east-1/docs/owner-manuals/2019 Malibu Owners Manual.pdf

Page 188 says change the v-drive and transmission ATF if discoloured or every two years regardless.

The chart three pages from the back says 1200hours or 3 years which ever sooner.

So I guess different people at Malibu did the different pages LOL!

19 minutes ago, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

Just had a look in the 2019 Manual on the Malibu web site.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/malibu-production-us-east-1/docs/owner-manuals/2019 Malibu Owners Manual.pdf

Page 188 says change the v-drive and transmission ATF if discoloured or every two years regardless.

The chart three pages from the back says 1200hours or 3 years which ever sooner.

So I guess different people at Malibu did the different pages LOL!

And the dash says something different I'm sure.  They said they were working it out still.  Challenges of a first run model.  All I know if that I hope to be a 10hrs on Sunday so someone needs to get everyone in a room today  :P

I use a 12V electric pump and use the same technique described here except I bought a funnel with a hose, shutoff valve and measurement markings at Autozone.  I pump into that and note how much I pumped out.  I then refill using the exact amount I pumped out.  The funnel with hose/tube makes it really easy to refill and be certain I am getting the right amount back in.  Your manual should have the type of oil and quantity needed.  I was not able to find one of the oils on-line and just ordered that from Bakes.  Very easy and quick job.