Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil changers; why do you pump it?

Pretty much says it all. 
In my Supra I would take that line from the pan, just like on my 2010 LSV drop it through the hull plug open the cap and let it drain. Took a while, but hell, I had a million other things to do while that was draining. 
So why do you guys pump it? Just for the speed of it? 

Also, I see guys buying the 200 pumps/buckets...
This guy is 30 bucks plus a home depot bucket with lid is under 10..... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZIFZVK?pf_rd_p=1cac67ce-697a-47be-b2f5-9ae91aab54f2&pf_rd_r=XE62B587JJ87MPAS96TH

No judging, just wondering! 

Thank you!

Ryan 

I use a mityvac hand pump. After i warm the motor up it take about 3 minutes to pull all the oil out. To me its easier than having to fish the line through the transom. Also, you need to remove the cap from the hose before you put it through. Not sure if you spill any oil in that process but it would drive me nuts. Its not that Im in a hurry, i just like to get it done quickly. 

3 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Also, you need to remove the cap from the hose before you put it through. Not sure if you spill any oil in that process but it would drive me nuts. 

Seriously? It won't fit though? I haven't done mine yet, that's why I'm asking. But that seems silly. And yes. That would piss me off too. Guess you could vice grip the hose. :dontknow:

Ive always used a pump. I saw a guy try to fit his through and it wouldnt with the cap on. His was a newer Bu though. Even taking the oil cap off it took forever for it to drain. The rubber hose ID is just so small. 

45 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Pretty much says it all. 
In my Supra I would take that line from the pan, just like on my 2010 LSV drop it through the hull plug open the cap and let it drain. Took a while, but hell, I had a million other things to do while that was draining. 
So why do you guys pump it? Just for the speed of it? 

Also, I see guys buying the 200 pumps/buckets...
This guy is 30 bucks plus a home depot bucket with lid is under 10..... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZIFZVK?pf_rd_p=1cac67ce-697a-47be-b2f5-9ae91aab54f2&pf_rd_r=XE62B587JJ87MPAS96TH

No judging, just wondering! 

Thank you!

Ryan 

My boat stays on the lake on a lift all summer.  My lake probably has one of the worst boat launches in Michigan so it is a PITA to take my boat out.  I pump my oil for this reason.  It is quick, easy and clean and I don't have to take my boat out.  I use a Moeller fluid extractor.  I rigged it to screw into the oil drain hose.

Just for speed.  I used to just pull the hose through and let it drain, but I needed the extractor for a couple other boats I work on so I use it on mine too.  Mine is also rigged to screw onto the drain hose

on my 2016 T22 the oil drain hose will most certainly NOT fit through the transom plug, even with the cap off of the hose.  My boat doesn't have a larger bilge T handle plug near the transmission.  If it did I'd be down to drain through there.  As it is, pumping is nice because it's super quick.  Plus without a pump how are you draining your transmission?  Gotta have a pump one way or another.

As for the electric pumps, those chinese transfer pumps have always intrigued me a little too.  But the hand pump extractor is super easy and I don't need to hook it to the battery or anything.  I replaced my aging pela pump with this one last year and it's super fast and easy to use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD64H8Z/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by shawndoggy

electric utility pump attached to a bucket. super fast and clean! I got mine from Harbor Freight but the amazon one is fine too. You can also get the threaded->barbed fitting from home depot.

Edited by boardjnky4
52 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just for speed.  I used to just pull the hose through and let it drain, but I needed the extractor for a couple other boats I work on so I use it on mine too.  Mine is also rigged to screw onto the drain hose

Do you remember what size the fitting is?

54 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

So you just thread the pump to the drain hose instead of feeding down the dipstick tube? I like that. You know you're getting the bottom of the barrel so to speak. 

Agree with @hunter77ah on fitting size... 

31 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Plus without a pump how are you draining your transmission? 

Haven't had to do that yet. Only had the boat one season. What's the timing on Trans fluid change....4.2 qt (4L) Pennzoil Dexron II, III or MERCON seems like it'll run on anything!

OFF TOPIC; What grease do you guys use for the steering cable? How many zerks, location?

Time saving and ease.  My boat is in the water most of the summer, so getting the oil change done is clean, easy and quick.  The bucket/pump is what I'm using.  While expensive, it has saved me time on numerous occasions, and does the work on my tranny fluid changes as well.  I feel it's paid itself off in the first couple uses.  

1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

1/4" NPT

1 hour ago, Ryan1776 said:

So you just thread the pump to the drain hose instead of feeding down the dipstick tube? I like that. You know you're getting the bottom of the barrel so to speak. 

Agree with @hunter77ah on fitting size... 

Haven't had to do that yet. Only had the boat one season. What's the timing on Trans fluid change....4.2 qt (4L) Pennzoil Dexron II, III or MERCON seems like it'll run on anything!

OFF TOPIC; What grease do you guys use for the steering cable? How many zerks, location?

Yes, I would never use the dipstick tube for anything that I have another option on

29 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I will have to take a look at mine.  I used a couple pieces to improve mine.  I started just attaching one of these to my Moeller hose. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-1-4-in-FIP-Lead-Free-Brass-Hose-Barb-Adapter-800209/300096277  
It was kind of pain trying to unscrew that from the drain hose so I added a quick connect to attach that I got from lowes.  Works awesome.

45 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

1/4" NPT

Yes, I would never use the dipstick tube for anything that I have another option on

1/4" sounds more like it. I never liked the idea of the dipstick tube either. Always made me wonder if all of it was sucked out. 

36 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I will have to take a look at mine.  I used a couple pieces to improve mine.  I started just attaching one of these to my Moeller hose. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-1-4-in-FIP-Lead-Free-Brass-Hose-Barb-Adapter-800209/300096277  
It was kind of pain trying to unscrew that from the drain hose so I added a quick connect to attach that I got from lowes.  Works awesome.

Dig it. 

I use air compressor quick disconnects on mine and mounted a fitting on the hook to make it even faster. Then I made an attachment for a metal stick to hook on for doing the trans and Vdrive. 

Here is what I used on mine.

I added a little bit of air hose to mine.  The air hose fit right over the pump hose.  On the end of the air hose I attached https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-1-4-in-FIP-Lead-Free-Brass-Hose-Barb-Adapter-800209/300096277

Then I attached this to the barb adapter.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/SurfaceMaxx-Pro-Quick-Disconnect-Socket-Plug-Set-Fpt-and-Mpt/1191319

33 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

I use air compressor quick disconnects on mine and mounted a fitting on the hook to make it even faster. Then I made an attachment for a metal stick to hook on for doing the trans and Vdrive. 

Did the air compressor disconnect restrict the flow?

Edited by hunter77ah
2 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

How often do you change that? 

IIRC the interval is every 100 hours. I just do it at the end of every season, which lately has been about 80 hrs. 

15 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

IIRC the interval is every 100 hours. I just do it at the end of every season, which lately has been about 80 hrs. 

Wow no kidding.... Thanks man.