Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Powering 8 in-boat speakers

SDTony

I'm looking for recommendations for an amp to power my 8 in-boat speakers. I just bought 8 Wet Sounds SW-65ic-B SW to replace the 6 original Rockford Fostgate speakers. I'm adding a pair to the bow, which weren't there originally. They are 60W RMS (120W peak) 4ohms. Should I shoot for 50W per speaker? 

In terms of overall system, should I plan for 3 amps (in-boat, tower, sub)? 

Trying to keep the budget in mind, but still refresh/update the whole system. Thank for your input. 

(pic because pics are more fun)

DJI_0026.JPG

Look into the Exile Javeline. It’s a 5 channel amp that will power all eight of your cabin speakers (75w x 8 at 2ohm each) and your sub (800w x 1 at 2 ohm). You’re effectively getting two amps in one. 

I’ve run this amp before in my boat and I’m currently running one in my Jeep! 

https://exileaudio.com/store/amplifiers/amplifiers-1/javelin.html

(And yes, pics are more better)

B39A0893-28D8-4F39-8A11-463D98DA5B71.jpeg

Edited by IXFE

Thanks IXFE, I was looking at a Rockford Fosgate 5.1 600W amp thinking it might be a 2fer, as well. In the end, I think it's undersized for my application. The Javeline might fit the bill. 

My only reservation is the number of watts dedicated to the sub......my current sub is an older 12" ARC-12, which I can't find much info about online. But I think it's 350W RMS. 

I just got this delivered today.  This is a really good deal for the new style of this amp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N8KKR6X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, SDTony said:

My only reservation is the number of watts dedicated to the sub...my current sub is an older 12" ARC-12, which I can't find much info about online.

Id be more concerned with a safe impedance match first. A volt/ohm meter will tell you how its wired now, but pulling it out will tell more. You can always NOT turn the gain up, but you can never make the amp make more wattage nor can you fix it going into protect mode because the impedance is too low. Id investigate the woofer further, before making a final amp selection. 

For an in-boat amp, id go with a 6 chnl at the minimum, so you can put the dash mounted speakers on their own chnls in order to gain down their positional advantage.  A 4 chnl would work, but you would be forced to pair the bow and dash speakers, so dialing down the bow at the same time addressing the dash speakers. 

8 hours ago, SDTony said:

Thanks IXFE, I was looking at a Rockford Fosgate 5.1 600W amp thinking it might be a 2fer, as well. In the end, I think it's undersized for my application. The Javeline might fit the bill. 

My only reservation is the number of watts dedicated to the sub......my current sub is an older 12" ARC-12, which I can't find much info about online. But I think it's 350W RMS. 

Totally depends on your sub. If it presents a 4 ohm load the Javi only makes 500 watts, and you can always gain it down. The wattage doesn’t need to be a perfect match. Better to have too much than too little, imho. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:09 PM, SDTony said:

DJI_0026.JPG

Okay this pic seems like a slice of Heaven!  Powell right?  I can't believe when I transitioned from Hawaii to Arizona, all those years in AZ (8), I never did a Powell trip.  Wasn't that far either.  :( kicking myself

On 4/2/2019 at 7:34 AM, IXFE said:

Look into the Exile Javeline. It’s a 5 channel amp that will power all eight of your cabin speakers (75w x 8 at 2ohm each) and your sub (800w x 1 at 2 ohm). You’re effectively getting two amps in one. 

I’ve run this amp before in my boat and I’m currently running one in my Jeep! 

https://exileaudio.com/store/amplifiers/amplifiers-1/javelin.html

(And yes, pics are more better)

@SDTony Also look at the Alpine PDX-V9.  It has essentially identical output specs, Class D, and you can usually pick one up for around $400.

3 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Okay this pic seems like a slice of Heaven!  Powell right?  I can't believe when I transitioned from Hawaii to Arizona, all those years in AZ (8), I never did a Powell trip.  Wasn't that far either.  :( kicking myself

Definitely Powell............the place is just unreal! Pic is from last summer, my 4th time there. Spent the whole week back in that inlet with only 1-2 other houseboats. 

Overall, not the flattest water I've ever gotten on a trip, but was still super fun. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, minnmarker said:

@SDTony Also look at the Alpine PDX-V9.  It has essentially identical output specs, Class D, and you can usually pick one up for around $400.

Thanks, I'll take a look. 

19 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

FYI, I just bought a Javelin off Wakemaker's website for $300. Refurbished, full warranty.

I ran the Javelin in my 12 VLX for 4 years. Rock solid. 100 hrs per year never a hiccup!

I ran the Javelin in my 2016 25LSV to my in boat and sub and it was rock solid. Sounded fantastic. I also ran another exile to my tower. Can’t remember if it was the 2 channel or 4 channel to 4 Surf9’s. This setup was great. Not the knock the wetsounds gear in my 2019 25LSV but my 2016 sounded better. The wetsounds in 2019 is leaps better than the stock Fosgate in 2016. But the Exile gear with a custom tune is in my opinion better than the new factory wetsounds. I do like the wetsounds and I will most likely not be changing from the factory setup. It sounds really nice but not awesome. 

D4389427-028F-490A-9574-C374AF100D1A.jpeg

To be fair here, you're comparing two different type systems. One is factory limited by DSP for a 5 year warranty and the other is a tunable aftermarket system. 

• Like 2

What Ronnie said. 

Throw out the dsp amps, buy an adapter cable. 3-4 amps, and tune. That ring will come alive . I am ending up with the same tower and inboard as factory. Besides amps my subs are the only difference. This is probably what I should have done my stereo would be finished. 🤬🤬

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

To be fair here, you're comparing two different type systems. One is factory limited by DSP for a 5 year warranty and the other is a tunable aftermarket system. 

Absolutely Ronnie. I do believe I gave Malibu props for the new Wetsounds gear. It is so much better than the previous Fosgate stuff. Most custom tune systems are going to be better than just about any factory system. There are definite limitations placed on the system that they need to warranty for 5 years. The new Wetsounds gear does sound very nice and I don’t see myself upgrading. Perhaps winter blues and the need to spend some time in the boat would be the only reason to make any kind of change. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, speakers/amps/ohms is definitely not my wheelhouse. 

I ended up with a refurbished Javelin ($300, full warranty, couldn't pass it up) and a XM15.4 from Wakemakers. Thanks @boardjnky4 for the head's up! 

• Like 2