Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu returns to Kansas City!

hethj7

Great news for those of us around KC - Stateamind has partnered up with Sportsman’s Marine to service and sale Malibu and Axis in KC!  

Even though the crew at Stateamind has always done all they could to make the 4 hour distance between KC and St. Louis not seem that bad, having a true local presence now makes me smile big time.  It has been many years since KC last had a Bu dealer, even thought they are probably the most common brand I see in the lakes I frequent.  

I cant wait for 2020 models to role out and know I can drive down the road to check them out in person like some of you other lucky ones on here :)

That should be nice and I’d think plenty of people over on that side of the state to support a Malibu dealership too. I can’t say anything about Sportsman’s marine as I don’t know anything about them, but if they run it anyway like Stateamind does, it should be a big win for you guys over there. 

Only time will tell, but I am certainly excited.  I am already trying to find out what stock will be here so a buddy of mine can potentially do a test drive soon 😎 So cool to even know it is an option

• 1 month later...

It is right around the corner from my parents house.  We went in Memorial weekend to see if they had a surf rope since we were in town.  When I asked, they didn't know what I was talking about.  Needless to say they didn't have one. 

8 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

It is right around the corner from my parents house.  We went in Memorial weekend to see if they had a surf rope since we were in town.  When I asked, they didn't know what I was talking about.  Needless to say they didn't have one. 

Yea, still a work in progress.  Gary is the inboard sales guy there if you ever go in again.  I am not sure of the ultimate vision but they aren’t carrying a bunch of accessories, as you obviously found out.  But, service staff should be trained and they had several boats in the service bays when I was there.  I will likely drop mine off for its first service this week as well.  

• 3 months later...

I was delighted to hear Sportsman's Marine is helping service Malibu's in KC -- unfortunately, it couldn't be further from the truth.  I feel sorry for anyone that gets sucked into buying a new Malibu in Kansas City because Springfield, Lake Ozarks, or St. Louis (each 3.5-4-hours away or 7-8 round trip) are the only true options for service since B&B Marine Smithville (where I got my Malibu) closed their doors.  I called Sportsman's Marine for help with an Oil Pressure Switch so I wouldn't have to drive all the way to Ski Shack in Springfield (who, btw gives Superior Service and it is worth the trip).  The man on the phone at Sportsman's who is in charge of service was incredibly rude and told me I needed to call Stateamind in St. Louis.  No thanks.  This partnership between Stateamind and Sportsman's is nothing more than a conduit for Stateamind to extend their sales operation to Kansas City.  Shame on Stateamind leaving people who purchase a new boat "High & Dry" having to hoof it to St. Louis anytime service beyond winterization and fluid changes are required.  Until Malibu has a "true" authorized dealership in Kansas City, I would recommend buying another brand that can offer true service.

38 minutes ago, LadyArcane said:

I was delighted to hear Sportsman's Marine is helping service Malibu's in KC -- unfortunately, it couldn't be further from the truth.  I feel sorry for anyone that gets sucked into buying a new Malibu in Kansas City because Springfield, Lake Ozarks, or St. Louis (each 3.5-4-hours away or 7-8 round trip) are the only true options for service since B&B Marine Smithville (where I got my Malibu) closed their doors.  I called Sportsman's Marine for help with an Oil Pressure Switch so I wouldn't have to drive all the way to Ski Shack in Springfield (who, btw gives Superior Service and it is worth the trip).  The man on the phone at Sportsman's who is in charge of service was incredibly rude and told me I needed to call Stateamind in St. Louis.  No thanks.  This partnership between Stateamind and Sportsman's is nothing more than a conduit for Stateamind to extend their sales operation to Kansas City.  Shame on Stateamind leaving people who purchase a new boat "High & Dry" having to hoof it to St. Louis anytime service beyond winterization and fluid changes are required.  Until Malibu has a "true" authorized dealership in Kansas City, I would recommend buying another brand that can offer true service.

My experience has been the opposite.  While I agree Sportsmans isn’t a full service spot for inboards yet, I have coordinated easily several items through them and Stateamind that saved me a trip to St. Louis.  They performed the fuel pump recall work and kept me on the water as and saved me a trip to St. Louis.   

And if you have an older inboard and want some help on something like an Oil Pressure switch, feel free to PM me.  I am in KC and enjoy troubleshooting and wrenching on things when I can find the time.  

13 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Bummer. We got two from Barry and his mom at b&b. Sad to see them close.

They have been closed for probably about 6-7 years now.   Barry was with MarineMax pushing Malibu for a few years after that, but that dissolved as well.  MarineMax reps Nautique here and I don’t know where Barry ended up.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LadyArcane said:

I am sorry to hear of this. Sportsmans has been taking care of KC customers for us without issue. I speak to Joe and Dave there on an almost daily basis and whenever they have a question the call me. They even have my cell phone number. I would love for the opportunity to help you out. Please feel free to reach out to me at Stateamind in St. Louis at 314-731-3795. Ask for Calvin (me) and I would be happy to see what we can do for you.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, LadyArcane said:

Another option close to kc is kc watersports by Hillsdale lake. I’ve had good experiences there.