Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview touch screen replacement....help please.

I had to replace both screens on my 2013 LSV once under warranty, and they were acting up again before I traded the boat in.  Each one was about $2600 including installation.  I had a similar path - they would flicker, become unresponsive, delam, moisture was getting inside.  

Bluetooth was always horrendous - half the time it wouldn't work at all, the rest of the time it was manually connect every time.

I have a brand new replacement Medallion touch screen that I will sell for $1750.  I bought a 2014 23 LSV in 2017 and the existing screen was delaminating a bit even though it was fully functional, so as part of my deal I insisted the dealer give me a brand new replacement screen at the time of purchase in case mine went out.  I subsequently lost my boat in the floods here in 2017 and replaced my boat with a new 23 LSV, so I don’t need this screen anymore.  Never installed, still has the protective sheet on the screen, date code on the back is 7/17/17. Part # is 6913-00503-01.  Still in the box from Malibu even.  

Don’t know about any software updates as I never needed to use this one.

Apologies in advance if I need a certain level of membership to post something like this.

Edited by Leftlane

My 2011 has an issue with the touch screen becoming unresponsive and it seems to be related to the outside temperature.  I replaced it once already when the first one had the same problem in addition to the delaminating issue.  When the temp is in the 80's, it works fine.  Once we get in the mid 90's, I get total freeze of the screen and it is very hot to the touch.  It seems like these screens are not designed for hot climates like we have here in Texas which is kind of surprising.  You would think Malibu should replace any of them that fail with something better (or at least give the option for some alternative).  Otherwise, when it comes time to sell my boat, I will probably have to send it up North where it would work well for someone.  I'm interested if others have seen the outside temperature being a factor in theirs freezing up.

The screen on my 2013 is getting worse every time out.  I have only owned the boat since March, but it definitely is trending in the wrong direction.  I don't know if it is heat or if the screen is just getting worse and is about to be 100% done.  I am finding that it works best immediately after a power cycle of the boat.  I usually have time to enter the code and star the engine, but not much else.  I had a towel over it all day yesterday to try to keep the sun off of it, but it didn't seem to help. (in fairness, my phone is mounted close by and was overheating as well.).  It was 97° here yesterday (SE Texas), but it will be warmer as the summer goes on.

Until I can get the screen replaced, I can mostly work around the problem by using pre-sets for ballast control and the key for starting.  Does anyone have a way to stow the wedge or deploy Surfgate other than the maliview screen?  

I just lowered the price on the brand new screen I am selling as I no longer have the boat it was intended for - it is listed in the classifieds.  The delamination will continue and you will end up with a completely unusable screen before too long.  The new version is an improved design and should have been a no-questions-asked replacement for anyone who had issues with the old screen, but alas it is not.  So, unfortunately, owners out of warranty are left to replace a defective design on their own nickel.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:43 AM, QmanBu said:

Mine came right from Malibu (ordered through Bakes Online) and it has a manufacture date of 3/4/19 and is Rev D.

QmanBu

The new screen, is this a Medallian screen? I heard late last year Malibu swapped suppliers assuming to get a more reliable product.

I am on my second screen with the second one starting to bubble, still working now, just reluctant to drop another $2k on a screen from the same manufacturer with potentially the same issue. But we have noother choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced mine today - painful on the wallet, but it sure is nice to have full functionality back.  Most difficult part of the job was getting the plastic screen bezel off without breaking it - other than that it was pretty easy.  The new screen that I got has a May 16 build date, so hopefully it is the latest and greatest and will last.  

I now seem to have a set-up menu that I don't remember from before, although it may very well have been there!  It seems that I can turn on navigation, but I don't have any software / charts.  Does anyone have any insight on adding a GPS puck and uploading charts?  I use the navionics app currently, but having it built in would be nice.

IMG_20190621_1526453.jpg

IMG_20190621_1821024.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 1:38 PM, Leftlane said:

I just lowered the price on the brand new screen I am selling as I no longer have the boat it was intended for - it is listed in the classifieds.  The delamination will continue and you will end up with a completely unusable screen before too long.  The new version is an improved design and should have been a no-questions-asked replacement for anyone who had issues with the old screen, but alas it is not.  So, unfortunately, owners out of warranty are left to replace a defective design on their own nickel.

Do you still have this screen? I am having problems with my Malibu 2013 MXZ.... What is your lowest price and where abouts do you live?

You can text me as well (preferred)- 281-210-6413

My name is David .

Thanks

• 3 months later...

My Late 2013 vtxisn’t starting I think it’s because the screen is running a blank section on the right hand side where you push the engine start button 

does this mean new screen everything works except it won’t bloody start than all of a sudden 2 minutes / 15 minutes later it fires up the engine 

we get too scared to turn it off  any ideas are welcome 

5 hours ago, Craighymus said:

My Late 2013 vtxisn’t starting I think it’s because the screen is running a blank section on the right hand side where you push the engine start button 

does this mean new screen everything works except it won’t bloody start than all of a sudden 2 minutes / 15 minutes later it fires up the engine 

we get too scared to turn it off  any ideas are welcome 

You should have the back up key start. Use it till you can replace the screen.

I took every connection off repushed them back on even took the throttle lever off and disassembled it twicechecked the circuit board and micro switches   even the key wouldn’t start it I tried every thing I could ,changed fuses retightened every wire I could access 

put it back today and after only 3 goes it went so I am thinking it’s the micro switch or relay attached to it on the inside of the throttle leaver is being temperamental thus not telling the computer that the boat is in neutral and hence not starting and probably why neither touch screen or key will start engine 

$1600 Australian to buy a newer model throttle lever it’s an expensive stab in the dark when you are stuck on Xmas day without a boat 

when I find 100% fix I will post it for others if they have had same intermittent problem it was tedious to get this far 4 to 5 hour under the hood the dash and jammed between front seat 

happing boating 👍

8 hours ago, Craighymus said:

I took every connection off repushed them back on even took the throttle lever off and disassembled it twicechecked the circuit board and micro switches   even the key wouldn’t start it I tried every thing I could ,changed fuses retightened every wire I could access 

put it back today and after only 3 goes it went so I am thinking it’s the micro switch or relay attached to it on the inside of the throttle leaver is being temperamental thus not telling the computer that the boat is in neutral and hence not starting and probably why neither touch screen or key will start engine 

$1600 Australian to buy a newer model throttle lever it’s an expensive stab in the dark when you are stuck on Xmas day without a boat 

when I find 100% fix I will post it for others if they have had same intermittent problem it was tedious to get this far 4 to 5 hour under the hood the dash and jammed between front seat 

happing boating 👍

I'm not sure about your model, but you may want to check the transmission for a neutral switch as well.  Might as well check your safety lanyard while you are at it.

And Merry Christmas!

On 12/25/2019 at 8:00 AM, justgary said:

I'm not sure about your model, but you may want to check the transmission for a neutral switch as well.  Might as well check your safety lanyard while you are at it.

And Merry Christmas!

There is only a neutral switch in the throttle.  Transmission is electronically actuated by the 2 solonoids that are controlled by the throttle control. 

• 3 months later...

Hello,

We bought a 2013 Malibu 24MXZ in August and put it in the water a few weeks ago.  The screen started flickering and had lines... eventually went black and then our ride back home we had an alarm going off.  Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting before we take in to a dealer?

Thank you,

Tamara

32 minutes ago, Tamara said:

Hello,

We bought a 2013 Malibu 24MXZ in August and put it in the water a few weeks ago.  The screen started flickering and had lines... eventually went black and then our ride back home we had an alarm going off.  Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting before we take in to a dealer?

Thank you,

Tamara

Try unplugging and plugging the connections on the back of it.  Not much else you can do with those things.  I've never had that issue with the touchscreen, but my upper screen fritzes out every once in a while and the solution on that one is to unplug and replug the rca connector on it

2 minutes ago, Tamara said:

Thank you. Will give it a try. Would that cause the alarm to go off as well?

Don't know.  Not familiar with the dash layout of your boat, but on my boat you can see the trouble codes on the upper screen.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 VLX with the same screen delam issue. Has anyone found a less expensive solution?  Are the newer units better quality?

Dealing with this again......2012 replaced under warranty once.

It was fine when I pulled out of the driveway Saturday, got to the ramp to find a bubble from one side, alone the top and down the other side.  

It still functions but I imagine that won't last long.

take a look at the attached thread, start at page 9. You can replace your MTC with a switch bank for probably less than $200. This rids you of the MTC issue once and for all. 

I just ordered a new touch screen and was trying to use the key to start the boat while I wait for the screen to come in. Now my screen above my steering wheel is not working properly and the key won’t start the boat. Any ideas?  Mine is 2013. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 8:26 PM, Leftlane said:

I have a brand new replacement Medallion touch screen that I will sell for $1750.  I bought a 2014 23 LSV in 2017 and the existing screen was delaminating a bit even though it was fully functional, so as part of my deal I insisted the dealer give me a brand new replacement screen at the time of purchase in case mine went out.  I subsequently lost my boat in the floods here in 2017 and replaced my boat with a new 23 LSV, so I don’t need this screen anymore.  Never installed, still has the protective sheet on the screen, date code on the back is 7/17/17. Part # is 6913-00503-01.  Still in the box from Malibu even.  

Don’t know about any software updates as I never needed to use this one.

Apologies in advance if I need a certain level of membership to post something like this.