Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Great Lakes vs Commercial Sewing cover

hethj7

ahopkins22LSV

I have only seen pictures of the Great Lakes cover and heard not the best reviews. I am super happy with our CS cover. It’s all my dealer orders and I would think there is a reason for that. On our vtx the fit is perfect and I don’t even need to use poles! Just the hang tyte. It’s super nice to be able to tighten it from the ground too with the new system they have. I haven’t towed with it on, but I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t, if I needed too.

51FF98DB-270B-48CA-91CD-4E36C72272C4.thumb.jpeg.3851c962af03c614b8ba03d9d57bcc65.jpeg

80AE66B1-FECA-466A-8343-34DC3C336A52.thumb.jpeg.3fffe3c6ff847f28e440c9bf70259816.jpeg

So far of what I have seen of the CS on my ‘19, it appears to be significantly thicker than the CS I had on my ‘10 and it comes with a swim step cover. The attachment points seem like they will offer more adjustability than my old one for a better fit. The down side is it is no better sewn together than my old one. Single needle tailoring on the cover base for the bottom cinch strap will see the fabric eventually fray and pull through the single seam like it did on my old one. Anywhere that I had Velcro closures on my old cover I had to from time to time, comb through the Velcro to pull out the fraying canvas threads to make sure it stayed secured when using it. There is no dedicated bag for the 19 cover. I had to ask the dealer about that. Fortunately I have a collection of nylon laundry bags from my former military life that worked like a charm. The 3 poles like my old ones have exposed aluminum ends which will scuff up any fiberglass the ends come in contact with. So rubber end caps are again in order. For how I used my old one, it did admirably do the job of keeping it dry and clean for 9 years and was still more or less usable when I got rid of it. From all that I have read, given the option I would of gone with the Evo cover if offered. Especially for what they want for the CS cover. I would imagine that the GL would be comparable in most respects given it is an option. BICBW 

I have an evo cover on my 257. Big boat, tows fine at 70+mph. No poles, does have a tie up strap that can be used for long term outdoor storage. There are 2 types of fabric, dont remember the specifics, but Cory helped me figure which one I needed. 

No doubt Evo is awesome,  but I am specifically looking at the differences between GL and CS seeing how Evo isn’t a factory option and his lead time on delivery requires more pre-planning  than many have the luxury of.  

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

I have an evo cover on my 257. Big boat, tows fine at 70+mph. No poles, does have a tie up strap that can be used for long term outdoor storage. There are 2 types of fabric, dont remember the specifics, but Cory helped me figure which one I needed. 

Another vote for Evo cover. The GL cover on my 2017 was trash. I haven’t had a CS cover in ten years.

My new Evo cover is in production as we speak. Cory offers two materials: Sunbrella and Top Notch 9. I’ve always used Sunbrella, but I Cory convinced me to try TN9 this year. He says it’s the same weight material, just as soft, only it holds up better, is more breathable, and has a longer warranty. 

6 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

No doubt Evo is awesome,  but I am specifically looking at the differences between GL and CS seeing how Evo isn’t a factory option and his lead time on delivery requires more pre-planning  than many have the luxury of.  

If I had to choose between GL and CS, I would choose CS just based on my experience with the GL. It was super loose and flappy in the wind. Honestly, worst boat cover I ever owned. 

2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

If I had to choose between GL and CS, I would choose CS just based on my experience with the GL. It was super loose and flappy in the wind. Honestly, worst boat cover I ever owned. 

This is what I am thinking as well.  Hate to say it, but my new boat was ordered with a GL and I was hoping I just somehow got a lemon, but it is sort of a POS.  Super baggy, and showed up with tears in it already upon delivery.  Stateamind will make it right, but I don’t see how I will ever trust this cover to tow with.  Not to mention the goofy hangtyte system they have requires you to loop a separate rope over the tower first vs the integrated buckle and clasp CS used. 

Comparison below of the GL on the 25 vs my CS on the 23.  

CE75611C-F4F2-4D56-8D61-C61971B878A8.jpeg

6C9845FF-FA72-4EC1-AEDD-D7D780458F74.jpeg

39 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

This is what I am thinking as well.  Hate to say it, but my new boat was ordered with a GL and I was hoping I just somehow got a lemon, but it is sort of a POS.  Super baggy, and showed up with tears in it already upon delivery.  Stateamind will make it right, but I don’t see how I will ever trust this cover to tow with.  Not to mention the goofy hangtyte system they have requires you to loop a separate rope over the tower first vs the integrated buckle and clasp CS used. 

Comparison below of the GL on the 25 vs my CS on the 23.  

CE75611C-F4F2-4D56-8D61-C61971B878A8.jpeg

6C9845FF-FA72-4EC1-AEDD-D7D780458F74.jpeg

WOW! I'd be upset about that cover as well.

I had a GL cover for my 2018 23 LSV and it was tight, very similar to the pic of your old 23. 

I also ordered a GL cover for my 2019 25 LSV, however I haven't seen it yet. 

EDIT:  @hethj7 is your cover made to protect your tower in the down position? Wondering if that's why it's baggy?

Here's a pic I took at my dealer. Assume this is a GL cover as well. 

IMG_4752.jpg

Edited by G Spot
  • Like 2

@G Spot I don’t believe so.  It has the cutouts for the tower legs and an over the top buckle system for the base of the Gx.   Maybe I do have a lemon.   

Any other 2019 owners with a 25 and GL cover?

My 25LSV was also probably one of the earliest builds - maybe they have made some corrections on later builds since it was all new at the time for both the boat and the tower.   

The GL cover makes me think of MC Hammer’s pants 🤣

I was already planning to talk to the dealer about a CS replacement potentially, but if my GL just is a lemon, I wouldn’t be against giving them another try.   If the GL replacement looks similar well, then, no one should be checking that box unless you just need a dust cover for an indoor storage place.  

• Like 2

Not unnecessarily trying to hijack your thread with Evo pics since I get what you’re asking. But if your dealer would refund the stock cover you bought, you could see if an Evo could be worked out since Cory’s making them for 25 LSV’s now.

And maybe this will be helpful for someone else earlier along in their ordering process.

Here’s how mine fits this year, and it was the same last year, just black.

008225BC-1DFF-47BD-A66A-9E95AE7F8D67.thumb.jpeg.32a05a9bacaa8557f5a69dbdafc7e1aa.jpeg

B7B42F1C-63A4-470B-A2CC-A4F20ED6535F.thumb.jpeg.d063f3df512048c30626acf8c1e455e4.jpeg

• Like 3
On 3/31/2019 at 4:23 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I have only seen pictures of the Great Lakes cover and heard not the best reviews. I am super happy with our CS cover. It’s all my dealer orders and I would think there is a reason for that. On our vtx the fit is perfect and I don’t even need to use poles! Just the hang tyte. It’s super nice to be able to tighten it from the ground too with the new system they have. I haven’t towed with it on, but I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t, if I needed too.

51FF98DB-270B-48CA-91CD-4E36C72272C4.thumb.jpeg.3851c962af03c614b8ba03d9d57bcc65.jpeg

80AE66B1-FECA-466A-8343-34DC3C336A52.thumb.jpeg.3fffe3c6ff847f28e440c9bf70259816.jpeg

+1 for the CS cover have been very happy with the fit and quality.  Also does great when towing at freeway speeds for a long distance.

From what my dealer told me, the GS cover was made with sunbrella material, and the CS material was junk (this is just want my dealer said, and I have no proof to back it up, haha) Due to this I got the GS on my 2017 21vlx and my 2018 23lsv.  My 21vlx cover was so tight, it took half a season to loosen up enough for me to be able to Cover by myself.  My 23lsv cover is tight as well, but easier to do my myself.  I really like the GS cover, but I ordered an Evo (should be ready at the ended of May, after a 7month wait) because I tow about 5k a season and my GS cover scuffs my gel on long trips if I don’t wrap it with Saran Wrap before a trip.  I would not hesitate to get a GS again, but I will say I really like the way CS does their hang tight. 

If my GS cover looked like @hethj7, I’d be seriously pissed!! 

Edited by SCMike

I like my CS, but there are definitely some quality issues. I got my boat late August 2017.  I couldn’t use my Bimini because Malibu had a wrong latch to Lock the Bimini in place.  Last summer was the first time I used it and noticed this after a couple outings using the Bimini.

045D3B29-9C0B-40AD-9D7D-E022C8D1B6EC.thumb.jpeg.72aec0a36c7ed393978531510650a49a.jpeg

The first time I zipped up the ratchet cover on the back of the boat cover...

8329E5DE-FD2D-41D3-A5A6-FC314A3BCB3C.thumb.jpeg.c913ddabe2d593c0516e3ee5664118f4.jpegBoth zippers did this.  So there are some quality concerns.  Anybody who has a CS cover I would make sure you lube those zippers up.  Good thing is warranty is covering this.

On 3/31/2019 at 12:28 PM, NWBU said:

Not unnecessarily trying to hijack your thread with Evo pics since I get what you’re asking. But if your dealer would refund the stock cover you bought, you could see if an Evo could be worked out since Cory’s making them for 25 LSV’s now.

Cory is out 7 months or so right now.  I called him in December, he put me on a list with hope it will be done in June.  So I ordered a CS cover.  It is pretty good, but it is not as good as the stock nautique or MC covers that I have had for towing.  It feels very heavy duty, like I would feel really good about leaving it outside all winter like that in a blizzard and hurricane.  But it feels so heavy, I am reluctant to leave it on while towing for fear it will shudder and scuff the gel coat.  My dealer specifically recommended I not make the 2 hour drive home on the freeway with the cover on, although others have done this without a problem.  

Come June, I will use one for the garage, and one for traveling.  Or just sell the CS if someone nearby needs it.  

Edited by TallRedRider

The GL cover feels way more heavy duty than the CS O had.  I just wish it fit better.  I am in the process of getting it all corrected so we will see where things land.  Seeing the newer hangtyte system on the CS - they definitely have the edge there.  The GL design (having to loop a separate rope around the tower first) isn’t too well thought out.  And as I thought I would, I have already lost one of the rope loops in the first 3 hours of run time.   

Our old Rankin fit perfectly, but the new factory cover is not great.  I hope it will stretch but we cannot velcro the sides while cinching up the cover.  The velcro comes loose.  I liked the zipper version on the Rankin much better.

5 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Our old Rankin fit perfectly, but the new factory cover is not great.  I hope it will stretch but we cannot velcro the sides while cinching up the cover.  The velcro comes loose.  I liked the zipper version on the Rankin much better.

How is the Velcro coming loose?  The straps that you clip together hold the load.  Makes me wonder if your straps are shifted so that when you tighten they are not centered and pushing against the slot that the strap is supposed to slide in and  pulling one of the halfs apart.

Edited by oldjeep
25 minutes ago, eubanks said:

You are doing the velcro before you tighten up the back right? I've honestly never had an issue with the velcro coming undone. 

13 hours ago, hethj7 said:

The GL cover feels way more heavy duty than the CS O had.  I just wish it fit better.  I am in the process of getting it all corrected so we will see where things land.  Seeing the newer hangtyte system on the CS - they definitely have the edge there.  The GL design (having to loop a separate rope around the tower first) isn’t too well thought out.  And as I thought I would, I have already lost one of the rope loops in the first 3 hours of run time.   

I will confirm that the CS cover for 2019 feels really beefy.  The material is heavy duty.