Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking of buying a malibu

Patrick426

What price is it for? Also a 12 doesn’t have surfgate. Surfing is still possible. Just requires weight and prob  suction surf gate. Will Throw a huge wave weighted correctly   

It would be tough to be that close to having Surfgate and not end up with it.  I personally would look for a SG equipped boat.  Nothing wrong with the earlier boats and they can certainly throw a wave, but the convenience of SG is great, especially when you are in SG budget territory.  

How big big is your usual crew?

I would rather have a non surfgate Malibu than a early model surfgate axis. My opinion though. 14 model is very very plain. No power wedge either. 

• Like 2

be sure and check the lower screen on the Malibu for delamination around the edges. If you see any the price should drop by 2 grand. if it's already been replaced your fine.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

I would rather have a non surfgate Malibu than a early model surfgate axis. My opinion though. 14 model is very very plain. No power wedge either. 

Interesting. Can you elaborate more.  What else are they missing? 

1 hour ago, windy1 said:

be sure and check the lower screen on the Malibu for delamination around the edges. If you see any the price should drop by 2 grand. if it's already been replaced your fine.

yes that screen will be replaced before purchase

On 3/31/2019 at 10:52 AM, Gavin17 said:

A lot. Malibu is by far more luxurious if that makes sense. Everything in there is of better quality. Have a seat in both and you’ll be able to see it right off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 10:52 AM, Gavin17 said:

In ACT testing form:  Axis is to Malibu, like Toyota is to Lexus. (Chevy/Cadillac, Honda/Acura)

Just every single thing that you touch, use or sit on is nicer, more well built, or more solid feeling.  

On 4/1/2019 at 1:50 AM, Patrick426 said:

yes that screen will be replaced before purchase

Have a 2011 RLXI.

Replaced the MTC screen (the lower Left Screen with the engine start button) in 2015 due to delamination & becomming unresponsive, engine start button would not respond to any touch.

And, the 2011 models the first with these screens did not have a remote key start leaving me stranded. The remote key came in 2012.

The 2015 screen has started to delaminate around the top edges the laset few months. Still works for now. 2 screens delaminating over a 8 year period apparrently is acceptable, only to Malibu....

Guessing is you have a 2011 to about 2017 model with the MTC screen to budget for a replacement screen about every 4 years, normal wear & tear regardless of hours or being storred undercover.

Not that there is a design flaw Medallian the manufacturer or Malibu would admit to. Who would have thought a $2k item is designed for such a short life expentancy.

Don't know what we will do when these become obsolete?  Just be aware of the known issue with these screens.

One of the attractions of the lesser speced Axis but Im with you for a preference of the prestigous Malibu finnish.

4 hours ago, Andrew63 said:

Guessing is you have a 2011 to about 2017 model with the MTC screen to budget for a replacement screen 

2011-2014 I believe are the years to be concerned about.  I haven’t heard of this in 2015 and newer boats.  There was a bad batch of screens in 2016 but it wasn’t this delamination issue. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

2011-2014 I believe are the years to be concerned about.  I haven’t heard of this in 2015 and newer boats.  There was a bad batch of screens in 2016 but it wasn’t this delamination issue. 

Correct. Except in the TXi, they still used the same screen as 2011-14 wakesetters through 2016. In 2017 it changed to the same 7” screen as the wakesetters. 

10 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Correct. Except in the TXi, they still used the same screen as 2011-14 wakesetters through 2016. In 2017 it changed to the same 7” screen as the wakesetters. 

Yes we have the same screen in the TXI through till the all new model in 2017 TXI.

Is there a glimmer of hope these screens may have had the issue rectified since my April 2015 screen now delamminating again?

Or would I be correct in assuming these screens have not been altered/improved rather replaced with an all new look & design from 2017 in the TXI?

KInd of sucks to have toi budget for a replacement screen every 4 years or so, about $500 a year. Maybe I need to budget for a new TXI...

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Andrew63 said:

Yes we have the same screen in the TXI through till the all new model in 2017 TXI.

Is there a glimmer of hope these screens may have had the issue rectified since my April 2015 screen now delamminating again?

Or would I be correct in assuming these screens have not been altered/improved rather replaced with an all new look & design from 2017 in the TXI?

KInd of sucks to have toi budget for a replacement screen every 4 years or so, about $500 a year. Maybe I need to budget for a new TXI...

FYI, as of just recently Malibu has sourced a new company for these screens. I don’t know if the 2017+ screens are the same manufacturer or not. 

23 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

FYI, as of just recently Malibu has sourced a new company for these screens. I don’t know if the 2017+ screens are the same manufacturer or not. 

There is a glimmer of hope when I need another MTC screen it won't be a Medallian dud?

Would love to find out more to make sure I end up with a New screen from the new manufacturer.

Any insiders who would know at what point the MTC replacement screens would ship from the new supplier?

Being down under with a US malibu, I am on my own with no local support other than corrospondance via email due to time differences so any help is greatly appraciated.

ahopkins22LSV
52 minutes ago, Andrew63 said:

There is a glimmer of hope when I need another MTC screen it won't be a Medallian dud?

Would love to find out more to make sure I end up with a New screen from the new manufacturer.

Any insiders who would know at what point the MTC replacement screens would ship from the new supplier?

Being down under with a US malibu, I am on my own with no local support other than corrospondance via email due to time differences so any help is greatly appraciated.

@COOP?

14 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Anything ordered since last December will be the new screens (unless someone online has old stock, but even Bakes has been shipping the new ones). I was told that Medallion used a different parts supplier to avoid screen issues on the newest batches going forward, time will tell. 

On 4/23/2019 at 12:02 AM, COOP said:

Anything ordered since last December will be the new screens (unless someone online has old stock, but even Bakes has been shipping the new ones). I was told that Medallion used a different parts supplier to avoid screen issues on the newest batches going forward, time will tell. 

Sounds encouraging. Pitty there is no discounts for these replacement screens for repeate customers since it is a common problem not than any manufacturer would own up to this.

So the same manufacturer with hopefully more durable parts. Sounds like you have some inside contacts to be in the know?

Found these at Bakes again, not sure if there are any other sources for international shipping, open to suggestions

6913-00503-01 being the Medallion P/N. My current screen manufactured 11/03/14, guessing the new screens will have the same p/n?

I know of 2 other US boats down under on their second screen & the news of uograded replacement screens is welcome