Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 lsv prop options

Just curious if any knows why the standard prop for 19 is the 2249 and for 18 that was considered the high altitude. 

Ive read a lot of posts that recommend the 2277 for 18 but I’m scratching my head as to why the 2249 is now considered standard. 🧐

Can't help you with any explanation of the mechanics of the change, especially since I believe the transmission ratio is unchanged between the years. However, I had a couple demos on a '19 with the 2249 (and PCM 6.0), and saw similar RPMs to what I was used to on my '18 with the 2277. I also used the 2249 on my '18 for some higher elevation lakes, but hated the higher RPMs when I used it once at my normal sea level elevations. 

I'm going to start out with the 2277 on the '19 as well, and see if I'm happy with it since I'm expecting, and hearing from others, that the RPMs will be lower than on the '18 with same prop. If it's not ideal, I can always swap to the 2249, where I know I can surf between 3400-3600 rpms, depending on setup.

I ran a test with both props on my '19. There's ~400 RPM difference in the two props. I had 2249 on my '16 and the RPMs were too high. I switched to the 2277 for my '17 & '18 to get the RPMs down as well as the fuel consumption. My '19 now has the 2277. I'm at 600' elevation.

Prop test for 2019 Malibu 23LSV with 6.0L motor.

660’ Elevation

All readings taken off 7” “Settings” screen. RPM Numbers change fast on screen so recorded numbers as best as could.

Paddlewheel speed setting.

3 people in the boat.

Props tested, 2277 Acme (Speed) vs. 2249 Acme (Torque).

2277 was new factory prop, has slight vibration that is noticeable at idle speeds (Changed out w/dealer).

2249 was rebuilt prop, no vibration.

Average speed was ~3 mph faster through out range with 2277 prop.

Top speed was 2 MPH faster with 2277 vs. 2249 (41 mph vs. 39 mph)

Time to 23 mph, (Wakeboard Adv preset, full ballast, full PnP, wedge 2 clicks from “Ramp”) was;

2277 11.92 Seconds

2249 10.82 Seconds

Time to 10.6 (Surf Left preset) was (these numbers don’t jive, need to retest);

2277 4.41 Seconds

2249 5.42 Seconds

RPM @ Surf Left Preset , full ballast, full PnP, wedge 2 clicks from “Ramp” .

2277 3100 RPM

2249 3400 RPM

Both props preformed well, no noticeable difference on getting up to speed or holding speed with either prop.

Maybe slight advantage on a heavy loaded boat with 2249 although the more people in the boat = less ballast required.

2277 prop would be more fuel efficient. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the detail, Ronnie. 

I just couldnt understand why they would change it to the 2249 as a standards in 19’. As @NWBU mentioned, I don’t know of any transmission changes. Maybe the PCM weighs more than the monsoon. 

Its more of a curiosity than anything. My 18’ w/ 2277 runs great at 800’ elevation. 

13 minutes ago, wdr said:

@Ronnieare you running any additional bow weight over factory? 

If there's only two of us, sometimes three, I'll put a 650 Sumo sac in the walkway. I don't like running extra weight in the bow, I don't feel the boat is "balanced" with the weight that far forward. I like the weight over the stringers.

I have found that when the rear pumps shut off, there's still some room in the bags for more water. IF I add more water after the pumps shut off, I start needing more forward weight. It took me a while to learn that the old school way of "the more ballast the better" isn't applicable to the newer style gated boats. You just don't need as much rear weight as we did when we listed the boats. You can get the gates too far down with too much weight.

Lets use this video of the folding platform as an example. Note the level of the water to the gates. This is with full factory ballast and PnP, wedge 2 clicks. If you start getting too much weight in the rear, you can see that the gates will sink too far and not be doing the job they are intended to do. The water will start going over the gates and you lose the wave form.

I was trying to avoid a bow bag if possible. In that I am boating on a river my ballast reality may be different from other people. I am just going to have to get some hours on it to dial it. Just don’t want to throw money at something I don’t need on this boat.

4 hours ago, wdr said:

I was trying to avoid a bow bag if possible. In that I am boating on a river my ballast reality may be different from other people. I am just going to have to get some hours on it to dial it. Just don’t want to throw money at something I don’t need on this boat.

You don’t need bow weight.  I ran 90% of the time last season on my 18 with zero bow weight (including no people weight) and the wave was good.  I personally liked when a few people sat up in the bow when surfing, so I bought a few lead weight bags, but they certainly are not “Needed”. 

That’s what I run. 

2277 -800’ elevation

560 pNp - full

hard rears - full

mid and bow - full

10.8 mph

second selection from vert 

100 lbs ledwake on bow cushion  

goofy rider 

then i adjust for wind and passengers in the boat  

1 hour ago, Clearprop said:

That’s what I run. 

2277 -800’ elevation

560 pNp - full

hard rears - full

mid and bow - full

10.8 mph

second selection from vert 

100 lbs ledwake on bow cushion  

goofy rider 

then i adjust for wind and passengers in the boat  

What rpm are you seeing?

For a spare prop I thought I would try something different than the 2249. Based on recommendations here I got a 2277. Tried it for the first time today and so far so good even at an elevation of 3000’. With bow and center tanks full and rears at 75% (including 650 sacs), 150 llbs. of lead it the walkway, wedge at 2 from ramp and surfing at 10.8 the rpms were 3300 which was 400 less than the 2249 prop.  Top speed was 39 mph which was an increase of 2.5 mph. We had a crew of only 4 so it will be interesting to see how it performs with more people. 

12 hours ago, Clearprop said:

Thanks for the detail, Ronnie. 

I just couldnt understand why they would change it to the 2249 as a standards in 19’. As @NWBU mentioned, I don’t know of any transmission changes. Maybe the PCM weighs more than the monsoon. 

Its more of a curiosity than anything. My 18’ w/ 2277 runs great at 800’ elevation. 

Which motor(s) is the 2249 standard for on 19s? 

For the M6 on a 23LSV the 2277 is standard. 

I thought there was a hull change on the ‘19s so there wouldn’t be an apples to apples comparison between an 18 and a 19?

2249 is standard on the M5. So far all indications are that I will most likely be switching from the 2773 to the 2277 after I get a few more hours on mine. I didn’t think I would loose as much speed as I have in comparison to my ‘10. I was more than happy to be able to cruise at 25 mph @ 3200 rpm. I am only at 4 hrs now so I won’t have  any solid results on the 2773 until I get some after break in hours on it.

Edited by wdr
Sp
Just now, ahopkinsVTX said:

No hull change to 2018-19. There was a change from 2017-18 though. Main change was going to a two piece hull and added freeboard so still a pretty fare comparison. 

Thanks. I was thinking the wetted surface changed for some reason.

The hull was the same between 18 and 19 but they used different motors.  2018 was the Raptor series and in 2019 they moved to the PCM motors and then after Jan 1 the M5di and M6di were added to the list.  So I am guessing the prop change between the years has something to do with the different torque curves between the Raptor and PCM motors. 

• 1 month later...

2249 is the stock prop with the M5, 2277 for the M6Di as mention above. My guess is this is due to the 5.3L lack of torque in the low rpm, requiring the added rpm's of the 2249 to get into the meat of the power. i'm still scratching my head about the M5. I just think its lack of torque is not well suited for these big boats all loaded up. Would probably make a great ski boat motor though. i'd venture to guess a 6.0 PCM would out perform the M5. 

• 11 months later...

Boat: 2019 22’ LSV

Just installed a 2419 prop. Had a 2249 on there. 

Wife immediately remarked at the performance while driving for surfing. Went immediately into plane without nosing up. 

However, I’m a little disappointed with the prop overall as I’m running the same amount of RPM’s at 11mph: 4,000rpms. 

Wakeboarding takes 4,000rpms to go 23mph. 

Cruising at 26mph takes 4,400rpms. 

Feels like the boat is in 4low, I’m in second gear, and the motor is working way harder than it should. I’m either idling or running at 4,000+ rpms.

Any suggestions?

On 3/30/2019 at 9:18 AM, Ronnie said:

I ran a test with both props on my '19. There's ~400 RPM difference in the two props. I had 2249 on my '16 and the RPMs were too high. I switched to the 2277 for my '17 & '18 to get the RPMs down as well as the fuel consumption. My '19 now has the 2277. I'm at 600' elevation.

Prop test for 2019 Malibu 23LSV with 6.0L motor.

660’ Elevation

All readings taken off 7” “Settings” screen. RPM Numbers change fast on screen so recorded numbers as best as could.

Paddlewheel speed setting.

3 people in the boat.

Props tested, 2277 Acme (Speed) vs. 2249 Acme (Torque).

2277 was new factory prop, has slight vibration that is noticeable at idle speeds (Changed out w/dealer).

2249 was rebuilt prop, no vibration.

Average speed was ~3 mph faster through out range with 2277 prop.

Top speed was 2 MPH faster with 2277 vs. 2249 (41 mph vs. 39 mph)

Time to 23 mph, (Wakeboard Adv preset, full ballast, full PnP, wedge 2 clicks from “Ramp”) was;

2277 11.92 Seconds

2249 10.82 Seconds

Time to 10.6 (Surf Left preset) was (these numbers don’t jive, need to retest);

2277 4.41 Seconds

2249 5.42 Seconds

RPM @ Surf Left Preset , full ballast, full PnP, wedge 2 clicks from “Ramp” .

2277 3100 RPM

2249 3400 RPM

Both props preformed well, no noticeable difference on getting up to speed or holding speed with either prop.

Maybe slight advantage on a heavy loaded boat with 2249 although the more people in the boat = less ballast required.

2277 prop would be more fuel efficient. 

Which engine are you running with which gear reduction?

I’d love to get down to your rpm’s with our 22’LSV. 410 w 1.76 gear reduction 

I love that this keeps coming up. Justifies the time I put in the research. Here’s my data from my 1.76:1 raptor 6.2 in a 22LSV.

punch line is get the 2277. Keep weight in the nose. About 150lbs of lead will do it. 

• 4 months later...

Reviving a thread about M5 props for the 23.  I pitched down to the 2773 (15 x 13) but still cannot plane at full ballast.  Has anybody tried to run a 16 or 17" prop with their 2019 M5?  I've got to think that extra diameter would help.

18 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Reviving a thread about M5 props for the 23.  I pitched down to the 2773 (15 x 13) but still cannot plane at full ballast.  Has anybody tried to run a 16 or 17" prop with their 2019 M5?  I've got to think that extra diameter would help.

I don't think there is any additional clearance on a 2019... 15" is max (maybe a 15.5?)

"Full" meaning all 4 tanks + bags?  If that's the case then it is entirely possible you aren't going to find a prop that allows you to plane out with everything full (without some other major unlivable compromises.)  You have a ton of weight in the back of the boat which is going to make it even more difficult for that motor to get the boat moving.  I know my 5.7/350 (which was a wonderful motor) could not plane the boat out with my surf sacks full (no issues with just the tanks full.) 

5 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I don't think there is any additional clearance on a 2019... 15" is max (maybe a 15.5?)

"Full" meaning all 4 tanks + bags?  If that's the case then it is entirely possible you aren't going to find a prop that allows you to plane out with everything full (without some other major unlivable compromises.)  You have a ton of weight in the back of the boat which is going to make it even more difficult for that motor to get the boat moving.  I know my 5.7/350 (which was a wonderful motor) could not plane the boat out with my surf sacks full (no issues with just the tanks full.) 

Thanks man.  I've been talking to Acme and it sounds like there isn't enough clearance to go much bigger.  This was a last ditch effort to be able to wakeboard with full ballast and the M5 but just looks like it's not going to happen.