Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1988 Malibu Sunsetter drain plugs

TroyNic

Hi,

I have just picked up an 88 sunsetter and am curious where the plugs are. In the rear of the boat on either side of water outlets are what appear to be drain plug holes, I am new to boating but thought there was another plug around the motor. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Assume you are talking about how to drain water out of the engine?   Not the plugs in the bottom of the hull.  

I am not completely familiar with an 88 but my guess is that this is a GM V8?  Many of these are similar in layout   If so there should be a way to drain water out of each side of the block.  Sometimes a knock sensor on the driver side needs to be removed to drain the water.  Draining water from exhaust manifold would be via either a cross over drain line that comes apart or plugs on back of exhaust manifolds.  Draining water from front of engine is typically done by pulling a water house off the output side of the raw water pump.  This will let all the water in top of engine drain off.  Sometimes the hose is split with a union at the low point to assist in draining.  Hope that helps.       

Edited by ORMailbuboater

On my 1987 Skier, there were two drain plugs in the stern (lower part of the transom), and one T-handle drain plug in the belly of the beast (just forward of the engine).  The T-handle is the lowest part of the boat for draining... I rarely removed the stern plugs.

I think I found it, mine appears to have a brass handle..and is just forward of the engine and since reading your reply affirmed the 2 that I thought at the stern were in fact also plugs making a total of 3...much appreciated.