Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 A24 Setup?

abovewater

Thanks in advance. I've traded in my 2012 A22 for something a bit newer and bigger. I'm excited for surfgate, and some other upgrades. My question for everyone is what's the best setup? I understand this is dependent on the type of wave I'm looking for and who's on the boat, so I'll be a little more specific. I usually have a big crew, but there are those days, especially early in the season when there are just a few of us. On those days, I'm wondering if it might help to have some extra ballast(boat currently has 750's in rear lockers)? I would put it in the walkway as nobody uses the bow when there are only 3-4 of us. This is what I'm thinking; https://www.bakesonline.com/fly-high-w719-1100-pound-single-bag-and-tsunami-pump-combo.html

Any other advice you 1st gen a24 owners could share is appreciated.

Do you have a plug and play bow bag? If not I would get that and fill everything up and throw the wedge down.

With that said though I'm not a huge floor bag guy no matter how many people I have.

Putting a 750 or 1100 in the walkway definitely helps an A24. I have quite a few hours in one of those boats, and that's what we always did.

If you want to go big, you can also put some more sacs under the side seating areas. 400s on each side under the seats, then the sac in the walkway. She'll be BOMBING.

What motor is in it?

Edited by boardjnky4

Thanks. I like the idea if bags under the seat. Is 400 max there? Im not a huge fan of bags on floor either, but want the biggest wave possible. Motor is 410 and yes to bow bag. Will the Motor be an issue with that much weight?. My a22 had base and it was a dog when sacked with people.

Edited by abovewater
13 minutes ago, abovewater said:

Thanks. I like the idea if bags under the seat. Is 400 max there? Im not a huge fan of bags on floor either, but want the biggest wave possible. Motor is 410 and yes to bow bag. Will the Motor be an issue with that much weight?. My a22 had base and it was a dog when sacked with people.

Under the sides, toward the back, you can fit decent sized bags. I do think we used the Ronix 400s. It's a deep compartment from what I remember.

His boat had the 410 as well and we could get it on plane to wakeboard. The wake was STRONG.

Edited by boardjnky4
On 3/28/2019 at 1:12 PM, abovewater said:

, didn’t 14 have the mushroom sac like 14 22 and 20? In a a24 with no walk thru( was it ever this way?) the mushroom sac fills to capacity 950

with the mushroom your additional on  cushion bow bag can be big or smaller, maybe just 3-400 lead on cushions? That can reside under cabin  side seats when crew fir bow available 

now your not messing with over side pump (hate hate hate hate that ) snd then eventually you can plumb a t off of bow bag to fill on cushion sac 

Edited by granddaddy55

The A24 was never a mushroom sac. That boat has a walkthrough bow.

A good idea that another friend of mine had was that he built a box in the walkthrough to stash lead in. Then had a matching seat cushion made as a "filler".

Edited by boardjnky4

I don't think I want it plumbed in because then I cannot remove it. Our last boat (12' A22) had the non walk through and adults never really used it. It's one of many reasons we upgraded. Could I plum it in with the bow bag using some additional hoses and then just disconnect it? Also, lead is tough because I don't want to remove it every time I put it on the lift. The boat is 4500lbs dry and my lift is 6000lbs, so I really don't want to have hundreds of pounds of lead all over the place.

Does anyone know how wide the walkthrough is? I'd like to order the 1100lb bag, but it's 24 inches wide and I'm wondering if it will fit. My other option is to get two 1100lbs for the back and move the 750's to the walkthrough and/or under the side seats. Another option is to get one 1100 bag, put that in the surfer side of the back, then move the 750(20 inches wide) into the walkway. I will really only be using all this when I don't have large crews, so getting to the bow isn't super important. 

Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, abovewater said:

I don't think I want it plumbed in because then I cannot remove it. 

Define plumbed in? You can add a reversible pump from your center drain without drilling new holes.  If you decide you don't like it, unscrew it and you are back to what you had. 

I "plumbed" mine in last year.  I won't go back to tossing pumps lol!

What I mean is I don't want to have a big bag sitting in the middle of the boat all the time. If I could hook the bag up to the other "stock" front ballast and then simply disconnect it, that would be ideal.

You can put those quick connects anywhere in the ballast line.  I have a 2012 A20, so similar set up to what you had in the 12 A22.  I have the mushroom bag and then a triangle on bow plumbed in.  But there is a quick connect in one of the bow cup holders.  If I don't want the bag out I just disconnect the line and throw the bag in a locker.  Only thing you see from stock when the bag is put away is a stub of a quick connect in a cup holder.  You can hide this stuff pretty well.  

Throwing a pump over gets old and teeing off the bow pnp would lead to slow fill/drain with a need to manage venting the extra bag.  Reversible pumps are fast and powerful.  I fill the 1k bow bag faster than other smaller bags and when it drains it gets sucked pancake flat.  

That is a much better idea than what I was thinking. I could get one of the arrow looking ones for front also, that would make things even more simple. I'll know in just over two weeks when I take delivery. That is if the ice is off the lake.

• 4 years later...

I have a 2014 A24 with front and rear plug and play.  I actually took some 850’s from my previous boat and put them in the back lockers.  I was thinking about adding some weight to the big lockers under the “side seats”.  Here is the question I have: 

Can you piggyback the “side seat” bags off of the rear bags so they fill/drain off of the L/R rear switches?