Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wireless Phone Chargers

Peebalz

Has anyone seen a list of which phones are compatible with the wireless charging? I got one station on the new Malibu, but my IPhone 7 doesn’t charge when I put it on there. The Useers Manual doesn’t mention them at all.

Yup its 8 or later. I have a 7 and it won’t charge, my 8 charges fine.

But I will warn you. If you use your phone a lot and need to recharge multiple tomes per day. These wireless chargers kill batteries...

Edited by MFknK
21 minutes ago, cptotr said:

I thought you had to have iPhone 8 or later to have wireless charging

Yes. Apple did not implement the Qi standard until iPhone8. 

As for wireless killing batteries. Ymmv. But it’s not the wireless charging. It’s the heat. Wireless charging requires a known gap. Increase the gap and chargers can increase the field strength to varying degrees to compensate. That’s half the reason a standard such as Qi was needed for commercial devices. So cases, FOD of a metallic nature, and other fancy industrial designed plastics all interfere. The side effect is more loss of energy in the transfer. More heat. Heat most definitely kills batteries. 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:39 PM, dlb said:

Our car has wireless charging, works best out of the case.....

Or use a case that is good with wireless charging.  Well, maybe with an Apple you need to remove the case.  We always charge using a wireless charger and never remove the case.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:20 PM, Slurpee said:

As for wireless killing batteries. Ymmv. But it’s not the wireless charging. It’s the heat. Wireless charging requires a known gap. Increase the gap and chargers can increase the field strength to varying degrees to compensate. That’s half the reason a standard such as Qi was needed for commercial devices. So cases, FOD of a metallic nature, and other fancy industrial designed plastics all interfere. The side effect is more loss of energy in the transfer. More heat. Heat most definitely kills batteries. 

I never had an issue with wireless charging killing batteries.  Heat, though, was a big problem when wireless charging with my old Galaxy S7 Edge, especially on the boat.  With my LG G7 ThinQ, same charger, same heat, same time, zero issues.  My work phone (S9...which I like over my LG), seems to charge cooler too.

Maybe the Qi standard will help things remain constant for a few years, but I opted to not get the wireless chargers on my boat.  The way that everything has evolved in the cell phone world in the last few years, I suspect wireless charging will be old skool in no time.  I also am hopeful that charging your battery in the middle of the day will be a thing of the past as well.  If your phone cannot last for 16 hours, you are using it too much or the battery sucks.