Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to upgrade sound system

Beezer

Looking for advice from the pro's so of course I'm turning back to the Crew.  07' VLX with the stock system, looking to upgrade tower's, in boats, and sub.  I have it down to three brands JL, Exile, Wetsounds. I'm guessing I need two amps for this as well or will one do.  One set of towers, 4 or 6 in boats, one sub.  What's the best bang for your buck???

Here’s what I’d do: (I have no problem with JL or wetsounds, all 3 companies make a quality product imho)

check out the scratch/dent section on the exile website and try to pick up a Javelin 5ch to power 4 -2ohm in boats at 150w and 800w to a sub @2ohm

One pair or 2 pair of towers.(and are you looking to project at wake distance?)

personally I like 2 pair of the surf 9’s paired with 1-xm30 -gets you 210w@2ohm

(2 Xm-30 if you have the$) this gets you 300w@4ohm

poke around the inter web and see what’s out there, and them call up Exile and tell the, what you are looking to do and have them work up a package within your budget

Found a javelin and a XM30.2 and a XM15.4 What's the difference?  Found Demo XM9 and demo SXTQ9 towers again what's the difference? They also have demo SX65-M inboats, this is all scratch and dent or demo stuff, is this safe?  I'm looking for a better than average system without breaking the bank, what do you think?

one more question, what do you think of the LED's in the speaker's?  are they worth it or is it just something else to go wrong? It looks pretty damn cool!

1 hour ago, Beezer said:

Found a javelin and a XM30.2 and a XM15.4 What's the difference?  Found Demo XM9 and demo SXTQ9 towers again what's the difference? They also have demo SX65-M inboats, this is all scratch and dent or demo stuff, is this safe?  I'm looking for a better than average system without breaking the bank, what do you think?

XM30.2 is a two-channel amp designed to power tower speakers (either on pair or two)

XM15.4 is a four channel amp designed to power your cabin speakers 

XM15.1 is a mono amp designed to power your sub

Javelin is a five channel amp designed to power your cabin and your sub. It’s like two amps in one!

XM9 is a tower speaker designed to shoot music way way way far behind the boat (i.e. wakeboard distance and beyond). It does this using a horn in the middle (pic 1)

SXTQ9 (aka “Surf9) is a tower speaker designed for shorter distance (i.e. surf distance). Because there’s no horn it produces a “warmer” sound with more mid bass that many prefer inside the boat (pic 2)

Both the XM9 and the Surf9 are available in black or white and share the same can so they look almost identical  

Your most economical Exile system is going to be a Javelin (cabin + sub) and XM30.2 (tower). Two amps makes for a much simpler install as well (pic 3).

For speakers, I would run two sets of Surf9’s, SX65-M cabin speakers, and Xi12 DVC subwoofer.  

I’ve run this exact setup before and it’s great!

3CC7B7C8-C57D-4CF4-B467-82089E1BFFFC.jpeg

5E5AA7B5-DFE2-454F-A245-8C5912E60BB6.jpeg

3A627A17-FEB3-4518-A7B0-D92861617953.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
55 minutes ago, Beezer said:

one more question, what do you think of the LED's in the speaker's?  are they worth it or is it just something else to go wrong? It looks pretty damn cool!

Yes, LED’s are cool. I ran them in my Surf9’s last year... 

But it’s more $ and adds some effort to your install. 

F1CDFA9C-948B-411F-A74C-AD0408CB2BE1.jpeg

9BF2499C-59C8-489C-AF77-1C04C695D0FD.jpeg

D6A7CCBF-C372-4379-B302-A66210399935.jpeg

A6B75DB3-859F-4178-AB48-5EE430CEF7BF.jpeg

89B4D6FD-54F3-4340-9FAA-1FE0703DCE79.jpeg

5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

With LEDs the real question is IMHO whether you are ever actually out after dark to see them?

the tower LEDs are also likely illegal.

^^^^ this ^^^^

Thanks for all the info and pic's, do the LED's stay on all the time or are they on a switch? are the wetsounds a horn type tower speaker?  Any thoughts on where I can find the best price, I have a family member in New Castle, WY I can ship to.

I am doing a refresh on my stereo on my 05VLX.  I have done a bit of research and can maybe offer some cost effective routes.

Towers:

I found some nice 6X9 cans from a newer LSV and modded them to fit my tower.  I recently bought WetSounds Rev696 HCLD horns for the cans.  You can find these for $250-$400 for a set.

I am powering these by a WS HT-4 bridged at 300W X 2 that I already have.

For in-cabin....I am using 6 Polk DB651.  These are super cheap and really good.  I also have a set of MM651's that I might throw into the main cabin.  For power, look at the NVX P900.5.  It shares a very proven common chassis and board with several other amps.   You can find this for around $200 and it is 70 watts rms X 4 and 220 watts rms X 1 at 4 ohm.

I am reusing my sub for now, but relocating to under the helm....may replace that if needed.

Good Luck.

On 3/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, Beezer said:

Looking for advice from the pro's so of course I'm turning back to the Crew.  07' VLX with the stock system, looking to upgrade tower's, in boats, and sub.  I have it down to three brands JL, Exile, Wetsounds. I'm guessing I need two amps for this as well or will one do.  One set of towers, 4 or 6 in boats, one sub.  What's the best bang for your buck???

You can fit 8 inch speakers mid ships.  Improves mid bass a lot.  I have 8" Kickers.

Simple to enlarge the holes with a dremel.