Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 RAM 3500

NorNevRider

2 hours ago, cptotr said:

Obviously the gas is a lower output, but that’s the same in all brands. If the aisin is such a great transmission and is required to get the output the Cummins is capable of they should just put it in all of their HD trucks equipped with the Cummins. Can’t really see a reason they wouldn’t. Similar to the Allison transmission in the GM. 

Don’t get me wrong. I like the Ram. I liked my 2015 and will consider it later this year when I upgrade trucks again.  

Seems to me a couple things.  One is it gives people the option to have a (slightly) lower price point.  Could also be a matter of production capacity.

Personally, I think having options is a selling point.

Not to mention, a good 50% of hd trucks are bought by people who will never tow more than 5k (if anything) with them.  No reason to have the premium towing equipment on everything when diesel bro just wants to be able to say he has a Cummins. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

How does my 2500 have it?

You don’t have an Aisin in your 2500, sorry. Pop open your hood and tell me which side of the motor your trans dip stick is on. An Aisin has the trans dipstick on the drivers side and it says right on it “Mopar AS68RC ATF only”. 

757E1F44-994D-4739-93C4-98D1297007C7.jpeg

Edited by gorilla

No one has touched the topic of the redesign of the 6.7 itself. It's actually going to be an all new block material, heads, intake, pistons, crank, , fuel systems, etc. The cooling packages and intake are also new and larger. The grill air flow design has electronically controlled shutters. This is the kind of technology we normally see in really heavy duty off road and over the road long haul applications. They have tried to shave weight where possible without impacting structural integrity. The frame of the trucks is a higher strength alloy, and braking capacity is increased. All of this comes at a price. My Ford has lasted 14 years and is actually in excellent condition overall. It has never used a drop of oil or lacked for power on a big tow. I am curious how my 18 RAM will last, and, how this new design will last. It looks very good, bumpers, aluminum tailgate, and hood being the exception.

Ram has done an excellent job on the auto leveling airbag systems. It's pricey option but worth it. I added the Pac-Brake airbags to my F250. They are well-made and work great, but not as convenient. I've heard complaints about DEF consumption on the new trucks. My experience in 5300 miles (all towing after the first 800 miles), is 8 gallons of DEF consumed. I am curious about other owner's DEF usage. 

As far as DEF usage is concerned, 8gal towing is about right for a Cummins. Jump on CumminsForum and look for yourself. DEF is “supposed” to be roughly 3% of your fuel consumption. Most guys are getting 1000mpg empty and 650mpg towing. You are at @ 660mpg. 

The new Cummins motor longevity is gonna be a question for a while. Lots of new things that should “help” it live a long and healthy life. But one bad thing is on them now.....the CP4 pump. Those are know to be horrible fuel pumps that destroy entire fuel systems when the pump dies. And the pumps die often due to the crappy diesel we have in the US. I love my 2015 3500 and am doing everything I can to make it last for another 5 yrs. 

Edited by gorilla

It is very interesting. If I remember correctly I could be wrong. When I bought my 14 ram srw 3500. The Aisin was somewhere around a $4500 extra. When I bought my 18 it was about a 26-2700 adder. That was a no brainer. And many more Aisin at the dealers around here. Did Dodge find it was cheaper to drop the price on the Aisin than to pay warranty replacements on the standard auto transmission? Just thoughts to throw in the air. I will never go back to the standard auto trans. 

I think it was about 4K for the upgrade in late 15. Was definitely worth it giving the fact of the complete rebuild of the 06 tranny. It did have over 100k on it at the time. Everyone said, wow you got lucky 🤔. Still trying to figure that one out. 

18 hours ago, gorilla said:

As far as DEF usage is concerned, 8gal towing is about right for a Cummins. Jump on CumminsForum and look for yourself. DEF is “supposed” to be roughly 3% of your fuel consumption. Most guys are getting 1000mpg empty and 650mpg towing. You are at @ 660mpg. 

The new Cummins motor longevity is gonna be a question for a while. Lots of new things that should “help” it live a long and healthy life. But one bad thing is on them now.....the CP4 pump. Those are know to be horrible fuel pumps that destroy entire fuel systems when the pump dies. And the pumps die often due to the crappy diesel we have in the US. I love my 2015 3500 and am doing everything I can to make it last for another 5 yrs. 

This is very interesting to me and thanks for your response. I believe the 19 has a new fuel pump if I remember what I read. What are you doing to make yours last? Specifically, are you using any fuel supplements? 

12 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

This is very interesting to me and thanks for your response. I believe the 19 has a new fuel pump if I remember what I read. What are you doing to make yours last? Specifically, are you using any fuel supplements? 

No fuel supplements...have read some INCREASE your number of regens. I am just keeping up with preventive maintenance per the book. Tranny fluid changes, diff fluid changes, 6 month oil changes (which is stupid, but keeps the warranty going for the 5yr/100k), regular fuel filter changes, etc. 

On 3/30/2019 at 8:19 AM, gorilla said:

You don’t have an Aisin in your 2500, sorry. Pop open your hood and tell me which side of the motor your trans dip stick is on. An Aisin has the trans dipstick on the drivers side and it says right on it “Mopar AS68RC ATF only”. 

757E1F44-994D-4739-93C4-98D1297007C7.jpeg

Ahhh man.... it is with a heavy heart I report my 2500 is like all the others. (As the experts said) No aisin for me. My confusion came from two things. I broke the golden role and believed the sales guy telling me the 2500 I bought was the same as a 3500 I drove on the lot but with springs instead of leaf. Second I didn’t research transmission codes as the 68RFE is listed on the sticker as standard, then listed again under the adds of optional equipment with the 3.42 gears. I only looked at the optional equipment and assumed the 68RFE was the upgraded aisin we spoke about..... :Frustrated:

6 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Ahhh man.... it is with a heavy heart I report my 2500 is like all the others. (As the experts said) No aisin for me.

The good news it is the same truck you have been happy with even if the tranny isn't the one you thought it was.  

• Like 1