Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 RAM 3500

NorNevRider

There are always a lot of great opinions on this site. I have recently been reading up on the 2019 RAM 3500 with the redesigned Cummins 6.7and a multitude of frame/chassis improvements. This looks like it could be an incredible towing rig. Has anyone else been looking and what do you think? My intent is not to start a RAM vs Chevy vs Ford debate, but I imagine some comparisons may arise. RAM has made a lot of information public in advance of the 2nd quarter 2019 release of the trucks.

You are the first 19 owner I've met. That is a good start. I am an 18 3500 owner and the truck is an extremely stable towing machine. Very well built and confidence inspiring are the terms I use. Congrats on the new truck. They are also nice looking trucks.

4 minutes ago, Falko said:

Which transmission are they backing the Cummins with?

Aisin transmission.  I have a 2017 Ram 2500 that has been an awesome truck.  My truck doesn't have the Aisin transmission, that transmission I think is only available in the 3500.

IMG_7295.jpg

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Falko said:

Which transmission are they backing the Cummins with?

For 2018, they still offer 3 transmissions and 3 output levels in the truck.  Manual tranny is the lowest output, 68RFE is standard, and the AISIN gets the HO engine.

I have a 2012 that I am overall very happy with, but that new HD is going to be hard to resist......

18 is the last year of the manual. And yes, you have to have a 3500 to get an AISIN and the 1000 lb. ft. of torque. 

I had an 14 with the standard auto trans. I now have an 18 with the Aisin. And I will say there is a huge difference between the 14 with the standard trans and the 18 Aisin. So much nicer to tow with and the 18 is so much more stable. I wish I could trade mine in for the 19.  Oh and I run SRW

Seems a little bit misleading by Ram to advertise these big numbers, but require you to get a 3500 and an Aisin transmission to achieve it. I’d imagine the majority of the Cummins that are sold are a 2500 and just have their standard transmission and reduced hp/torque ratings. I do like the new Ram though. 

1 hour ago, cptotr said:

Seems a little bit misleading by Ram to advertise these big numbers, but require you to get a 3500 and an Aisin transmission to achieve it. I’d imagine the majority of the Cummins that are sold are a 2500 and just have their standard transmission and reduced hp/torque ratings. I do like the new Ram though. 

If you are talking "big numbers" as in towing capacity, it seems logical that you would need the most capable (biggest) truck to have that.  And I would say the same as HP/Torque.  I don't expect every Mustang or Camaro to have the most power advertised.  Or every F150.   

Edited by RyanB

I am 95% set on getting a 2020 GMC HD, but I must say the new Ram is pretty impressive from what I have seen.   I might even go test drive one.  Hence 95% and not 100% on the GMC.  :)

18 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I am 95% set on getting a 2020 GMC HD, but I must say the new Ram is pretty impressive from what I have seen.   I might even go test drive one.  Hence 95% and not 100% on the GMC.  :)

The GMC is a great truck. I think it would be very stable to tow with too. I drove all the new trucks before buying my 2018 3500 SRW. I bought the 2018 specifically to tow our boat. My wife loves how quiet the RAM is. We also have a completely not stock 2005 F250. It's an amazing tow rig. She just does't like listening to the Jet wind up or when I crop dust someone.

Honestly I was never interested in a Cummins truck prior to this one. It's just an amazing towing rig and I like what RAM has done with all the Trans/motor/axle tech. 

5 minutes ago, NorNevRider said:

The GMC is a great truck. I think it would be very stable to tow with too. I drove all the new trucks before buying my 2018 3500 SRW. I bought the 2018 specifically to tow our boat. My wife loves how quiet the RAM is. We also have a completely not stock 2005 F250. It's an amazing tow rig. She just does't like listening to the Jet wind up or when I crop dust someone.

Honestly I was never interested in a Cummins truck prior to this one. It's just an amazing towing rig and I like what RAM has done with all the Trans/motor/axle tech. 

She doesn't like it when I crop dust the boat too!

2 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

The "crop dust someone" is the crap that gives diesel owners a bad name......

23 hours ago, RyanB said:

If you are talking "big numbers" as in towing capacity, it seems logical that you would need the most capable (biggest) truck to have that.  And I would say the same as HP/Torque.  I don't expect every Mustang or Camaro to have the most power advertised.  Or every F150.   

The big numbers I was referring to were horsepower and torque.  I understand you need a 3500 DRW setup to get the maximum towing capacity, but that's not what I'm talking about.  I just think that's a little misleading if you have to upgrade to the Aisin transmission, which apparently was only available in the 3500 like was mentioned above, and that is what was required in order to get the advertised hp and torque ratings.  I haven't read up enough on the new Ram to know if it's the same way or not.  370 hp and 850 lbs of torque doesn't quite sound as impressive as 400 hp and 1,000 lbs of torque which is all you can get with the standard transmission.  I wouldn't expect every mustang or camaro to have the most power advertised either, but those are not heavy duty trucks and it's consistent with what the other manufacturers do.  Ford and GM give you the same hp and torque ratings for all of its HD trucks, with the exception of a few commercial fleet rigs that I believe they actually detune, but that's not what the majority of the population is buying.

1 hour ago, cptotr said:

Ford and GM give you the same hp and torque ratings for all of its HD trucks, with the exception of a few commercial fleet rigs that I believe they actually detune, but that's not what the majority of the population is buying.

Not true.  Ford an GM both also offer multiple engines in their HD trucks.  It just happens that the lower output is gas.

I'm a MOPAR guy, but it doesn't really bother me on the ratings.  And, if you follow some of the testing, highest HP or TQ hasn't been the fastest up the hill.  GM has been lowest output for several years, and always seems to win the races.

You are correct on the Aisin though - only available on the 3500.  Doesn't have to be DRW though.

Can't speak about the 2019's but we LOVE our 2015 3500 Ram. The aisin tranny is a must in our life style and the power from the cummins is great. We also ordered the rear air bags suspension, cant beat the ride when towing heavy. We use it to pull our 45 foot toy hauler, 30 foot (6) horse trailer, and moves my construction/farm equipment around just fine. This is our 2nd 3500 and our first one is an 2006 with 335k miles, she's still working everyday as well. Hope this helps. You definitely won't be disappointed.

14 hours ago, RyanB said:

The "crop dust someone" is the crap that gives diesel owners a bad name......

Yes, that's the reason we bought the new truck as I stated. After raising the family we could finally afford a new truck. I understand your point. Some people modify their trucks to do that intentionally. In our case, we made a truck last for 14 years. Our truck doesn't have bigger injectors or a tune. It just has the necessary repairs that a 60 year old family man could afford to do to keep the family truck running. I don't have a lift or bigger tires either, if you were wondering. 

13 hours ago, RyanB said:

You are correct on the Aisin though - only available on the 3500.  Doesn't have to be DRW though.

How does my 2500 have it?

2 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

How does my 2500 have it?

Yours has the HO and the Aisin? I wasn't aware that was an option. Was it a special ordered truck?

Not a special build, but I guess rare as the dealer had to ship it in from Oklahoma. 4x4 Laramie mega cab. I believe it was in the sport appearance group package where it listed it out. I remember the sales guy specially point it out. It has coils in the rear. I’ll see if I can find the sticker for the ratio and any other details.

21 hours ago, RyanB said:

Not true.  Ford an GM both also offer multiple engines in their HD trucks.  It just happens the lower output is gas.

Obviously the gas is a lower output, but that’s the same in all brands. If the aisin is such a great transmission and is required to get the output the Cummins is capable of they should just put it in all of their HD trucks equipped with the Cummins. Can’t really see a reason they wouldn’t. Similar to the Allison transmission in the GM. 

Don’t get me wrong. I like the Ram. I liked my 2015 and will consider it later this year when I upgrade trucks again.