Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast not regeresting on dash

2011 wakesetter ballast  not working on dash. We have just been filling until water comes out the overflow. if I remember correctly its just the port rear tank. I have been told by a dealer that you can remove the floor over the tank and move the float up and down to loosen it up as its probably sticking. My questions are,

Is it a float that controls the gage.

Has anyone had this problem and corrected it.

how difficult is removing the floor over the tank.

Thanks

The sensor is a stick with a floating donut on it. You would have to be floating in jello or pb&j for it to stick and not register because there is a lot of space between the two. I was starting to have that issue on my bow tank before I sold my '10 and it was hit or miss. Mostly miss last year so I was in the same boat you are in now. Removing the floor is easy enough, but I did have to take the vertical seat support out of the starboard side to rotate the floor out when I was messing with a pump back there. Had to remove the HDPE dog house cover near the engine wall divider as well. 6 x 1/4" SS screws for the sensor IIRC. Moeller makes all of the plastic tanks to include the gas tank and they also make the sensors for their tanks. Was about $40.00 for a new on as I recall. Just Google Moeller and it will come up.

Edited by wdr
sp

We are having similar problems on our 2019 although they might be related to calibration over a sticky sensor.  Our ballast will read 25% and stop filling when you have selected 50%.  You hit 50% again to start filling and nothing will happen.  Is this normal?  Sorry for the hijack but related topics.  :-)

1 hour ago, eubanks said:

We are having similar problems on our 2019 although they might be related to calibration over a sticky sensor.  Our ballast will read 25% and stop filling when you have selected 50%.  You hit 50% again to start filling and nothing will happen.  Is this normal?  Sorry for the hijack but related topics.  :-)

I will have to check this my self when I get back out. I know that if you manually hit "FILL ALL" you have to shut it off yourself per the OM.

ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, wdr said:

I will have to check this my self when I get back out. I know that if you manually hit "FILL ALL" you have to shut it off yourself per the OM.

If you hit fill all, there will be a button to to "stop all". Or individually select the pumps on the screen then hit stop. You can select multiple pumps at a time.

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

If you hit fill all, there will be a button to to "stop all". Or individually select the pumps on the screen then hit stop. You can select multiple pumps at a time.

Yep, tracking that. :) For the PnP that was the way to get them full

ahopkins22LSV

Granted I don't wake board so I only care about empty and full, but I only ever hit fill all and then stop all. Or if I am actually paying attention I will turn off the bow and center pumps before the rears are full as they fill first. 

52 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Granted I don't wake board so I only care about empty and full, but I only ever hit fill all and then stop all. Or if I am actually paying attention I will turn off the bow and center pumps before the rears are full as they fill first. 

Ditto, although I do have the presets setup to use single sided until I get the skills to switch sides. I can surf heel or toe side, but only goofy to this point not having a gated boat before now. 

On mine the "fill all" works but doesn't shut off on the port side since the gage is still showing empty  so we watch for water out the drain and shut it off manually. Draining needs to start manually on port side and watch for the water to stop.

Our screen does light up correctly for each pump on or off. My issue has to be at the float or a wiring problem. I don't believe its in the screen.  

45 minutes ago, windy1 said:

On mine the "fill all" works but doesn't shut off on the port side since the gage is still showing empty  so we watch for water out the drain and shut it off manually. Draining needs to start manually on port side and watch for the water to stop.

Our screen does light up correctly for each pump on or off. My issue has to be at the float or a wiring problem. I don't believe its in the screen.  

Now you are starting to worry me! My "FILL ALL" works as advertised. I have to manually "ALL OFF" the "FILL ALL" to stop them from filling, which I thought was per the OM. Guess I will reread it again.

I think our setting is "go home" on the upper screen. That drains all ballast until floats reads empty then they automatically shut off. also moves the wedge to minimum then we raise it once we are in gear.  I can turn pumps on or off manually on the lower right touch screen.

I haven't been on the boat this year yet and the more I think about it I remember we use the pre-sets on the main screen to fill ballast but they are set one for a beginner (no ballast) and the rest all are full ballast but different wedge and speeds. We only ever ride with ballast completely full or completely empty.

It doesn't seem right to "fill all" then have to shut down manually. I know mine does not work that way.

ahopkins22LSV

Hitting stop all it’s pretty tough...

I totally understand if you want to wakeboard at 50% but if you want everything full I honestly don’t get why there is any issue at all. Hit fill all, wait for water to spew out, hit stop. 

5 hours ago, windy1 said:

I think our setting is "go home" on the upper screen. That drains all ballast until floats reads empty then they automatically shut off. also moves the wedge to minimum then we raise it once we are in gear.  I can turn pumps on or off manually on the lower right touch screen.

I haven't been on the boat this year yet and the more I think about it I remember we use the pre-sets on the main screen to fill ballast but they are set one for a beginner (no ballast) and the rest all are full ballast but different wedge and speeds. We only ever ride with ballast completely full or completely empty.

It doesn't seem right to "fill all" then have to shut down manually. I know mine does not work that way.

On my ‘10 if I used the presets the pumps would auto turn off once the in tank sensor said it was full. If I used any of the 3 MUX switches to fill any tank, the pump(s) would run continuously until they were manually shut off with the MUX or the ALL OFF switch. Don’t know if this was how it was supposed to work, but it always did for me.