Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Brake Setting Dodge Ram

TexasTurner

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn’t find the answer on the forum. I just got a new tow rig, 2019 Dodge Ram 1500. Unlike my last Ram this one actually has trailer brakes. I am towing a Malibu 21 MLX and was curious as to what my trailer brake setting should be, there are four options: light electric, heavy electric, light electric over hydraulic, and heavy electric over hydraulic. I seriously have no idea which one to pick or how to set the amount of braking applied, i.e. 4.5, 10.0, 12.0 etc...

The other interesting thing happened a few months ago. I drove a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 while I was getting my truck worked on. I hauled my boat to storage with the loaner (with trailer brakes) and the brakes kept locking up when I was backing into the storage building. I am hoping that this doesn’t happen with this truck. Is there something I need to add or do before backing the trailer? I keep seeing something about wiring up something to the back up light, a reverse lockout key etc. I have no idea what those are or why I would need to do that for a 2018 Boat and 2019 truck. 

Any help would be appreciated!!

99% chance that your trailer has surge brakes.  The brake controller isn't going to do anything. 

As for the backing up issue, the truck should already be wired properly to actuate the brake lockout solinoid. So test the wiring on the trailer. 

Edited by oldjeep

You can set it to whatever you want, won’t make a difference with surge brakes. That said if you do tow a trailer with electric brakes, I usually start around 3.5 on my ram and adjust if needed. 

• Thanks 1

@oldjeep you can have a 7 pin and only use four of the actual pins. If the vehicle does not have a 4 pin receiver plug or the owner does not have a 4-7 adapter you can go with just a 7 pin.

2 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

@oldjeep you can have a 7 pin and only use four of the actual pins. If the vehicle does not have a 4 pin receiver plug or the owner does not have a 4-7 adapter you can go with just a 7 pin.

No kidding.  Re-read what I posted - it was a response to the nonsense that sixball posted ;)

Edited by oldjeep
12 hours ago, TexasTurner said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn’t find the answer on the forum. I just got a new tow rig, 2019 Dodge Ram 1500. Unlike my last Ram this one actually has trailer brakes. I am towing a Malibu 21 MLX and was curious as to what my trailer brake setting should be, there are four options: light electric, heavy electric, light electric over hydraulic, and heavy electric over hydraulic. I seriously have no idea which one to pick or how to set the amount of braking applied, i.e. 4.5, 10.0, 12.0 etc...

The other interesting thing happened a few months ago. I drove a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 while I was getting my truck worked on. I hauled my boat to storage with the loaner (with trailer brakes) and the brakes kept locking up when I was backing into the storage building. I am hoping that this doesn’t happen with this truck. Is there something I need to add or do before backing the trailer? I keep seeing something about wiring up something to the back up light, a reverse lockout key etc. I have no idea what those are or why I would need to do that for a 2018 Boat and 2019 truck. 

Any help would be appreciated!!

Was the trailer still plugged into the vehicle when you backed it up into the storage unit.  If it is not plugged in, the override for the surge brake won't work.  The override for the surge brake is controlled by the tow vehicles backup lights.

Edited by Hemmy
49 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

Was the trailer still plugged into the vehicle when you backed it up into the storage unit.  If it is not plugged in, the override for the surge brake won't work.  The override for the surge brake is controlled by the tow vehicles backup lights.

It was still plugged in. I never had that problem on my 2016 Ram without trailer brakes. The 2019 Ram loaner with trailer brakes locked up in reverse. I still haven’t had time to test my new 2019 Ram with trailer brakes to see if it will lock up in reverse. I am hoping I can play with it before I’m stuck dealing with it on the boat ramp. 

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

99% chance that your trailer has surge brakes.  The brake controller isn't going to do anything. 

As for the backing up issue, the truck should already be wired properly to actuate the brake lockout solinoid. So test the wiring on the trailer. 

How would I test the wiring on the trailer? 

21 minutes ago, TexasTurner said:

It was still plugged in. I never had that problem on my 2016 Ram without trailer brakes. The 2019 Ram loaner with trailer brakes locked up in reverse. I still haven’t had time to test my new 2019 Ram with trailer brakes to see if it will lock up in reverse. I am hoping I can play with it before I’m stuck dealing with it on the boat ramp. 

Worst case scenario, make sure you have the lockout key and a clamp to clamp the key in place if you are not able to check it beforehand.  

52 minutes ago, PMBST said:

On my 2019 Ram 1500, I have to disable the rear parking sensor for it to unlock the surge brakes.

Hmm, I wouldn't say for sure that my 2018 doesn't act the same way.  I turned it off when towing because I didn't like the beeping everytime I put it in reverse. 

8 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Worst case scenario, make sure you have the lockout key and a clamp to clamp the key in place if you are not able to check it beforehand.  

I looked for the lockout key today. I don’t know that I have one and if I do, I have no idea where it is located. 

That was going to be the backup plan if I ever had trouble. 

8 hours ago, PMBST said:

On my 2019 Ram 1500, I have to disable the rear parking sensor for it to unlock the surge brakes.

I hope the solution is that simple! Maybe I’ll have time to test it out later this week. 

49 minutes ago, TexasTurner said:

I looked for the lockout key today. I don’t know that I have one and if I do, I have no idea where it is located. 

That was going to be the backup plan if I ever had trouble. 

a c-clamp works in a pinch.. lol.. been there ;) 

Edited by kerpluxal

Does your trailer have a 5-way flat connector?  Do you have the appropriate 5-way adapter for your truck?  Seems screwy the brake lockout wouldn't work if you have the correct adapter.  The brake lockout solenoid uses the trailer reverse lights wire, which should come on with the reverse lights in your truck.  I suppose Ram could have done something screwy and disabled that function with the reverse sensors enabled but I'm not sure why they would.  Maybe to prevent yahoos from putting blindingly bright auxiliary reverse lights on their trucks?

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Does your trailer have a 5-way flat connector?  Do you have the appropriate 5-way adapter for your truck?  Seems screwy the brake lockout wouldn't work if you have the correct adapter.  The brake lockout solenoid uses the trailer reverse lights wire, which should come on with the reverse lights in your truck.  I suppose Ram could have done something screwy and disabled that function with the reverse sensors enabled but I'm not sure why they would.  Maybe to prevent yahoos from putting blindingly bright auxiliary reverse lights on their trucks?

My 2014 and 2018. Both. Trailer brakes deactivate when truck is put in reverse. Never had a problem. 

My 18 Supra with boatmate trailer is having same issue. I’ve checked my plug at the truck and it’s getting power. It will be the center pin. Next is to check the actuator on the trailer.  If you have swing away tongue, the actuator is actually right where it breaks away. Could be a loose wire or bad actuator.  You can get on boatmate’s website and go to manuals, then get a wiring diagram for the trailer. 

5 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Or you could just install the Lockout cap.  It goes in place of the plastic MC cover cap and you just twist it to lock out the brakes  This price is a little crazy, but that is what I run on my trailer for emergencies

https://www.amazon.com/UFP-Dexter-Brake-Lockout-Cap/dp/B006UH5ZSY

5156ID58N5L.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
16 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I have both the 7 way round connector and 4 way flat connector on the truck. I am using the 7 way cable that was standard with the trailer.