Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil pressure switch leak

My 2003 Malibu VLX Wakesetter, (Indmar)Monsoon 335hp has a leaking oil pressure switch. After reading some posts I think I know what I need to do, but looking for confirmation that I'm on the right track since I don't work on engines a lot. Interestingly after reading posts, I think I should additionally replace the oil pressure sensor/sender to hopefully resolve the brief "Oil Pressure" warning and few beeps that occur at beginning of acceleration.

This looks very simple so hate to have boat sitting in shop for extended period. Looks like I need 1) Indmar oil pressure switch part #645006 ( https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-oil-pressure-switch-sensor.html )   and 2) oil pressure sensor part #645002 (https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-oil-pressure-sending-unit-sensor.html ). 

Any warnings, tips, or confirmation before proceeding are much appreciated. Thanks

my rig is similar vintage.

my oil sending units were mounted to the block on a small piece of brass piping.

the piping was the issue, not the sending units.

even if yours is not leaking i'd recommend replacing that cylindrical section of pipe with something much more substantial.

a trip to a big box store will likely give you lots of options to cobble up a new set-up.

good luck w it.

Thanks, I'll fire it up and look closely at that but it looked like the oil was coming out of the side of the oil pressure switch away from the engine where the silver and black sections of the pressure switch come together.

This will be an easy repair for you to handle.  Watch out for that brass piping that tvano mentioned, be sure to brace the brass pipe with a wrench to prevent the brass pipe from bending before you try to unscrew the oil pressure switch or oil pressure sender.   I would replace both the switch and the sender while you are at it and take careful look at the brass pipe or just replace it as well.

When reassembling, don't use Teflon tape on any of the pipe threads.  There has to be electrical continuity through the threads for the sensor to function.  Use another sealer. 

• Like 2

2002 sunscape, had the same issue 2-3 years ago. Broke the brass fitting when I tried to remove the units. I strongly suggest to replace the fittings as well. 

It's a 10 min job, although a little stressful when your crew is waiting on the dock and you break the fitting in the block 😂 

Good luck!

11 hours ago, JulioEstevez said:

2002 sunscape, had the same issue 2-3 years ago. Broke the brass fitting when I tried to remove the units. I strongly suggest to replace the fittings as well. 

It's a 10 min job, although a little stressful when your crew is waiting on the dock and you break the fitting in the block 😂 

Good luck!

Me too.

Steve B.