Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mercedes G55 AMG

cWonka

Looking at a local Mercedes G55 AMG (2002). Won’t be our primary tow rig by any stretch, but I wanted to get the Crews input before I made thhe purchase official. Any comments, suggestions, recomendations, or things to look/watch out for?

Thanks

Always have been and will be a G-wagon fan.

Been loving my used German vehicles lately. Truck only had 19 fault codes on the scanner yesterday! But seriously, as long as you're able to diagnose and do some more-than-basic repairs yourself I wouldn't shy away from the right deal. Get on the internets and look for common problems. 

Edited by jk13

I've always loved the way the G-Wagon looks.  Don't think I could ever justify the price tag for it though.  I ain't no high roller, I'll stick with my Tundra.

My comment is why?  Even as a 2002, those are pretty pricey.  If you want off roading ability, there are better options.  If you want a nice SUV, for that money get a 2011+ Porsche Cayenne Turbo.  Will tow better, nicer interior with more modern tech, much faster and more fun to drive.  

Definitely look cool and not gonna lie if they fit my needs I would buy one too. Talking function and performance? You can probably do better with modern technology. 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, Nitrousbird said:

My comment is why?  Even as a 2002, those are pretty pricey.  If you want off roading ability, there are better options.  If you want a nice SUV, for that money get a 2011+ Porsche Cayenne Turbo.  Will tow better, nicer interior with more modern tech, much faster and more fun to drive.  

Recall the part of Gone in 60 seconds where Cage goes to the ferrari dealership and compares a 360 (or whatever) to a 1967 gtb 4 cam?....I can't get it out of my head now

In my mind the g wagon is for the kid who made a car out of 2 cardboard boxes and wants to relive their childhood.  If it didn't cost a bazillion dollars and have a tri star on the grill, would anyone think it was cool? 

Add 2 more wheels to get a g63 6x6 and then you have something equally as ugly, but cool.  😁

Edited by oldjeep

If it didn't have a tri-star, and was cheap, and had the same capabilities, then I'd want one. There's this nasty pot-hole growing in the Starbucks drive thru...

• Like 2

Wow, a bunch of haters in here. 
Me and the wife looked at them for a bit after her Escalade ran out of warranty. 
We were looking at the G63's, I thought the G63 and G65 were AMG's and the 550's were normal Mercedes. 
But the AMG's interior is much nicer and we really liked the newer 2012/2013+ dash over the older ones. 
Still so odd that they only have one cup holder for the entire vehicle. 

I dug around a bit but couldn't find much information about what years or engines are better maintenance schedules etc. 
Even the forums I found were mostly "take it to the dealer" types. 

I really love the new dash for 2019. But I am way to much of a tight a** to be looking at 19's for another few years. 

Love the G wagon. Friend of mine used to have one and the sound the doors make when closing were pure joy. Someday I'll have one but for now I'll just stare at everyone that drives by in one.

I'm trying to decide whether to move the Wrangler now for the G Wagon, or wait until next spring and opt for the Gladiator. Still haven't seen anything pushing me one way or the other. For reference, the Jeep is paid off and the 2020 Gladiator would probably be a little more reliable and a lot more practical to tow the boat.