Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 VLX or 23 LSV

7lazy77

I currently have a 2013 VLX & was entertaining the idea of upgrading to a 2015/2016 22 VLX or 23 LSV.  I know there was a hull change on the 22 VLX which resulted in 4" longer, 2" more beam & 3" more draft.  It doesn't sound like much, but can you really tell the difference?  My kids are getting bigger & a little more room would be nice, but not sure if I quite want to go up to an LSV.  For those that have sat in all of them, what are your feelings on the room you gain with each?  I don't want a big boat that I have to weigh down with a bunch of sacs get a decent surf wake.  What are the pro's/con's of the 2015/2016 models when comparing them that I should be on the lookout for?  

In 2015 they changed the hull of the 22VLX to be way more like the 23LSV. It will feel bigger than what you have not just because of the length and beam increases - I think the depth makes the biggest difference. You sit lower inside making it feel super spacious. 

Weighting a 22VLX and a 23LSV is about the same - You'll want Plug n Play bags on either one and both will have a killer wake. I'd be on the lookout for both and if you find one with colors and options you like for a good price, you'd be stoked with either model. 

In 2016 they switched to the Ford Raptor engine, so if you have an engine preference, the year will make a difference.

Good info & thanks.  I have been happy with the Indmar engine in boat now, but I also understand that with a bigger boat, it would be best to get the bigger motor....plus I boat at 5000' plus.  I haven't done much research on the Raptor engine, but how has it performed for others so far?

I had a 2013 23 LSV (350 monsoon) and last year bought a 2106 22 VLX. I also spend time on a friends 2012 VLX which would be the same as yours without surfgate. I live at 4500’ and boat here as well as spend a lot of time at a 6000’ lake. My observations:

1. The 22 VLX absolutely feels bigger than the 21 VLX. As said above not only is it a little longer and wider but deeper as well. If you happy with your current size you will love the 22. For me, I miss the extra 14” and am looking at going back to a 23 LSV.  I love my current boat but that little bit of length makes a big difference. If you can go sit in both boats and compare, I would. Even if you go to a dealer and sit in new ones.

2. I would look for either a 2015 with the 410 or 450 or a 2016 with the Raptor 410.  I was blown away by the Raptor engine and 1.76 tranny and would never go back to the old 350 monsoon setup. At our elevation the 350 got it done but barely. It was giving it all it had to surf at 10.6 at 6,000’. With the 410 I truned off the cruise and put the throttle down in surf mode at it was blasting through 13 mph when I pulled it back. 

3 hours ago, 7lazy77 said:

“My kids are getting bigger & a little more room would be nice”

Get the 23LSV.   Especially if they are going to want to start bringing friends along....

• Like 2

Ill make some similar comments.   When we bought our 2017 22 VLX, the decision came down to the 20 VTX (narrow beam, a very good crossover boat), a 21 VLX (great price, but still narrow beam boat) and the 22 VLX.   Because our average crew is 6+, I got the same 6 adults to get on board all three.   The extra beam (and depth) made a startlingly large difference.    With 6 adults, either of the 20 VTX or 21 VLX would have been great boats, but we wanted space for the people, and gear, and the decision really wasnt too hard for us.   We are about to start our third season, and our normal crew is closer to 8 now, in fact for surfing, I find the best wave is with 8-9 on board.

We live in Colorado, so our normal lakes are > 5000'.   The engine decision was a hard one for me.   Generally I think there is no such thing as too much power, only too much money. The 575 was the latter for me.  However I found a VERY interesting comparison here of the torque curves for the 410 and 450.  It showed that they torque curve was essentially the same for the two motors up to 3800 RPM, then the 450 started to show its advantage.   With the 2249 prop, I turn 3800-4000 RPM with a full crew, and ballast (all hard tanks, + 2 80-100% full 550's in the rear) at 10.8mph on good water.   For whatever it is worth, I dont feel very good about running any length of time over 4000 RPM, especially under load.  Having said that there are times when I wish I had the 450 (10+ crew).  But I have never failed to get a good wave even with 12-13 on board (including the dog).  

For my money the wide beam is worth the extra $$, and if you can swing the 450 in the 22VLX, it probably also is worth it. 

We love our 2016 22VLX!  Always plenty of room and we averaged 8-10 people on the weekend! You won’t be disappointed! We are selling our boat this year and looking to upgrade to a 19’...wife finally gave the blessing for a new boat...yeah baby!!  Not sure yet if it will be a 22 or 23 LSV.  

I was in a similar situation at the end of last year and was looking at leftover '18's.

I upgraded from a '10 VLX to a leftover '18 23 LSV.  I have had several VLX's over the years and always wanted a 23 LSV but made do with what I could find in my price range at the time since I had been buying used.  Buying new this time, it was worth the $5-7k increase for the extra room.

Where you will notice the extra room of the 23 will be the floor space if your crew is like mine.  Put a couple Yeti/RTIC/etc 20's in the floor, a few bags, and everyone's lifejackets out and the 21/22 gets cramped fast.  I ran 7-9 people in my VLX occasionally and we made due, but it was a struggle walking around.  The 23 is a lot better, and would love a 25, but don't really want to upgrade trucks.

If you have the towing capacity and storage for the 23, I would go that route if you find one you like.

Good input & I the information is helpful.  I have plenty of truck to pull whatever size (3500 Dodge diesel dually) & plenty of room to store it (40' x 60'  outbuilding).

Edited by 7lazy77

I’ve owned both a 22 VLX and a 23 LSV.  Both are great boats.  However, I do prefer the 23 for the extra room.  Try to sit in each side by side.  To me, the 23 just feels deeper and roomier overall.   Don’t get me wrong, both are amazing and do everything well.

• Like 2

Thanks for your input & I think I decided on & will try to find an LSV.....now the tough part, selling my current boat!  I have already looked at trading it in, but I don't like that option since the trade in value I am being quoted is about $20K less than what it retails for.  I understand that the dealer can't give you retail for it, but then again, I can't lose $20k from retail on it either.  That kind of money might not be much for some, but I just can't afford to.  So I will just try to sell it outright.  Any recommendations?

2 hours ago, 7lazy77 said:

Thanks for your input & I think I decided on & will try to find an LSV.....now the tough part, selling my current boat!  I have already looked at trading it in, but I don't like that option since the trade in value I am being quoted is about $20K less than what it retails for.  I understand that the dealer can't give you retail for it, but then again, I can't lose $20k from retail on it either.  That kind of money might not be much for some, but I just can't afford to.  So I will just try to sell it outright.  Any recommendations?

Hopefully you are OCD like me. My crew likes to good naturedly rag on me about how clean my stuff is. Come resale time everyone is throwing elbows to buy my gear. IME selling a boat is kind of like selling a house. Curb appeal gets them loooking in the door. If everything is working on it like it should, the lack of available nice, clean used boats closes the deal. The hours could be a sticking point for those in the know, but priced right you will make the sale. I was extremly lucky when I sold my ‘10 in January. 1024 hours, but you could eat off the bilge. There were no other earlier models or 1-2 year newer models on sale when mine was that werent stupid money in comparison or nearly half as well taken care of so timing on the sale played a big part for me. My dealer was offering 35K sight unseen. I sold it for 45k, but this I admit was most likely an exception to the norm.

Edited by wdr
Sp