Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MichiganMotorz Remot Oil Filter Kit

hawaiianstyln

Just bought the remote oil filter kit from MichiganMotorz as it said it was for indmar 5.7 (I have the 08 Monsoon 340).  It's much cheaper than BAKES version.  I have a concern as I noticed they sent me a Fram PH8 filter which basically just has a smaller diameter gasket.  If you notice in the picture, the proper NAPA 1069 gasket is on the outer rim of the filter.  They did this as the new remote mount fits the smaller diameter gasket filters.  I don't know if that is an issue changing up oil filters?  If you look on the right, the kit has the oversized ring that threads onto the original filter mount location which the gasket on that ring adapter matches exactly with the proper NAPA 1069.  Technically it all still works, it just appears their remote mount fits a different type of GM filter.  I don't see any issues but curious if any of you did before I tackle this project out.  I know one thing, I'm going to switch out that Fram :lol:

IMG_2693.thumb.jpg.c431081bb7d83c0e869885eba6db39b7.jpgIMG_2694.thumb.jpg.6e5d4d9c36e5d12d5888dfcb5e4e7d01.jpg

Edited by hawaiianstyln

No issue, they just switched to the most common oil filter on earth.   I sure wouldn't waste any money swapping the fram out with something else.  Nothing wrong with Fram filters other than the internet hates them.  The extraguard filters are what I always ran in the jeeps.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Does the FRAM filter # cross over to a NAPA part number?  I would think that NAPA would have a filter that matches the gasket pattern of the FRAM one that they provided.  

4 minutes ago, kylesullens said:

Does the FRAM filter # cross over to a NAPA part number?  I would think that NAPA would have a filter that matches the gasket pattern of the FRAM one that they provided.  

Yes.  A PH8 is literally the most common oil filter in the world

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Fram/PH8A

And Napa1515

Napa rarely shows up on a cross ref chart because they just relable a WIX, fram, purolator, whatever

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

also a reply from Larry @ Indmar via my email inquiry to him

"That different size filter gasket is not an issue. If you don't want to use the Fram filter just find an equivalent filter and you will be good."

Larry  Engelbert

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I sure wouldn't waste any money swapping the fram out with something else.  Nothing wrong with Fram filters other than the internet hates them.  The extraguard filters are what I always ran in the jeeps.

Well then, I will just use it.  I guess I was following the FRAM haters because I thought it was the lower end filter.  I honestly didn't do any research on it, just followed.  Good to know about that brand

Can you take a photo of once you install it -- showing where you place it and if you were able to use a bracket provided or had to make your own?

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, Argonaut said:

Can you take a photo of once you install it -- showing where you place it and if you were able to use a bracket provided or had to make your own?

sure, I can do that now.  Finished the install over the weekend.  Finally pulled the boat out after all the engine work over the winter and buying diacom.  All looked great until I realized on the new oil filter remote kit install, the hose flare (not sure what they are exactly called) connections, one was leaking.  I realized that I didn't get the flare connection seated properly so it began to leak.  Kind of a pain to get it installed I thought as it "Appeared" so simple.

I'm pretty certain that the PH8 Fram filter is from a Ford application - nothing wrong with that; it makes sense to use a very common filter. I've also read that Fram isn't the best filter out there, but it's easy enough to cross reference it to a Wix or a Napa Gold filter if you would rather run one of those in the future. Any parts store should be able to cross reference it for you.

• Like 1

Nice.  Looks a lot easier to get to than the stock 2012 remote filter location.  I might think about adding some sort of heat barrier between the exhaust and that closest hose - or at least make sure it is tied back away from it.

What is that tube coming off the exhaust that looks really close to the filter side?

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Nice.  Looks a lot easier to get to than the stock 2012 remote filter location.  I might think about adding some sort of heat barrier between the exhaust and that closest hose - or at least make sure it is tied back away from it.

What is that tube coming off the exhaust that looks really close to the filter side?

That is the post cat sensor where indmar released a fix due to some issues.  Local dealer in MI wacked them off and did the fix.  I also thought about adding a heat shield as well.  Much like your heat shielding that goes on the roof of an engine hood?  Was going to do some google searches and buy some heat shielding.  I do have the replumb kit I installed over the winter and the risers are super cooled now.  Really not sure it would be an issue, but for grins I should probably smack some heat shielding on it.  I love the location of that filter!

4 hours ago, jmack said:

I'm pretty certain that the PH8 Fram filter is from a Ford application - nothing wrong with that; it makes sense to use a very common filter. I've also read that Fram isn't the best filter out there, but it's easy enough to cross reference it to a Wix or a Napa Gold filter if you would rather run one of those in the future. Any parts store should be able to cross reference it for you.

agreed, I might switch it out on the next change, but since it came with the kit I will keep it.  What sucks is I ordered a 1069 Filter for the old filter mount on the engine but that filter no longer works.  Thought about calling local NAPA and seeing if they would switch me, but since I bought it on Amazon and seems like a waste to "return" a filter and pay for shipping it back.

The reason for the change to the Ford/Chrysler (PH8A) filter is when you install the remote kit, you removed the anti-drain back valve that the original filter screwed to.  The PH8A has it built in.

Also, with that remote filter, you can install a longer filter for more capacity. Like the PH977A.

• Like 3

@hawaiianstyln I like the hoses that are in that MichiganMotorz kit.  They have crimped ends instead of the hose clamps used on some universal kits.

Also, something I've noticed, the oil filter gasket seems to be much more likely to get stuck to an aluminum surface when changing filters than iron.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, MadMan said:

@hawaiianstyln I like the hoses that are in that MichiganMotorz kit.  They have crimped ends instead of the hose clamps used on some universal kits.

Also, something I've noticed, the oil filter gasket seems to be much more likely to get stuck to an aluminum surface when changing filters than iron.

hmmmm never thought about that until you mentioned it.  Damn good point!  The only issue I had with the hoses being crimped and how the person that made them:  If you lay the hose down on one side, the 90 degree would be facing straight up.  However, the other end maybe facing parallel South.  Well, what happens in my situation where my mount required the hose connection to face 90 degrees down, route under the engine and screw into the filter engine adapter that need to be facing straight up North.  By the time I screwed both hoses into the filter side and routed the hoses to the engine filter, they wanted to face an opposite direction of how they needed to be screwed in.  I had to really tweak and pull on them considering the hose is nearly indestructible nor capable of twisting, just to screw them up into the engine filter mount side.

Hope that I explained that well, but I didn't have the option to just mount this anywhere considering the hoses were clamped a certain way and would only bend a certain way.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job!

I cant find this anywhere on the internet now..I know Bakes has one but $300 is ridiculous..i see some custom aftermarket around 100 online but not sure it works for a boat.. very nice upgrade for sure i like the ease of change as well as better surface area filter..

Ill be doing research and do this at my next oil change if i can find the kit at reasonable price..

26 minutes ago, thebill said:

Nice job!

I cant find this anywhere on the internet now..I know Bakes has one but $300 is ridiculous..i see some custom aftermarket around 100 online but not sure it works for a boat.. very nice upgrade for sure i like the ease of change as well as better surface area filter..

Ill be doing research and do this at my next oil change if i can find the kit at reasonable price..

Thanks!  Hey I would call MichiganMotorz.com today and ask them where it went because someone else on the FaceBook Malibu owner page was asking me where it went as well (just last night).  It was $199 (tax and shipping another $20-ish) and the item was "Remote Oil Filter Kit - 5.0L & 5.7L" item# 297

5 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Thanks!  Hey I would call MichiganMotorz.com today and ask them where it went because someone else on the FaceBook Malibu owner page was asking me where it went as well (just last night).  It was $199 (tax and shipping another $20-ish) and the item was "Remote Oil Filter Kit - 5.0L & 5.7L" item# 297

well that was me discussing that with you on FB but others are now interested..maybe group buy is in order lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

update and warning:

First, the remote oil filter kit works great.  However, as I mounted it directly to the engine compartment frame, that thing heats up (the frame).  Not sure how hot the oil gets but that area of the frame was pretty damn warm.  Second, something my idiotic noodle above didn't think about when I installed it there, my tray doesn't sit back down over the top of the engine (for storing ropes, etc...).  I would actually have to cut the corner out where that filter is if I wanted to use the tray again.

My dilemma is that I really like the location of that filter, but liked that storage tray I had.  I'm going to either have to cut and fabricate that ABS plastic tray for storing my ropes and other things.  OR deal without having it.  :(

If that frame heating up could be an issue (if any of you think it is), then maybe I just need to move the remote filter kit all together. 

Edited by hawaiianstyln
7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Can you just use a piece of bar stock and drop the filter mount down enough to fit the tray? Would it clear the muffler? 

good thought, but I looked last night and it won't clear the muffler/Riser.  I also thought maybe I get some HPDE, bolt it to the very middle back Fiberglass and mount it to HPDE as I could drop it down there.  Sitting directly above the middle of the muffler.  I think that HPDE would be okay for heat and wouldn't transfer heat to fiberglass?