Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Who has their boat out of winter storage?!

ahopkins22LSV

Brought the boat home last night and literally missed a deer by 2 ft, my dad was driving the deer came out at last second, swerving(I know I know bad idea) missed it by a hair. Within the next 2km we honestly felt like the deer were out to get us, they were everything. Lol

Polished it all day today. Finish up with a cost of sealant and some other stuff tomorrow. Hopefully to hit the water after that! Not bad for Canada

• Like 3

glad you made it home safe.  Dude there's still 2ft of ice on the lakes in alberta- people still driving their 1 tons on them for ice fishing.

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Brought the boat home last night and literally missed a deer by 2 ft, my dad was driving the deer came out at last second, swerving(I know I know bad idea) missed it by a hair. Within the next 2km we honestly felt like the deer were out to get us, they were everything. Lol

Polished it all day today. Finish up with a cost of sealant and some other stuff tomorrow. Hopefully to hit the water after that! Not bad for Canada

• Like 3
16 hours ago, kayt425 said:

Oh no!  That is actually really depressing.  We have been hammered up here with snow and i know central/southern utah have had a strong winter too.  So if that doesn't even make a dent in the water level, Powell is in for some serious problems in the future.  I hope they can keep the cut open at least.

The cut will be open.  The lake will probably go up 40 feet or more, depending on how it goes and what they decide to let down to Lake Mead, it won't be much higher than last year. 

It is amazing what 60,000 cubic feet of water per second can do to a lake.  

These graphs are cool to geek out over: http://graphs.water-data.com/lakepowell/  Notice how it went up about 40 feet in 2017.  Many of us don't realize how much it fluctuates.  The snowpack reaches its deepest about April 15 at the high elevations where the majority of the runoff comes from.  So we need to be way above normal on that day to know we are for sure having a good year.  

Our snowpack in Southern Utah is more than double the average right now.  

Ours is still sleeping in the shop for another week. We will break it out of jail next weekend and pull it 2.5 hours to the lake the weekend of the 6th. I will probably wetsuit up and ride that weekend if the weather is decent. On the lift for the season after that just waiting for warmer water/weather. Should be able to ride with my full length wetsuit no problem. 

On 3/22/2019 at 5:30 PM, Steve B. said:

Wow, keep us posted how it goes when you do get it in.

Steve B.

Will do! 100 hour service is done and all looks pretty good.

Replacing the battery and wiring/adding a kill switch

Replacing the fuel pump.

Replace speedo tubes

First trip is April 14th!!

On 3/23/2019 at 9:38 AM, TallRedRider said:

The cut will be open.  The lake will probably go up 40 feet or more, depending on how it goes and what they decide to let down to Lake Mead, it won't be much higher than last year. 

It is amazing what 60,000 cubic feet of water per second can do to a lake.  

These graphs are cool to geek out over: http://graphs.water-data.com/lakepowell/  Notice how it went up about 40 feet in 2017.  Many of us don't realize how much it fluctuates.  The snowpack reaches its deepest about April 15 at the high elevations where the majority of the runoff comes from.  So we need to be way above normal on that day to know we are for sure having a good year.  

Our snowpack in Southern Utah is more than double the average right now.  

Can I show you what that did to our area... at 79,000 cfs... The river did break banks before the release, but only minor flooding until they almost opened gates fully:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Harvey-s-Niagara-Moment-Lake-Conroe-dam-releases-12272868.php

They did the same in 94... and just for a little insight.. The river authority for  Lake Conroe states that this lake is not managed to litigate flood waters or for irrigation... Only for water retention for water supply... In other words, instead of planning for flood events, they will retain as releasing water is basically throwing $$$ down the drain... We fought this in 94, Tax day floods, some others I don't remember and Harvey... After thorough  investigations, they have found them guilty of this and State has ordered them to provide flood management of the lake and river system.

Edited by kerpluxal

heated garage, so it often comes out of the garage when it's decent out through the winter to start her up.  Saturday she got in about 30 minutes on the trailer and is happy so far

Temps here have been great and really should have already kicked off my season.  I have been knocking out the "honey-do list" and haven't been able to bring the boat home to clean it up from storage. Right now the cover is coated in 1-2" of pollen, once my sinuses clear up and the lakes loose the yellow tint, I will clean it up and hit the water.

I get the boat from storage next week, but I can't put it in the water yet because TVA hasn't raised the water level at Chickamauga Lake yet. I have about 1 foot of water at my dock, and still no lift anyway. It will give me a few days to wash and wax. This will be our first season living on the water, and we can't hardly wait any more! We're seeing a lot of 60 deg days, with some 70's sprinkled in, and no boat!

We had crazy rains this winter, with flooding the area hasn't seen in 15 years. Water rose 6.5' in 2 days, and covered my dock. TVA was releasing a million gallons of water per minute through Chickamauga Dam. 

• Like 1

I saw open water on our lake last night, probably close to 100%.  Spring break is next week and I'm taking the week off, hopefully there will be a decent day or two that I can get some polishing done and the dock/lift installed.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:03 PM, asp13 said:

Throw on a wetsuit! Also what are you using to tow?

Tomorrow we will!! Steamer haha

I use a Kia Sorento 3.5 V6

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got my boat out yesterday.  The drive from Grand Rapids, MI to Coloma, MI is one of the worst while having to tow.  I96 seems to be getting fixed but that is one of the worst highways.  The entire road has potholes almost the entire way.  If there weren’t current potholes, they are holes that have been fixed way too many times.  Either way, we and the boat made it in one piece. Took the boat to my wife’s parents house and installed a ProSport battery charger.  Ready to drop the boat in next weekend (weather permitting).

B18EB765-F700-44C9-998F-C07455BE8413.thumb.jpeg.8f88844ef9e9b7968130e441d85a5dad.jpeg

• Like 3

Drove to MN on Friday and pulled the boat out of my brothers lake house garage where it has been stored every winter since I got it. This was the last winter stored there. The lake house is being sold. It was a bittersweet trip this year. Glad to have the boat back home and just a few things to do to prep for the season. If anyone knows of a free heated garage to store my boat in for the winter let me know!;)