Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Bow Strap.... Option??

gregtay

ahopkins22LSV
30 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The Cabela's ones are made by Indiana Mills and Manufacturing - the same outfit that has been making them for decades and used on Boatmate and Elite trailers and marketed as "BoatBuckle" (tm).  They probably slap a little plastic doohickey that says Malibu on it and you pay accordingly.  But since they are patented, if Malibu is not using them, they would be selling a knockoff and I doubt that.  We saw this with the Techniq underwater lights although in that case of mfg. markup I can kinda see it - I would not want to install those transom lights after the boat is delivered.

They are using the ones that OJ stated.

5 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Ok well that proves my point. 129/155 is 17% off msrp. That is on the low end of the “typical” standard percent off msrp for Malibu. 

Those Starbrite Sta-puts are $72/pair.  You can do the math.

ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Those Starbrite Sta-puts are $72/pair.  You can do the math.

You continue to compare apples to oranges and make invalid statements. The cheap ones are not stainless steel and not the ones Malibu uses.

Here is the SS Option. You do the math. Hint, its even closer to Malibu's price than the other brand that OJ from on Cabela's. Further proving my point.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Heavy-Retractable-Tie-down/dp/B002FVSBXU

1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

You continue to compare apples to oranges and make invalid statements. The cheap ones are not stainless steel and not the ones Malibu uses.

Here is the SS Option. You do the math. Hint, its even closer to Malibu's price than the other brand that OJ from on Cabela's. Further proving my point.

I don't know which one Malibu uses now, but the ones on my boatmate are the non stainless steel.  The stainless ones have a lower load rating than the regular steel version.

In any event it isn't exactly a surprise that you can buy them for less on your own.  It's like buying accessories from the car dealer when you buy your new truck - you are paying for convenience, not because it is a good deal.

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I don't know which one Malibu uses now, but the ones on my boatmate are the non stainless steel.  The stainless ones have a lower load rating than the regular steel version.

In any event it isn't exactly a surprise that you can buy them for less on your own.  It's like buying accessories from the car dealer when you buy your new truck - you are paying for convenience, not because it is a good deal.

I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.... took this picture 30 seconds ago. Sorry I didn’t realize yours are not SS. Regardless of load rating, the fact is people were, once again complaining about price, but once again making an invalid argument because they aren’t comparing to what Malibu is actually using. You could actually end up paying less for these from the factory than off Amazon depending on your % off msrp...

3CEEB3E0-76E3-44CA-99FF-06D39BCB61E1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I feel like I’m in the twilight zone.... took this picture 30 seconds ago. Sorry I didn’t realize yours are not SS. Regardless of load rating, the fact is people were, once again complaining about price, but once again making an invalid argument because they aren’t comparing to what Malibu is actually using. You could actually end up paying less for these from the factory than off Amazon depending on your % off msrp...

Honestly I don't know if there is any guaranteed way to tell if they are or are not stainless (unless there is a part number on them)  since those look like the ones I have - although your hook looks more like stainless to me - mine looks like chrome.  I'm just going by what boatmate lists as the replacement pieces - or maybe they just sell the stainless at a really good price ($92)

https://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=99

In any event - doesn't really matter, they have been working without issue for 8 years of trailer boating so far.

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Honestly I don't know if there is any guaranteed way to tell if they are or are not stainless (unless there is a part number on them)  since those look like the ones I have - although your hook looks more like stainless to me - mine looks like chrome.  I'm just going by what boatmate lists as the replacement pieces - or maybe they just sell the stainless at a really good price ($92)

https://www.boatmateparts.com/product_details.php?itmId=99

In any event - doesn't really matter, they have been working without issue for 8 years of trailer boating so far.

Malibu says they are SS. Are they pulling a fast one on everyone? IDK maybe... I am sure someone feels this way. However Star Brite shows 2 options on their website. SS and coated. I am not a metallurgist but I know these are 100% not coated. 

2 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Malibu says they are SS. Are they pulling a fast one on everyone? IDK maybe... I am sure someone feels this way. However Star Brite shows 2 options on their website. SS and coated. I am not a metallurgist but I know these are 100% not coated. 

I have no doubt the ones they say are stainless on your trailer would be stainless.  Just saying that in 2012 when boatmate was making them that they might have been using the other ones.  There is nothing on my invoice that says one way or the other - just a single line item for a boatmate trailer with brakes on both axles.

Edit - apparently we are both super bored today ;)

Edited by oldjeep
On 7/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Idk which one is better but this forum just cost me another $136 plus tax 

someone smashed one of mine last weekend

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2
On 7/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

(Too bad there isn't a Crayola font...)  https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/boatbuckle-retractable-tie-down-system?lcab.rdr=TRUE is $95 USD/pair.    Math is difficult (inside Canadian joke...)  And AGAIN, they are all the same since https://www.imminet.com/about-us/ owns the patent.  Unless you are suggesting Malibu is selling cheap Chinese knock-offs.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

(Too bad there isn't a Crayola font...)  https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/boatbuckle-retractable-tie-down-system?lcab.rdr=TRUE is $95 USD/pair.    Math is difficult (inside Canadian joke...)  And AGAIN, they are all the same since https://www.imminet.com/about-us/ owns the patent.  Unless you are suggesting Malibu is selling cheap Chinese knock-offs.

These are still not stainless steel. When you select the stainless option it’s 129.99. Do you read the whole post or just go straight to the google machine? I have also owned both. I can tell you 100% that the ones Malibu uses are nicer. Believe what you want...

B4674B34-61F6-49FB-B947-EA86159B2F6A.jpeg

9 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

These are still not stainless steel. When you select the stainless option it’s 129.99. Do you read the whole post or just go straight to the google machine? I have also owned both. I can tell you 100% that the ones Malibu uses are nicer. Believe what you want...

B4674B34-61F6-49FB-B947-EA86159B2F6A.jpeg

Ya just don't get it do yan man?  Those are Canuck prices.  That is $129.99 CAD or 95 USD.  Happy 4th!  LOL

ahopkins22LSV
10 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Ya just don't get it do yan man?  Those are Canuck prices.  That is $129.99 CAD or 95 USD.  Happy 4th!  LOL

No you don’t get it dude. It’s 100% us prices. I have my local cabelas selected, which the last time I checked was in Michigan which means is in the United States.

My home button isn’t working so the screen capture sucks but here is the car with instore Michigan pickup.

54D262AD-1130-44BC-8FE0-7487C0B78DEC.thumb.jpeg.f76446e669e294f57936f7189c0c7263.jpeg

You are amazing.  I give you my local  cost and you  perturbate it to match your argument.  You a Trump supporter or something? LOL  I can get those SS  straps all day, all week  for less.  

ahopkins22LSV
41 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You are amazing.  I give you my local  cost and you  perturbate it to match your argument.  You a Trump supporter or something? LOL  I can get those SS  straps all day, all week  for less.  

No I didn’t. I literally clicked on your link and the location changes. The straps in the US cost 129. Which is supporting my point this entire time. You say they are made by the same parent company. Great that doesn’t change the fact that the straps Malibu uses are different, and better, which we linked to amazon, for 139, US cost. Spin it how ever you want. Your argument VS Malibu msrp is wrong. Bring political insults into this again and you will be taking a vacation from here. 

• Like 2

FWIW, I got the p/n, 6855009, for the Malibu Bow Safety Strap and sourced it from Bake’s (Malibu wouldn’t sell it directly to me and local dealer said they couldn’t get the p/n to pull up). The strap was only $20 but it has to be drop shipped from Malibu and that tacks another $10 to the shipping charge. I’m sure there are less expensive options available as have been presented in the thread but this was the solution I was wanting.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Ok so have I been using the wrong hook location for my rear strap downs? I’m not hooking them where you are but rather through the slotted hole behind. 

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Ok so have I been using the wrong hook location for my rear strap downs? I’m not hooking them where you are but rather through the slotted hole behind. 

I’m sure either location is ok. 

On 7/9/2020 at 11:25 PM, 2020LSV23 said:

@ahopkinsVTX is right... I’ve used both locations, and my boat has yet to fall off my trailer. :cheers:

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 7/9/2020 at 8:48 PM, lapapermaker said:

FWIW, I got the p/n, 6855009, for the Malibu Bow Safety Strap and sourced it from Bake’s (Malibu wouldn’t sell it directly to me and local dealer said they couldn’t get the p/n to pull up). The strap was only $20 but it has to be drop shipped from Malibu and that tacks another $10 to the shipping charge. I’m sure there are less expensive options available as have been presented in the thread but this was the solution I was wanting.

My 18 trailer didn’t come with the welded on safety loop so I fabricated a bolt on plate using 3/8” stock. Appreciate the lead on the factory Malibu safety strap! Bakes had it drop shipped in 3 days. 

93A05D18-3CB4-443E-B952-6064DC74ED87.jpeg

77346CB2-B2EE-4EEE-8BAE-0ED85F24DA25.jpeg

4D987A8E-07C6-432C-8570-62D1DDB47E08.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
13 hours ago, lonestar said:

@german88

@lapapermaker

Can one of you tell me the length of that bow safety strap?

Just over 13.5" 

IMG_2570[1].JPG

Edited by german88