Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Bow Strap.... Option??

gregtay

Quick question, when we ordered out boat there was an option for a "bow hold down strap" which I asked about.. thinking that this couldn't possible be the emergency strap that clips to the bow eyelet. My dealer wasn't sure what it was but said don't worry their is a strap with the trailer so we didn't check it but now I am a little concerned that might now be the case. I can't imagine this is an "option" on a 100k+ boat but then again this is Malibu and maybe it is one of those boxes you are just suppose to check.

Can anyone confirm that there is actually an fixed strap near the winch on the trailer? thx.

ah.. got it. Thanks for clarifying.  I really with Malibu have a book they gave their dealers with a bit more detail on each option (and maybe a photo!).. or just some notes in the ordering tool.

I thought it was standard to have a strap besides the winch strap.  Unfortunately it seems very difficult to find out if it would actually help in an accident.  I think it would help in a medium speed and low speed collision.  In a high speed situation, the boat will go where its momentum takes it.  

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Your lucky if it comes with transom straps. Mine didn’t and dealer said not needed. They don’t order with them. Mine had them now. 

Transom straps are also an option. 

I wouldn’t tow without both transom and bow safety straps. Very low cost to use, very high cost if something goes wrong and you don’t have them. Worth it.

i can’t believe any dealer would say they are an “option”

Score 1 for my dealer - transom and bow strap was ordered with no questions.   I can’t beleive there is still a mindset they aren’t needed or why they are even an option you have to check.  

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Transom straps are also an option. 

Not to hijack. Are these weld on or bolt on? Since I have to do some work on my trailer. Figured I'd add these. Brand? 

https://www.etrailer.com/Tie-Down-Straps/BoatBuckle/IMF08893.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwj9LkBRDnARIsAGQ-hUeE_2xyNgv-RFpNi4P6eT-NrZ7fV7YlSHxMV-ucZBGGE3RZNsOJZ0oaAifuEALw_wcB#/

Bolt on for the self retracting ratcheting type. They also make the typical atv type straps if you want to go that route. The eyes should already be welded on the trailer to be able to go with either option.

1 minute ago, wdr said:

I had to buy and bolt them on my ‘10 BM trailer as well. 

Actually looking at some pics, my eye is way up by the rubrail. There isn't an U bolt anywhere near the trailer or under the swim platform. But if you did it on your '10, where did you connect to? 

If it is a Boat Mate trailer which I would bet on, then the tang with a hole for the ratcheting straps are welded on the bottom of the trailer frame, in the corner where the inner side of the vertical "A" frame beams meet the rear cross beam. They are kind of hiding in plain sight if you aren't specifically looking for or at them.

4 minutes ago, wdr said:

If it is a Boat Mate trailer which I would bet on, then the tang with a hole for the ratcheting straps are welded on the bottom of the trailer frame, in the corner where the inner side of the vertical "A" frame beams meet the rear cross beam. They are kind of hiding in plain sight if you aren't specifically looking for or at them.

Nah it's an Eagle. And a POS one at that..... 

I just looked at some old photos. There IS an eyelet on the top of the main bar. So I guess I'd just use normal straps. I like the integrated ones, because I'll lose them! lol 

Man that is a REALLY nice trailer. This Eagle is junk. 

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by Ryan1776
Just now, wdr said:

If there is a hole, you can most likely bolt on a set of ratcheting ones. Might have to make the hole bigger, but no big deal.

No hole. Just an eyelet tab welded on. But I have a drill. 

Our bow safety strap goes on before the boat comes up the ramp.  We have steep ramps and I have seen hand winch failures.  I’m sure it’s rare but still can happen, not to mention the human element of the hand winch.  

6 minutes ago, ID AX said:

Our bow safety strap goes on before the boat comes up the ramp.  We have steep ramps and I have seen hand winch failures.  I’m sure it’s rare but still can happen, not to mention the human element of the hand winch.  

Not to mention, other than the guide poles the winch strap is the most abused thing on a trailer.

1 minute ago, jwl019 said:

I ordered this for my '18 LSV for the bow safety cable since mine did not have one, I did have the transom straps:

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/products/18-bow-safety-trailer-cable-with-spring-loaded-latch-hook-ptc-7000-18-18s

I use a chain setup that is similar to that.  Don't care for the cables since I always seem to figure out a way to stab myself with a stray wire.