Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fender size 23 ft boat

JoeMama

Hi ,
I was wondering what people used for Cylindrical fender size for 23 ft  boat? 6.5 inch diameter or 8 inch? Seems it could be either.

Also, what length?

Thanks,
JoeMama

I originally bought the 6.5" fenders but went to 8".  I saw others mention it too...if it's just light duty (not bad waves/winds, etc.) then the 6" works OK, but my first time on a bigger lake I immediately knew I was undersized.  I switched to the 8" and also added midship cleats so I could have 3 per side.

Depending on your needs, I rarely use traditional type fenders anymore and solely rely on the Exile balls (or BABz or whatever your preference is).    I keep the deflated on the boat so they take up very little room.  

I use all of the above, a few 8,6 and blow up style Exile one's each has its own uses. I primarily use the 8" with a strap around the tower for dock tie ups, done right and in calm water that is the only bumper you need. The blow up Exile style are great for tying up multiple boats and don't take up much room..

Yeah, side note on the larger BABZ or Exile style round "fenders", I've found that for tieups these will give you additional clearance from tower racks where traditional fenders won't give you near as much separation, but YMMV.

Correction use smaller Fenders.  

Currently using the Taylor Made Products 41022 Hull Gard Inflatable Vinyl Boat Fender, 5.5 x 20 inch, Blue.   Works well for us when tying up to the dock for loading and unloading.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MJMOTY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also use the Fender Boot over the fender.  "Knit fabric hugs the fender for a close fit and the smooth polyester fabric resists picking up dirt and grit. The neoprene sewn into the hem keeps the boot on your fender."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MJHJBM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the houseboat tie up or hanging out tie up to other boats I use the BABz Boat Fender.  Bought these from a group by off The Malibu Crew a year ago.  

https://www.amazon.com/BABz-Boat-Fender/dp/B079QBH1YY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=babz&qid=1553548977&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1-catcorr  

Edited by ORMailbuboater