Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Michigan HB 4362 - limited vessel operating hours

ronixride

12 minutes ago, SkiSam said:

That bill passing would kill off most of the skiing on our lake.
I'd say 70% of the skiing is before 9am, everyone gets a set in before heading to work, unless they're retired.

If what's floating on FB is true, sliding in the Wisconsin spotter bill in some way would be nice. Even the wakesurfers would be on board with it :biggrin:

It's the same here.  Usually on the water by 5:45 during the week.  Weekends we wait until 6:30.  I agree.  It will certainly hurt skiing on our lake.

Just now, inlandlaker said:

It's the same here.  Usually on the water by 5:45 during the week.  Weekends we wait until 6:30.  I agree.  It will certainly hurt skiing on our lake.

I started work at 8 or 9 but would still get up at 5:45 to go ski before my Dad went to work. Hoping what's on FB is true, if a rewrite is in the works then it's massively important to get our thoughts to our reps.

ahopkins22LSV
11 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

If I was in Michigan,  I would be all over this. I would not trust something “floating around on Facebook”. To me that seems like an effort to stall the general public so that the bill gets voted in. 

Keep in mind,  I live in California. They sneak this stuff in all the time out here. Or just sign it into law without a vote. 

It was posted by multiple people on multiple different community groups from different areas of the state. Unless it’s just being copy and pasted. And trust me I’m all over it as well as others. We ski at 5:30-6am during the summer. 

6 hours ago, SkiSam said:

That bill passing would kill off most of the skiing on our lake.
I'd say 70% of the skiing is before 9am, everyone gets a set in before heading to work, unless they're retired.

If what's floating on FB is true, sliding in the Wisconsin spotter bill in some way would be nice. Even the wakesurfers would be on board with it :biggrin:

I know, same here. If the representative is rewriting it then I think we should see what he comes up with. I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to him changing the lakes that at no wake from early evening to late morning. A lake we visit frequently up north is like this. 

As I said earlier. Good luck enforcing it. At least around me. Especially for you morning guys. I think it would effect the sunset to later crew that just want to hang out an putz around the lake. 

The glass skiers at 6am.....I wouldn't expect you to be bothered too much by it. Not much police activity on the lakes that early. And nothing on the weekdays. 

I'm with @SkiSam if this guy is all about HELPING us, then getting the spotter, or removal of the spotter law on the books would be great! 

Edited by Ryan1776
6 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

As I said earlier. Good luck enforcing it. At least around me. Especially for you morning guys. I think it would effect the sunset to later crew that just want to hang out an putz around the lake. 

The glass skiers at 6am.....I wouldn't expect you to be bothered too much by it. Not much police activity on the lakes that early. And nothing on the weekdays. 

I'm with @SkiSam if this guy is all about HELPING us, then getting the spotter, or removal of the spotter law on the books would be great! 

I agree.  On my lake this would effect the after dark cruisers more than the early risers.  I think we had DNR on our lake 3 times at most last year.  There were two on jet skis and they literally went boat to boat hurrying up and stopping boats and checking for proper licensing, registration and fire extinguisher and then on to the next boat.  They hurried up and did that and then got off the lake.  Each time I saw them it was usually late morning/early afternoon.  I would think the only way they might bother an early skier is if there are multiple complaints, and that would probably be pushing it. 
I am all for the removal of the spotter law. 

Might just be a local thing in Georgia, but we have tons of people out fishing on the lake in the evening and even after dark (crappie and catfish fishing mostly).  Weekend mornings at around 6 am, we have the fishing boat races as they (apparently) chase the really fast fish from one end of the lake to the other.  If you are looking for allies in fighting this, don't ignore the possibility of involving the fishermen, as there are a lot of them.

4 minutes ago, malibudog said:

we have the fishing boat races as they (apparently) chase the really fast fish from one end of the lake to the other.

:rofl: I laughed too hard at this. My dad sells Tracker Fishing boats......and he knows his stuff, but doesn't fish. He always tell them he's out early too. They ask him what he likes to fish, he just says, "Oh I don't fish, I use you fisherman as a slalom course." 
Good point though, on getting the fisherman in on it. 

Edited by Ryan1776
10 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Guys before we go after the whole kitchen sink (spotter law or whatever else) I’d suggest focusing on making sure this current bill gets straightened out. One bite at a time. 

No arguments there. But if it's as the FB messages say it is, he's not trying to limit boating, he's trying to increase it. That would be a good way to do it. 

So I just took a quick look and it appears the bill is not what we are seeing as it was not worded correctly. So with that I want to know what they do want. But I could see moving from our lake house. It makes no seance to me to live on a lake if I can't use it. I can't see this passing in our state. Boating and lake living is a big part of Michigan. This is more politicians doing thing's for us that don't make any sense for the majority of the people who use our lakes. I ski early put the boat away. We take the pontoon out later in the day most often. I have little concern running around with the mid day crowds. I sit on the porch and watch the show!   But we are still working on getting water back in our lake. So may be I won't need to worry about this yet.  

33 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

Man this is brutal, good luck all! I have had some great times on the lake after dark. Especially before having a kid when we were on our own schedule!

And even after kids as Empty Nesters!  What is life on the water without an occasional moonlight run. The local lakes are all no wake dusk to dawn. However, the delta has no after dark speed limits.

1 hour ago, Sparky450 said:

And even after kids as Empty Nesters!  What is life on the water without an occasional moonlight run. The local lakes are all no wake dusk to dawn. However, the delta has no after dark speed limits.

I don't think Michigan has a no wake law after dark, but they do have a 10 mph speed limit.

If this is in committee it could be shot down long before it ever gets to a vote.  I would only hope the others on the committee will see the issues this as a bill offers Michigan. Michigan is one of the biggest boating states in the country. Might be time to start contacting our representatives. Living on a lake we do 90% of our boating starting at sun rise to 11:30 am and  6 to 12:00 pm I would very much consider leaving lake living if I could not enjoy our lake at will! We have an awful lot into this house but it would not be special if we could not enjoy the lake. I have been involved for 13 years working on keeping our lake's. We lost ours last year. we are getting close to buying all four lakes in the chain to keep them open to public use and lakes for that matter. The Dam owner lost his license on our lake last year and the other three lakes are in extrema danger now! Just what I need another issue. :mad::rant::Frustrated:    Might be coming to a time to build at the north cabin.

Not sure if anybody else heard this, but my wife heard that this HB 4362 proposal in Michigan was dropped. She saw this posted on our lake’s Facebook page.

The original appears to be dead, it sounds as though it will be re written to capture the original intent.  Worth keeping track to ensure Michigan boaters don't become restricted.

• Like 3

Good news on all this is, that initial proposal brought so much bad press and negative reviews, whatever they write next will be scrutinized even more. 

ahopkins22LSV

I would support something that would broaden the regulations in lakes that have a no wake rule from 7pm to 11am or similar but I think the majority of those are set by the lake association. I vacation to a lake like that frequently and it’s not really the end of the world as you can still go for a cruise, just can’t make a wake. 

This lake that I go to is very long and narrow with a popular camp ground for families. I actually get the ruling, but I wouldn’t complain about being able to take a early morning ski set either.