Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ignition Tune Up -'13 VTX w/ 350 Monsoon

truckjunky87

Getting ready for warmer weather and doing a ignition tune up.

Already replaced spark plugs and will do wires, cap and rotor next.  Should be straight forward but looking at the distributor cap it looks like there is no room to get it pass the air intake.  Maybe there's more than I realize but it looks tight.

Before I dive in this weekend any general tips on replacing the cap & rotor?

22 hours ago, truckjunky87 said:

Getting ready for warmer weather and doing a ignition tune up.

Already replaced spark plugs and will do wires, cap and rotor next.  Should be straight forward but looking at the distributor cap it looks like there is no room to get it pass the air intake.  Maybe there's more than I realize but it looks tight.

Before I dive in this weekend any general tips on replacing the cap & rotor?

You have to remove the intake plenum - or at least unbolt it and slide it to the side.  I've got some pictures somewhere of the process after I asked the same question a couple years ago.  You remove all 6 or 8 of those allen head bolts that you can see on the top of the intake plenum.  And if you want to take it all the way off then there is an electrical connector on the throttle body

Edited by oldjeep

Thanks. I unbolted it and slid it out of the way. Not much to it. I think I found my misfire issue. 

I bought the boat last fall and I don't think the previous owner used it much that year. Anyways, new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs so it should run much better now. 

1553278400823_image1.jpeg.c1fa724a43c7a4cc41830017769c2133.jpeg