Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone have a good electric air pump recomendation for the boat?

Fish209

I plan on surfing my (new to me) 2009 VLX mostly, but we will have some smaller kids with us from time to time so we will also be doing some tubing. I'd like to be able to inflate/deflate the tube relatively quickly while out on the water. I also might get other inflatables (inflatable water mat) in the future as well.

Things of importance:

- Needs to be able to plug into cigarette adapter, or directly to battery

- Can't be too big. Should be easy to use while out on the water

- Relatively quick to inflate/deflate

- Relatively quite while in use

The $15-$20 ones I have tried in the past aren't that great, but I'm not looking to spend in the hundreds. Is there something good up to the $50 price range (slightly more if needed)? There's a ton available on Amazon, but most have mixed reviews. Has anyone found a good one they'd recommend?

THANKS!!!

I have had a succession of pick a reason, short lived air mattresses. The one thing that has continued to work from them has been the Coleman 12v air pump that came with one of the them. Good volume, low pressure and it sucks out the air as well so I can get the toys down to OEM configuration. I did have to rig a short length of hose to attach the assorted fill and drain nipples that we use. I also have an outstanding 12v rechargeable flood light from Black and Decker. Best thing on that is it can be used from dead if it is plugged in so it is always available.

This is what we keep on the boat.  I like that it's AC or DC.  Since we bought the first one, we now keep the one in the boat, keep one back by the pool for rafts and have one in our camping/hunting bins for air mattresses.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Recreation-Corp-Quick-Fill-AC-DC-Electric-Air-Pump/52810165

We use one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Rechargeable-QuickPump-Unit/dp/B00005JD40/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1FAPBHY59F4PF&keywords=coleman+rechargeable+air+pump&qid=1553302385&s=gateway&sprefix=Coleman+rec%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-4

rechargeable.....  no plugs needed on the boat.  Charge certainly lasts for multiple inflations.  Gone are the days of the 12v plug....  it is faster than any 12v we have had in the past.  

I have a generic version that looks identical to the green O'Brien pump linked on Amazon.  It does the job, it was like $10 at Farm and Fleet so I'm happy with it.  Takes about 5 minutes to fully inflate a one person tube.  I had a rechargeable and I liked it until the battery took a dump.  It wouldn't charge and wouldn't run off the cigarette lighter.  That one was only $20 at Farm and Fleet.  Still cheap enough that you don't feel bad about throwing it away.   

Here’s what I use.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Compact-Blower-Tool-Only-0884-20/204834633

Being a contractor, I’m already so invested into the Milwaukee cordless system so this was an easy decision for me.  Comes with a few different fittings to work with about any type of inflatable valve.  It’s really small and I think it works great.

1 hour ago, Fish209 said:

Anyone have any experience with this one: Airhead High Pressure Air Pump 12V?

Alligator clips for the battery. Does this mean more power than a cigarette adapter...meaning it will likely inflate/deflate quicker?

I have that one in the AC version.  It works great to blow up air mattresses.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000017848-Parent-QuickPump/dp/B00N6XBIP4/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=12v+air+pump&qid=1553396880&s=gateway&sr=8-14

This one has worked great for us and it’s cheap. Used to have one that connected to the battery on a prior boat. With the batteries now in the bow we wanted to find one that connected to the cigarette lighter for convenience. The Coleman works just as well if not better.

5 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Alligator clips for the battery. Does this mean more power than a cigarette adapter...meaning it will likely inflate/deflate quicker?

This is the one I use for our mission reef mat.  The new battery location in the bow makes the clips a good option and seems more powerfull than the plug adapter ones I've  used. 

Thanks vanamp. How is that Mission reef mat? I'm also kicking the idea around of getting some type of water mat. There's a ton to choose from ranging in price and quality.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:09 PM, Fish209 said:

Yes it works well .... good pressure for towable. Will reverse to deflate as well. 

1 minute ago, jtrezon said:

Yes it works well .... good pressure for towable. Will reverse to deflate as well. 

Only complaint is it is screaming loud. 

4 hours ago, Fish209 said:

Thanks vanamp. How is that Mission reef mat? I'm also kicking the idea around of getting some type of water mat. There's a ton to choose from ranging in price and quality.

I have the big (not the biggest) mat thats roughly 7' x 13'.  Setup and tear down from the boat is a bit of a pain due to the size.  I fill it with the 12v pump but finish it off with the included hand pump to get good pressure.  The hassle is definitely worth it though.  Kids like it A LOT more that any of the other foam pads or cheaper inflatables.  Adults can comfortably hangout on it while kids go nuts jumping on/off without any issues.  Its almost like a soft portable floating dock.  Mission is local to me and are at all of the surf events we go to so we had plenty of time to try them out before we bought one.  Its definitely the best option but they are expensive.