Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21VLX - Looks awesome!

geroyk

Well I walked through the 2019 A22 today...wow.

I still think the 21VLX is a beauty, but I don't have size constraints and can get the A22 for less.

Decisions decisions....thanks for the help!

ahopkins22LSV

Sounds like you are at a great point in this decision. You love two boats so it just comes down to a pro/con list or a really like/like list. What checks more boxes for you and your family? Both boats are going to perform great so which one do you like more? Styling, options, bigger bow, colors, price, tower style, etc. I’d just sit down and go through each side by side and choose the one you like better!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Sounds like you are at a great point in this decision. You love two boats so it just comes down to a pro/con list or a really like/like list. What checks more boxes for you and your family? Both boats are going to perform great so which one do you like more? Styling, options, bigger bow, colors, price, tower style, etc. I’d just sit down and go through each side by side and choose the one you like better!

^this^

Also make sure you put momma in the boat and have her drive and operate everything. The wife's blessing makes life afterwards a lot easier!

• Like 3

I have a '17 21 VLX .  Great boat that out surfs my buddies 22 NXT all day.  Not near as big.  I wish we would have went bigger.  Rides tougher in rough water and getting over 5-6 people gets cramped for us.  

Here is a picture from a 2005 21' VLX...for perspective the surfer is about 6'2".  This was taken before the advent of surfgate/wakeshapers and so the wave is all weight but I would assume that they've only improved the capability.

wakeSurf.JPG

On 4/5/2019 at 7:05 AM, rothoveb said:

Here is a picture from a 2005 21' VLX...for perspective the surfer is about 6'2".  This was taken before the advent of surfgate/wakeshapers and so the wave is all weight but I would assume that they've only improved the capability.

wakeSurf.JPG

What Ballast set-up and prop you running?  Impressive wave!  I have same boat.

Always buy a boat with more room than you think you need unless you are constrained by storage, money or tow vehicle.

I would have gone with a 25 LSV if I didn't have to tow my boat up and down a mountain (at least that's what we call it in Tennessee) and didn't feel like upgrading my tow vehicle. 

On 4/2/2019 at 10:04 PM, geroyk said:

Well I walked through the 2019 A22 today...wow.

I still think the 21VLX is a beauty, but I don't have size constraints and can get the A22 for less.

Decisions decisions....thanks for the help!

They've done a lot to upgrade the axis boats. When I bought my '17 21vlx there was no comparison between the axis/malibu interior. The new axis boats are much nicer. Definitely have closed the gap some.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:42 AM, goodmatt78 said:

What Ballast set-up and prop you running?  Impressive wave!  I have same boat.

The prop was a 1235 and to be honest the kids were the ones always loading it down but the bow and center tanks were filled as well as the port side tank.  On top of that the port side rear storage area had a sack (probably 600 lbs) and there was another 1000 lbs sack on the seats with bodies strategically located  to get the wake well-formed :).  I would estimate the total weight was about 4k.