Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lead PVC Tube

eubanks

Anybody put a PVC pipe with lead in that bow tank hole?  I wonder how much weight you could get into a tube that took up that entire cylinder.  I like the idea of putting lead bags behind the speakers but was going to see if this could get me an extra 40-50 lbs. as well.

Using a lead weight calculator for an @ 3.5" dia by 8.2" tall hole (which was the rough dim for the front tank on my '10 LSV) will give you about 32lbs. "For a solid cylinder".

Edited by wdr

I didnt see any similar hole in the front ballast tank in our ‘19s, but I don’t actually “finally” pick mine up until this Saturday. May be able to get bags around the perimeter though. You can definately get them on both sides of the helm.

If I were adding bow lead again I would skip the bags and create my own weight tubes. 

Take pvc pipes and fill them with tire lead. Then put those pipes around the bow tank. You could get a lot more weight up there that way than by sticking the lead bags around the tank. 

Now that you mentioned it, I did not see anything remotely close to the old style bow ballast tank. This new one is “V” shaped, although there may be a through hole in it. If there is a hole, it will be under the fg deck which will be nearly unreachable.

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

RyanB’s boat is the 3 piece hull design which provided easy access to the bow tank. I’m not sure what, if any access there is in the new 2 piece tub style hulls.

You are right, I haven't looked at the newer hulls.  But there is plenty of room in mine for lead tubes.

GvIbc8e.jpg

In my 17’ 25, i got  2-50lb bags under the fill hose at the tip of the bow, there was little to no room anywhere else on the sides to slide a lead bag in

Edited by Stevo
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

To fill every nook and cranny -  cement, definitely cement ;) 

And Make sure you use the concrete vibrator. It will fill all nooks and crannies:rofl:

On 3/19/2019 at 9:43 PM, RyanB said:

You are right, I haven't looked at the newer hulls.  But there is plenty of room in mine for lead tubes.

GvIbc8e.jpg

If the OP’s bow tank looks like this, it appears there is plenty of space around the tank for lead wake or equal bags. 

Though I might be inclined to dirch that tank and put in a bag that fill the entire bow area...

10 hours ago, MFknK said:

If the OP’s bow tank looks like this, it appears there is plenty of space around the tank for lead wake or equal bags. 

Though I might be inclined to dirch that tank and put in a bag that fill the entire bow area...

I’ve got a 1000# fatsac that I would love to put in there and take out the factory mls tank out.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, oldjeep said:

To fill every nook and cranny -  cement, definitely cement ;) 

I was halfway think that is what happenened with the ‘BU sinking in that other post. I can definitely see someone thinking it would be a “cheap” way to add bow ballast, until you need to keep the bow up...

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, MFknK said:

I wouldn't since the top of the tank supplies a measure of support for the plastic plate that covers it and that the bow seating sits on.

• Like 2
On 3/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, MFknK said:

20 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I wouldn't since the top of the tank supplies a measure of support for the plastic plate that covers it and that the bow seating sits on.

@sChambleeI did and no issues.. and when no one sits up... I made it to where I can fill bag full and the whole platform rises...

IMG_20180421_192846963_zpsklk8ppsl.jpg

IMG_20180421_161721149_zpsgkrqlrcw.jpg

Edited by kerpluxal
7 hours ago, eubanks said:

The 19’s have fiberglass around the tank. There is no room to but bags up there from what I’ve seen. 

Can you post a pic with the cushions off? I have a couple ideas, but wondering what it looks like...

15 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Correct me if i am wrong, but that boat had no bow tank

The boat had no bow tank. From factory they are built the same way Horseshoe insert is placed where bow tank would go.. I could have added a bow tank as others have on here but not enough weight. If you remove your bow tank, you will still need to construct a platform for you seats.

Same process regardless if there is bow tank or not up there..

Edited by kerpluxal