Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

slalom recommendation for my son

ID AX

So my 2 boys are polar opposites size wise.  My 14yo is almost my size and has no problem getting up on my old HO 65".  My youngest is almost 13 and just hit 80lbs.  He has tried the HO and a Radar TRA 63" (borrowed from dealer) last summer and almost made it up on the TRA.  I have a deep V handle and that has helped but I am starting to think I need to get a combo set and go from there.  Any suggestions on a smaller slalom ski? 

We have a junior ski that my son used - 59 or 60 I think.  He's now 20 and 175lbs so he definitely doesn't need it any more.  I think it's a KD but I'll need to dig it out to be sure.  I'm out of town but I'll look for it when I get back.

I wouldn't go combo, even if that is how I learned decades ago. If the issue is getting up out of the water, borrow a wide body ski. My sons learned on a rented Connelly that had a "tip" wide as a shovel. Once they were comfortable getting up on that, they used a mid-size ski for while, and eventually progressed to skinny sticks.    

@ID AX:  Can you pinpoint what is the element that is tripping him up?  Keeping the ski straight, not enough grip to hold on, etc. as that may offer the opportunity to work through the problem.  One option would be to get him up on a boom just to get a better feel for the ski, also hook the rope from the highest available point to provide some additional lift.  As noted, adding ski surface area will help and are usually more stable platforms to start from.

• Like 2

Bigger is better for getting up. Surface area. Just to get someone on top of the water for getting the feeling of it, use two ski's at first. Then after they've found their balance, either kick one or attempt the slalom start. Like Mackie said, once you are on the rope, shorter makes it easier to get up.

Steve B.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Woodski said:

@ID AX:  Can you pinpoint what is the element that is tripping him up?  Keeping the ski straight, not enough grip to hold on, etc. as that may offer the opportunity to work through the problem.  One option would be to get him up on a boom just to get a better feel for the ski, also hook the rope from the highest available point to provide some additional lift.  As noted, adding ski surface area will help and are usually more stable platforms to start from.

I think his biggest problem was being 15lbs lighter and not having the muscle for a 65” ski.  He has grown about 6” and gained the weight.  He would wander left and right trying to get up and then when the ski dropped out of the handle he would just fall over.  He was so close last year that I think he might be good this year.  I don’t have a boom but I think one of our neighbors on the lake does.  They have been wanting to try surfing and I think it might be a good pull for pull setup this summer.  

I would still be interested in a decent smaller <65” ski recommendation.  

Totally forgot to say this. I had a 64.5 O’Brien siege in the boat on the boat that was a great ski to learn on and was surprisingly light for the size. 

A 63” would probably be a good start and allow for some growing to happen

https://radarskis.com/products/boys-total-radar-awesomeness

Getting balance on the slalom is just about practice and that is all. You can go one of two ways, start deep water which some perfer or learn to drop the ski which can be harder for others. But like said above I wouldn’t put too much thought into finding a combo ski. Get a decent slalom to learn on and just another similar sized ski to get up on. 

• Like 2

Get em on top of the water first. That in itself is a huge milestone. If he is struggling, it will only add to negative drama. Two ski's. He'll be all smiles. Instantly.  Use a combo pair that has the bar at the front of the ski to keep them together to learn. He'll get up first time.

Combo pair with bar

Steve B.

• Like 2