Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Malibu Convert?!

NautiMalibu

Hello all. 

Currently am a Nautique owner. My family has always had some sort of a Correct Craft. Nothing high dollar, super modest boats. 

I've been looking into branching out to a Malibu recently and I am hoping on some feedback for what the appropriate worth might be. With CC's or Nautiques, I have a good idea of what a deal would be. But have never researched much into Malibu's.

Right now I'm looking at an 2005 Wakesetter VLX with 565 hours, seemingly in good shape (a few skins need some work, nice tandem trailer, stock ballast) for between 27.5k-28.5k. Is this in y'all's eyes considered a good deal?

Let me know your thoughts and hopefully I will make the switch.

As in anything used, the condition it's in will really determine it's value.  Their asking price probably isn't far off depending on options, shape and accessories.

Post pic's or a link,etc.

Steve B.

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

As in anything used, the condition it's in will really determine it's value.  Their asking price probably isn't far off depending on options, shape and accessories.

Post pic's or a link,etc.

Steve B.

Thanks for the input Chappy and Steve. Here's the link, tell me what you think. 

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/austin-2005-malibu-wakesetter-vlx/6839290710.html

@NautiMalibu The other guys are right...it all comes down to condition of the boat.  I just sold a 23 LSV of the same year (2005) with 715 hours for considerably more in the same market, but our boat was very clean and always garage kept.  I would go check out the boat in person, test drive it, and then go from there.  I think that price is pretty good but you need to make sure everything is in working order.  I always worry about boats that are kept on a lift for 14 years out in the elements.

The hours are great only averaged 43 a year. Ask him for all his maintenance records, to make sure it was properly maintained especially if it spent its life on that lift.
Pretty obvious what you may or may not want to fix/repair. Tears in the seats 1-4k depending on how many you want to repair.

Not sure why he wouldn't install the speakers and have the boat detailed or cleaned it himself before selling.  It doesn't look like the on-board charger is even mounted.  These are signs of laziness and not up to TMC standards.

Take it for a test drive, have a local dealer go through it.  If you love it, willing to put some work into it and you get a good deal. Go for it.

Thanks for all the great feedback and things to think about. I agree with the lift life. That does make me a little weary. I know the speakers were a recent purchase and just not in yet. 

My biggest concern was what y'all thought of the hours. Before I even digg into the boat and make a trip for the test drive, I didn't want to waste my time on something clearly overpriced. This has been helpful!

Edited by NautiMalibu

The boat looks very clean. Might be a good price. Hours to me, essentially mean nothing. For example, how about a boat with high hours but new engine. Or, a high hour boat meticulously maintained. Or, a low hour boat completely beat up.  From the pics, this one looks nice.

Steve B.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NautiMalibu said:

My biggest concern was what y'all thought of the hours. 

Funny, I hear this all the time, people always worry about this with tournament boats.  I consider 80-100 hrs a year to be about average for the general public with TMC members probably averaging more, so anything less than that is low hours.  The major mechanical things on these boats are very reliable if properly maintained.  To some other posters point, I would rather have a higher hour boat that was well cared for and maintained than a low hour boat that sat on a lift uncovered or was abused.  For reference schools and pros put 400-500 hours a years on them! 

I tend to agree on those points about hours. They really matter only within the context of how the boats been maintained. Although there definitely is a percieved notion that high hours hurts resale. I guess that was one my questions. I am definitely trying to go see the boat in person and kick the wheels so to speak. I'll write up the findings.

Anything that typically wears out on Malibu's of or before that age? 

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, NautiMalibu said:

I can only speak to my experience, I had an 08 VLX and the steering cable wore out at about the 8 year mark (about $500 to fix), and I went through several actuators for the wedge (I want to say these were about $200 each) so I would ask the owner if either of those have been replaced recently and other than that nothing else that I had experience with.

3 hours ago, NautiMalibu said:

Nothing specific to Malibu that would not relate to any other brand.  Steering cables, ballast pumps...just stuff you would expect to wear out.  We didn't have anything major after 715 hours.

On 3/20/2019 at 12:18 PM, eubanks said:

Nothing specific to Malibu that would not relate to any other brand.  Steering cables, ballast pumps...just stuff you would expect to wear out.  We didn't have anything major after 715 hours.

Awesome, I will definitely check into all of that. I've got a laundry list of items to check so far. Certainly appreciate the help. 

A V-Ride came up for sale in DFW yesterday. 07' appears in decent shape with 277hrs and for 29k. What are yalls thoughts vs the 05' VLX?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/d/flower-mound-malibu-ride-wake-board/6846319520.html

I think the 05 Vlx is going to have a 98 inch beam and the 07 v-ride is going to have a 93 inch beam.  Going to make the 07 feel smaller than the 2005.  The smaller boat may not be a factor for you but I would want the wider beam and more freeboard in the 2005.

20 hours ago, Txstoj said:

I think the 05 Vlx is going to have a 98 inch beam and the 07 v-ride is going to have a 93 inch beam.  Going to make the 07 feel smaller than the 2005.  The smaller boat may not be a factor for you but I would want the wider beam and more freeboard in the 2005.

To me, that shuts it right down. The wider beam will win out for me every time. On board space, even with just a few inches, can go a long way.

I'm going next week to test drive and possibly pick up if we can come to an agreement.

Thank you all for the insight!

On 3/19/2019 at 9:23 AM, eubanks said:

@NautiMalibu The other guys are right...it all comes down to condition of the boat.  I just sold a 23 LSV of the same year (2005) with 715 hours for considerably more in the same market, but our boat was very clean and always garage kept.  I would go check out the boat in person, test drive it, and then go from there.  I think that price is pretty good but you need to make sure everything is in working order.  I always worry about boats that are kept on a lift for 14 years out in the elements.

What is the concert about it being on a lift?

17 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Nothing bad specifically, but I would rather buy a garage kept boat rather than one that has been sitting outside for 14 years.

UV damage would be the only concern for me, but this boat seems to have a cover on it and the red has not oxidized at all.

It's a nice looking boat. 

So, two things have come to light now it's on the trailer. First, there is a small chip/gauge on the hull right by the strut. It has been sealed with resin, but they were not aware of it previously. He will take pictures. Also there is one scratch on the bow that is deeper than the gel, so it won't buff out. Curious if it's into the fiber. 

Would these be concerning to y'all?

3 minutes ago, NautiMalibu said:

So, two things have come to light now it's on the trailer. First, there is a small chip/gauge on the hull right by the strut. It has been sealed with resin, but they were not aware of it previously. He will take pictures. Also there is one scratch on the bow that is deeper than the gel, so it won't buff out. Curious if it's into the fiber. 

Would these be concerning to y'all?

Not at all.  If it’s the right price this would not concern me.  Gel is very easy to repair, even if it’s down to the fiberglass.  A good gel guy will be able to fix these issues for pretty cheep, and you’ll never know they were there. 

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, SCMike said:

Not at all.  If it’s the right price this would not concern me.  Gel is very easy to repair, even if it’s down to the fiberglass.  A good gel guy will be able to fix these issues for pretty cheep, and you’ll never know they were there. 

Agreed. Spectrum also makes gel repair kits per color if you want to try it yourself. Many on here have been very successful repairing scratches themselves. 

One thing I’ve learned over boating my entire life is that stuff is going to happen. A scratch or two on a used boat wouldn’t bother me at all. Everyone of us has had a moment we’re we had a brain fart around a dock or the weather was bad and we put a scratch in our boat. If you haven’t, you will. Or it comes from a kid dropping an anchor, board, whatever and a scratch happens. 

• Like 2

Well..he pull the listing after agreeing to my offer price, me taking out and receiving the loan. But at least I didn't make the drive down to Atx yet. That was supposed to happen tomorrow. So it looks like I am not converting just yet...

Edited by NautiMalibu
On 3/26/2019 at 5:55 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Or it comes from a kid dropping an anchor, board, whatever and a scratch happens. 

Shivers... dropping an anchor... 

Well..I missed out on the 05 vlx. But ended up buying a 06 247 LSV. It's in much better shape and I love the amount of room. So now I am officially a Malibu convert!