Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mirror - hang from Tower or attach to windshield?

Argonaut

Assuming one wants a wider view for wakeboarders or hydrofoilers... I am looking at a PTM 140 ... is the preference to hang it from the tower or attach to the windshield? 

I have a 2008 wakesetter 23 LSV with the illusion XS tower and I see Samson has a tower mount (not sure if nice racks has one or not for my tower)... I also see Menace made one - but I can’t find any used ones from them...

ahopkins22LSV

We demo’d a bit for a bit last summer with the 140 mounted on the windshield and I did not like it. The mount, for the cost didn’t hold or adjust well so I went with that experience plus other feedback on here to buy the tower mirror. It’s much nicer! And out of the way for everyone. 

We have a PTM group buy going and working on a group buy for Nice-Rack.  That might factor into your decision.

I have had both on the same boat...Tower for the win and it is not even close!

Reads like the Tower is the way to go :) 

Thank you for the group buy link.

For those with the illusion XS Towers... is the Samson the only contender or who else currently has a tower arm for that tower?

I have the Samson tower arm that the dealer gave me but not sure which mirror is on it. Works great for us. 

We don’t tow anymore but it was simple to remove and is well built. 

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, gregtay said:

I don’t see a tower arm mount on PTMs site.. guessing they don’t make them... or am I just missing it?

It’s not made by PTM. You can either get it through a malibu dealer for the OEM mount or like @Murphy8166 said, he is working on a group buy with Nice-Rack which makes an aftermarket option. 

7 hours ago, Argonaut said:

@BearCreekBum Does it interfere  with the Bimini at all?

Not at all. We have been using it for 9 seasons and my only concern is that it will eventually wear the Bimini at the tower mount. 

I’ve thought about adding reinforcing that area but it hasn’t gotten past the thinking stage. 

After having my mirrors on the tower for the past 11 years, I hated it on my windshield. Tried every position possible and still a no go for me. Bought a NiceRack  tower arm late last year and love it,

My wife hated the tower mounted mirror.  She always thought she was having to look up to high to see it and it bothered her neck.  I'm indifferent, so wife wins and our '19 is mounted on the windshield. 

I think their are pros/cons to both mount locations. On tower, I find its a bit harder to always be looking up but otherwise provides great view/coverage and is out of the way for the most part. If on windshield, I do not like it mounted on driver side, since I like to drive while looking over windshield and its in the way. Seems like an awkward location even if I did not like to sit high. On current boat I got a 180 degree mirror and mounted it on the windshield where it starts to curve back in front of observers seat. The 180 degree view gives great field of vision in that location and with one glance I can see rider no matter which side they are on or how far out they cut. Its also totally out of the way there and I can still fold it down under windshield when not in use or when I want to put the cover on. Seems more natural on that side since that is typically the side you are looking the most.

I had originally bought a PTM combo with the windshield mount and 100 degree mirror. Since Iike the mirror on passenger side I decided I wanted a bigger mirror and found the 180 degree mirror on sale at Amazon over a year ago for like $30, brand is CIPA and its been an excellent mirror with no distortion, zero regrets as it does not feel "low quality" at all (it also fit the PTM mount I already had) so the 100 degree PTM has been packed back in its original box for quite a while if anyone is interested in a barely used one in perfect condition (no mount just the mirror)