Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Custom Camera Mount

AKjoe

Freaking genius! I would love to make one to go in the cup holder on the back sun pad on our boat. Same concept I'm sure. PVC the correct Diameter, attach phone holder. 

I'd like to know how you attached the phone holder to the PVC/cap thing. 

7 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

Freaking genius! I would love to make one to go in the cup holder on the back sun pad on our boat. Same concept I'm sure. PVC the correct Diameter, attach phone holder. 

I'd like to know how you attached the phone holder to the PVC/cap thing. 

That’s a great idea.  

The key to attaching the phone/camera holder to the sewer pipe PVC cap is the fact that camera mount screw sizes are universal (1/4” - 20).  So you just need the right length of that size screw and a washer—poke the screw through the cap and you’re ready to mount the phone/camera holder. I used a thick rubber washer on the underside of the cap to cut down on vibration. Pipe insulation secured by electrical tape on the inside is also helps reduce vibration.

I’m also going to mount a professional SLR camera to it to see how it performs—should be much better than my iPhone camera.  

13 minutes ago, AKjoe said:

That’s a great idea.  

The key to attaching the phone/camera holder to the sewer pipe PVC cap is the fact that camera mount screw sizes are universal (1/4” - 20).  So you just need the right length of that size screw and a washer—poke the screw through the cap and you’re ready to mount the phone/camera holder. I used a thick rubber washer on the underside of the cap to cut down on vibration. Pipe insulation secured by electrical tape on the inside is also helps reduce vibration.

I’m also going to mount a professional SLR camera to it to see how it performs—should be much better than my iPhone camera.  

So that phone mount you got has a screw coming out the bottom of it? You have a link to that mount you got?

I'll take any other pics you have of it. I'll be making one this weekend I think.

I will be able to start and stop recording from my Apple watch while riding. Now all I need is a self driving boat! :lol:

Edited by CBray4
11 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

I will be able to start and stop recording from my Apple watch while riding. Now all I need is a self driving boat! :lol:

Brilliant!  I’ll post some pictures and my shopping list later tonight when I’m home.  It was a fun project. 

In the meantime, here’s the link to the phone holder.  The screw you buy (separately) will thread into the bottom of this (the screw comes up through the cap and then threads into the holder). 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXB7SLO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

8 minutes ago, AKjoe said:

Brilliant!  I’ll post some pictures and my shopping list later tonight when I’m home.  It was a fun project. 

In the meantime, here’s the link to the phone holder.  The screw you buy (separately) will thread into the bottom of this (the screw comes up through the cap and then threads into the holder). 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXB7SLO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

Ahhhh! I see! Thank you for this idea! I think it will be a great solution! 

Will that phone holder hold your phone vertically??

Edited by CBray4

if you are mounting this (or any camera mount) to the pylon on a D/D I will warn you, you will be surprised how often you use the pylon as a "handle" when moving up front after a ski..........broke mine like three times already.........and ya I know, rookie move....

Supply list: 

(1) 3” diameter (measured from inside wall to inside wall) PVC pipe cut to about four inches in length;

(2) 3” diameter rubber PVC pipe cap;

(3) foam pipe insulation that is 1/2 inches thick (thickness is critical but diameter doesn’t matter much if you are willing to connect pieces together along the edges);

(4) 1/4”-20x7/8 screw (I prefer a socket head);

(5) rubber grommet that fits over the screw;

(6) nylon washers that fit over the screw;

(7) electrical tape; and

(8) phone/camera mount.  I used this one

My receipt:

A5D50C83-9E6D-4716-9EC0-3DFE97A71E34.thumb.jpeg.6a9e52fb4a54d5d95da4536779affc78.jpeg

Assembly: 

(1) Cut rectangular notch in bottom of PVC pipe.  1/4” width and about 1 1/4” length. Wider if you want to use a thick surfing rope. 

014D1DD6-73A1-4264-A033-A89D4E08741A.thumb.jpeg.4ab7d5515e042e6efff425e067b469ce.jpeg

(2) Fit pipe insulation into the inside of the PVC pipe and cut a rectangular notch to match the notch in the PVC pipe.  I used two pieces of 3” pipe insulation and stuck them together as half circles. 

A7BA3D90-BD16-4FF7-8CAB-41501DFB0FC6.thumb.jpeg.fc9532f5a28a786a35be5859aa34ccbb.jpeg

(3) Secure pipe insulation using electrical tape.  Make sure some electrical tape covers the edges of the pipe (this will help secure the rubber PVC pipe cap and also protect your boat from scratches).

888AC0E6-5D22-445B-8BC8-3898CE729114.thumb.jpeg.da2c84e2da1ee7a983fb4132a0d71e2c.jpeg

(4) Cut 1/4” hole in center of rubber PVC pipe cap.  Place washers and rubber grommet onto the screw and thread through the hole. 

F9CCF1A3-78E0-438D-8D3E-BF84D4924E68.thumb.jpeg.4a2716abae2f5c26b345077b7750242f.jpeg

076D1A80-2794-4891-9A88-27268CA58FF9.thumb.jpeg.bb87d4800c93654408e9a1ca538ba9fe.jpeg

(5) Place rubber PVC pipe cap onto PVC pipe and thread phone/camera mount onto screw.  

67FEF702-C2E3-4643-BE7F-312FD502F025.thumb.jpeg.fd03c39eac19320f35fef4b7fff83eb8.jpeg

iPhone version:

9EC4C871-CD35-4DA9-8F28-00370F7C76F2.thumb.jpeg.2efa19cd0ca79cca6e279e2c95c2caba.jpeg

SLR version: 

84221ADB-5AD5-41E9-8EA3-9D1B127C4630.thumb.jpeg.906b595d3193e9cb4395ea9301daca71.jpeg

D1663438-376F-47A8-96F2-A80B52841F56.jpeg

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, AKjoe said:

Nope.  This one just holds horizontally. 

Try this on Amazon.  Works well. Ram mount very adjustable too.

Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball

I used a foam can cooler as the inner liner, perfect size & will simply be a slip fit.

This concept works really well on a Malibu as the pylon head swivels rather than just an insert ala other boat brands.

• Like 1

I may do this same thing but put the pipe insulation on the outside of the PVC to cut down on vibrations when I put it down in the cup holder. 

Thanks for sharing the additional pictures! 

• 2 years later...

Bringing back an old thread, but this camera mount idea above is pretty sweet.

After seeing how easily @UWSkier records his slalom runs using the ski-doc orbit mount, I tried to do the same for our wakebording, but I could not find any companies with a good mount for the tower of a 23 LSV.    Then I found this post, went to Home Depot, and built one in no time.  I made a couple tweaks such as using the foam can cooler suggestion above, got black PVC so did not need to use any electrical tape, etc., but directions above are very simple to follow.  Then I just bought a relatively cheap refurbished google pixel phone, grabbed the wake-eye app so it only records when the boat is up to speed, and set it so it automatically uploads to google images when I get back home.  Overall, works great and rides are captured with very minimal effort.

I want to say THANKS to @AKjoeand @UWSkier