Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trick Release

Marksa1458

We have a 2005 Sunscape v drive with the pop up pylon. What is the best way to add a trick release? The pop up pylon seems to big diameter to fit the release and it is not high enough for the release to work. Could mount it upside down but not sure it is designed that way and it would work properly  

Is there a way to switch out the pop up pylon that is there or another method?

What are you riding? Comptech releases are great. Most of the boats I foil behind use them. You can set the load for release or use the manual release. On my boat I just have a Bullet release. It is a inline device that has a sheer pin for release. It's cheap and reliable and different size pins are available for weights and activities. With your pop up pylon you wouldn't need to mess with taking a release on and off because it it attached to your rope. 

azwn6k1.jpgMy daughter is learning ballet and would like to learn swivel ski.  She has mastered toe holds and seat holds and is progressing in her skills.  Typically, we are on a direct drive and the trick release fits perfect on that pylon. It doesn’t fit on our Sunscapes pylon. 

Edited by Marksa1458

I had one of those releases on my last boat.  It will work fine upside down. The comptech release is one of the best ones available if the $700 is in your budget. Personally I don’t feel good about towing anyone without one. It’s like insurance you don’t want to use it but when 💩 happens your glad you have it.

Interesting note - I am on the show ski team with the KW release inventor.   3 generations of show skiers still going strong, 4th gen is a few years out but I expect that little girl to get into it too.  Great and very talented family.